It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 826 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 22 Aug 2020, 05:14 

Oh, that one is funny.

Posted: 25 Aug 2020, 19:00 

I love ol LSD. He’s in Mad Mad Mad Mad World and equally hilarious.

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 00:39 

Speaking of Mike the Wizard, the OST was released recently (green wax, duh) and they wrapped the thing up like a XMas present before sending it to me. I was quite impressed. It goes will with both JP LDs (12” and 8”) on my shelf.

Posted: 26 Aug 2020, 00:42 

I think the R7G lets you see field by field instead of just frame by frame in CAV. I’ve never used it though.

Posted: 28 Aug 2020, 21:04 

I don’t watch a lot of new movies but as for post-LD stuff I wish I had on LD...Interstella 5555...I’m having a hard time thinking of anything else. I got into LD mostly for anime and LD and anime pretty much died at the same time, by and large. Anything live action shot on film deserves BluRay, frankly.

Posted: 30 Aug 2020, 05:09 

I gave up on those box sets. It’s not like they are complete anyway. I get a lot more value from the individual releases. Hare Beyond Compare, Curtain Calls, Duck Victory, Assorted Nuts, these can be had for under $10 on a good day. They are some of my favorite LDs.

Posted: 03 Sep 2020, 19:24 

Let’s hope this “monstrosity” will be fixed and our collective “nightmare” will end.

Posted: 06 Sep 2020, 20:41 

Thanks for the fix.

Posted: 07 Sep 2020, 16:24 

When one studies a foreign language one usually memorizes “dialogues”, translates writings, etc. This would be perfect for advanced English students in Japan...which is anyone under the age of 75, pretty much, since English isn’t that foreign in most of Japan.

The way this is presented also lends some weight to the idea that LD+G was invented for language learning because...seriously, what else use is it?

Posted: 07 Sep 2020, 21:31 

No. It was VHS only, then LD only, then that got cancelled, then the DVDs came way later.

Anime on LD in the US was almost always an afterthought so several series got cancelled. Giant Robo and Nadia as well.

The only company that put out LD and VHS side by side (and sometimes LD only) was Pioneer LDCA.

Posted: 12 Sep 2020, 00:25 

benmbe wrote:
Lord of the rings special edition extended box sets

In CAV.

We did the math on that here once...maybe somewhere even in this thread. It would be a lot of discs, long story short. :)

Posted: 14 Sep 2020, 00:43 

I don’t think your train of thought is correct. However LDs were made mostly the same way that CDs, and DVD, and every other optical disc is made so if you want to know more there has to be TONS of data on this.

Your example of a rubber stamp doesn’t take into account gain adjustment. A rubber stamp is “open loop” whereas the LD signal has ways of making itself immune to minor fluctuations in signal strength. The reason other people say certain discs are great and you don’t see it is because no two setups are the same. Actual LD viewing on one setup is impossible to duplicate on the other end. This why Youtube uploads and screen captures are nearly useless except for entertainment. People who have high end decks can’t even seen the horrendous red noise that comes with every disc played on an S201.

Posted: 16 Sep 2020, 17:39 

https://news.avclub.com/alejandro-jodorowsky-is-mixed-on-dune-trailer-industr-1845076523

Since I’m not a fan of any version of Dune I don’t have anything intelligent to say about it and I wasn’t going to post in this thread but today I read this and it was interesting.

“We can see that it is industrial cinema, that there is a lot of money, and that it was very expensive,” he said. “But if it was very expensive, it must pay in proportion. And that is the problem: There [are] no surprises. The form is identical to what is done everywhere. The lighting, the acting, everything is predictable.”

“Industrial cinema is incompatible with auteur cinema,” he continued. “For the former, money comes before. For the second, it’s the opposite, whatever the quality of a director, whether my friend Nicolas Winding Refn or Denis Villeneuve. Industrial cinema promotes entertainment, it is a show that is not intended to change humanity or society.””

In recent years mega studios have almost engineered out movies that won’t make their money back. Even when they are hated by almost everyone (Transformers, DC movies) make billions. This probably will too but I’d rather watch A Boy and His Dog or Moon. Movies designed to make $1