It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 21:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 822 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 07 Jul 2021, 17:35 

That’s a bot for sure...but this is a good topic. Thanks, bot!

I for sure can’t remember. I can’t even remember the most recent. I have a few hundred DVDs, pretty much all of them were cheap compared to LDs. I don’t even count them. DVD is purely a commodity item for me, like flour or toilet paper or 14 gauge wire. It does the job and that’s pretty much it. It’s a half-baked format.

Posted: 15 Jul 2021, 16:22 

It’s not worth that much at all, even in the least common version of the flimsy terrible US box. The guy massively massively massively overpaid. The only explanation I can think of is that he owns a skid of them already and he overpaid for this one to drive up the price on something he has 1000 copies of. Nothing else makes sense. This was one of the best selling games of the year.

N64 collectors are the dumbest collectors of all. Anyone who has ever worked at a used video game store can back me up on this. If they have millions of dollars it just makes them rich and dumb. You could buy a two story arcade in Tokyo for that kind of money and he bought shrink wrap.

Posted: 16 Jul 2021, 12:56 

Wait until you have something so big you have to ship it via DHL. Even more expensive than EMS! Shipping an X-0 right now is probably $1000+

Posted: 26 Jul 2021, 18:05 

Absolutely not common at all.

Posted: 30 Jul 2021, 16:26 

It’s been a while since I looked at any schematics but the players I was looking at use a pretty low end system for on screen display. LD players aren’t computers. The thing what makes the LD video signal is a totally different system than what makes text. They are combined later. I think they just use a notch filter to drain the color and all text is %100 white. Same as any VCR or TV from the same period.

What matters is what actual LDs look like when playing.

Post subject: Re: To-y Bluray
Posted: 30 Jul 2021, 17:42 

If new BRs make old LDs more available then…I can’t wait for this to happen with Dragon’s Heaven.

Posted: 02 Aug 2021, 12:28 

I agree that The Killer is the best but A Better Tomorrow 1&2 are my second favorite. Hard Boiled is a very well done movie but it’s basically Chinatown with way more violence. The Killer is pure HK roman, it covers so much more ground, one of the best moves ever ever ever.

Posted: 04 Aug 2021, 17:11 

That looks very good!

I have to say though that this “protecting your investment” vibe is profoundly uncool. It’s LD. You don’t make money at it, you can’t even break even. LD is an expenditure. It drains its fans of money. Ask Julian about this. The idea that you want to keep for yourself the dimensions of someone else’s mass produced product…it seems petty and small minded. I shudder to think how much you must want for the part.

You can’t take it with you, man. Seriously.

Posted: 05 Aug 2021, 21:34 

€15 is indeed a perfectly fine price.

Posted: 07 Aug 2021, 16:02 

Does the player make any sounds when spinning up that may indicate the disc is slipping on the spindle?

Posted: 08 Aug 2021, 13:56 

..Also of note - the TOC are not being detected most of the time.

That’s what I was wondering about when I asked about slippage. Sometimes lack of TOC and lack of Digital Sound happen together. The player checks something as it’s spinning up and if it finds it before the disc hits full speed then you’ll have chapters and Digital Sound but if you have grip slippage or anything else isn’t right at the time the player will just do it’s best to play the disc Discovision style. Slippage will also kill DTS and, I think, VDNR.

Sadly I don’t know much more about it myself.

When you play CLV discs do you see crosstalk?

Posted: 09 Aug 2021, 13:55 

Usually 3700 discs will get you about $3700. Unless you’re too lazy to even list them and then you don’t have a chance of even that. YOU were the one that this collection was made for. You enjoyed it (what you took out of the plastic anyway) nobody else is going to put into it what you did or even a sliver of it. Nobody cares about Prince of Tides in 2021 let alone a rare pressing of it. If someone wants DTS sound now they buy a $5 Blu-ray. Let’s Get Lost was at one point an essential import for US Chet Baker fans but now there is a US DVD and even an Italian Blu-ray. I paid…I don’t remember…for it but now it’s worth like $3 and even then only to the right person.

Post subject: Re: Elephant Condoms :(
Posted: 09 Aug 2021, 14:02 

Meaningless. The laser blasts right through it anyway. You guys can’t see the forest for the trees man…

EDIT: Since there are a dozen threads on this issue I guess I need to spam them all with the video I made about it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3O-vHpHRpM&t=195[/youtube]

I'd embed it but I simply cannot be taught how to do that, it seems. Sorry. The most frustrating thing is that somehow I get it right about 1/8 of the time...long version, use the tags, take out the "s", leave the "s" I don't f-ing know. Some kind of sticky sure would help...its amazing that I was able to shoot and edit the video itself with titles and on-set sound but I'm too frikkn stupid to embed it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3O-vHpHRpM&t=195

Posted: 09 Aug 2021, 14:48 

I’ve been watching a lot of 80s Transformers anime lately. It’s so bad…but I love it. I also bought the Transformers manga that ran in TV Magazine, amazingly now translated into English and sold as hardcover. The plots are so simplistic…basically introduce a toy and put a Japanese value lesson in there, 8 pages, done and dusted. Repeat again next week. Amazing art, pure fun.

Posted: 13 Aug 2021, 14:29 

I agree. It’s a nice collection. Certainly much bigger than mine and contains many discs I’d like to have. I think most people here would agree. I also think most people here would agree that the owner is totally clueless.

Whatever the scene is, LD, records, Faberge eggs, whatever, there are people in that scene, actual individuals who appreciate the stuff for its actual purpose. These people catalog everything, buy, sell, discuss, learn everything. The hardcore do it till they die. Every day. We were into LD before anyone ever flipped one. When flippers are trying to cash in, when they give up, when they come back. We’re still here.

Then you have people who show up out of nowhere and try to tell everyone else what their own stuff is worth. They say things like “you never know!” which suggests they love slot machines and lotto and the thrill of a payday more than anything else. They sound eternally optimistic but in fact they are eternally not paying attention. There is no significant market for this kind of thing.

LD in the US is sold mainly on eBay. This forum is probably second place. Yahoo Auction Japan is very popular as well but almost totally as a way to dump JP LDs outside of Japan.

Now there are other sellers and collectors more hardcore than these but they deal in much harder to find stuff than you have. You are dealing with very common stuff by comparison and you have a mountain of it.

So here’s my question: who on Earth are you imagining will buy this for the price of a new Porsche? A guy with an eBay store? Ha! A doomed venture. Will the guy sell it here? Well, maybe, eventually, possibly, but you’re talking to us now, people who live and love (and sometimes deal in) Laserdisc including the founder of the site and they are telling you it isn’t happening. The last option I guess would be that you find someone who loves LD so much that he’ll spend six figures on it but inexplicably doesn’t have a collection yet.

If I were you my main concern would be to find someone who will take it for any price including free. It’s physically huge and %99.999 of society considers it something to haul to the dump. You are NOT sitting on a goldmine or a retirement plan. “You never know!” Nope, many many things can be known if you try, pal. This is one of them. You don’t love it as a movie collection, obviously. Its an albatross. You won’t even catalog it! Ridiculous! What kind of lazy person deserves $100,000 for an uncatalogued collection? How can anyone even trust that it is what it is said to be? Are you going to even be home when the buyer comes to get it or is that too much of an hassle as well? Should I just put the $100,000 in gold bullion in your mailbox and get the LDs out of the wet basement myself?

Posted: 14 Aug 2021, 14:23 

watched Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
slowly watching these but they are nice.

I enjoyed this series. You can tell the source material is manga. Basically just some fun action.

the only problem is that the blood is annoying. I mean it looks like paint and doesn't look right at times but I guess that is what happens to somethings in Hi-Def. Now if I can finish this and then watch rewatch/finish Zatoichi which I have no idea where I left off. glad LW &C is shorter.

I’ve only ever seen this movie on VHS and LD and the blood, which looks like milk* with food coloring in it, has always looked super fake and since these are occasionally SUPER bloody movies it’s hard to ignore.

*No corn syrup industry in 70s Japan yet, I guess.

Posted: 16 Aug 2021, 03:48 

From my experience few if any of the DVD players I’ve owned played VCD. I think Japanese brands were less likely to support it since the format is %99.9999 pirate releases. All my Blu-ray players are Sony and Sony would cut their own heads off to stop a pirate. I have a lot of retro crap and I’m not sure if I have anything that will play VCDs except for computers.

Posted: 29 Aug 2021, 09:39 

P&S and open matte are totally different things so I would verify that elsewhere. Open matte is incorrect but occasionally useful, P&S is useless garbage.

Posted: 30 Aug 2021, 14:30 

I never watch anything with commercials anymore. Ever. I have five streaming services and 1000 things on disc and whatever I want to pirate. Never ever ever again am I watching ads.

That goes times a million for music.

Posted: 08 Sep 2021, 15:34 

It’s very hard to beat LD going it through a decent DVD recorder, especially for the price, utility, and ease of setup.

Post subject: Re: What are you playing?
Posted: 09 Sep 2021, 00:45 

I’m playing Super Robot Wars V - Premium Animation Song & Sound Edition for Vita. I bought it on release and for some reason quit half way through. I’m starting over and just cleared mission 9. I have no idea what some of these series are but it’s still a lot of fun. Real TM Network songs in-game is nice.

Posted: 21 Sep 2021, 18:56 

16mm film collectors actually have a convention where they trade films and stuff. Now that's specialized, between the high prices for anything recent, on low fade Technicolor, etc. and just how many film collectors are around at this point.

Yes, but these are real people. They didn’t start collecting 16mm because it was Beanie Baby adjacent at the flea market. They aren’t retro gamers who moved into 16mm. If anything they are even scummier than gamers in some ways (a 16mmCon would be a great place for a Columbo script…) but they also can probably afford to fly to the show which is a requirement that would likely tank any LD con outside of LA, NYC, HK or three cities in Japan.

Honestly 16mm overall as a hobby could be massively more mainstream than LD. There have to be more working projectors and cameras and processing plants for 16mm STILL WORKING than all the LD players ever made. They don’t have to wonder if there will ever be a new 16mm real, they can make one and watch it tonight if they want.

Post subject: Re: AC3 Delay/Sync Query
Posted: 25 Sep 2021, 18:08 

I've got the Receiver that was originally paired/sold with the Yamaha DDP-1 Decoder to try...the Yamaha RX-V2090....will dig out an owners manual to configure and see how the two units perform together - They should work well ... its worth the effort as I do like the AC3 soundtracks!

I have the same issue, or rather I will when my XBR-960 dies. Anything modern HD adds lag massively larger than any 90s setup could ever generate. AVR’s don’t add delay to analog channels usually, so it’s just one more reason why CRTs or “period correct” home theaters have their advantages.

It’s not going to fix your issue because the issue is your TV or any modern TV. No period receiver will have the ability to delay the signal 250ms or whatever you probably need because back then TV’s all had nearly identical lag, about 1/30 of a second. Even early (2004) HDTVs like mine, which do fully digitize the signal before then sending it to the CRT, produce very little lag. I’m not sure what the deal is with the new stuff. Everything lags on them. New gear has stupid latency at every step, drives me nuts.

Posted: 27 Sep 2021, 16:43 

There is a mechanism at play here, regarding price versus commonality.

Most of the members here buy LDs because we want the movie, even collectards who mount them on the wall. But there are a lot of people who buy LDs only because LDs are rare and expensive exotic magical things. They think their collection is worth $100,000. It’s sorta movie fandom but it’s closer to collecting Beanie Babies or sports cards.

These two ends of the same spectrum have different taste in movies. One hoards the entire Criterion Collection…pretty much only because it’s pre-numbered like a comic book and called “Collection” like a range of Star Wars figures….which draws their moronic unimaginative minds in…the other type actually watches them all, goes on to read or perhaps even write about the creators of the movie, upgrades the ones he really likes, maybe he makes his own movies and borrows something cool he saw in a 70 year old Spanish film. Nobody who desires a “complete collection” really cares about the quality of anything in it. It’s just a checklist. Every title this person owns exists only to have its box checked, then it’s there on the shelf doing its job. None of them are loved more than any other unless there is some “cool” story about how he got it.*

So the Collectarded will buy The Matrix for some insane price and say it’s rare and valuable for the rest of their lives. They’ll tote the price they paid as a good price, the time they bought it the only time they saw it, etc. Mainstream type A model people only see this version of the LD hobby. People who bought Song of the South 30 years after it came out because of a story they saw on CNN about Splash Mountain. I frankly consider these people to be idiots but I recognize that there are way more of the Laserdisc Forever people than there are movie buffs hardcore enough to collect LD.

If you think about that idea, and that stupider collectors have massively less educated tastes, it explains why common as hell titles like The Phantom Menace and SOTS can fetch more money every year than vastly superior movies issued in fractionally smaller quantities.

Eventually Star Wars, real Star Wars, will hit Blu-ray in a form most fans will consider a near-prefect release. When it does a ton of crap news outlets and even crapper YouBoobers will create pieces called “You Don’t Need Your Old Star Wars LDs Anymore!” and when this happens the eBay price for those discs will CLIMB and not fall. Mark my words. A new generation of dumb Star Wars fans who don’t even know what LD even IS as of this writing will collectively (Collectardively?) decide they have to have it and whatever price they pay will be a good price in their eyes.

* often times this “cool story” makes him sound like an enormous a** but he appears to be totally unaware of that and laughs during the entire story every time. We are all amazed by it.

Posted: 04 Oct 2021, 12:13 

Absolutely not first prints of Lensman. If anything says “the classic series…” it’s obviously a reprint. :) Also these are paperbacks…and not on Fantasy Press. It is a terrific set though, the art is great. This is the way to read the stuff if you can.
Page 23 of 33 [ Search found 822 matches ]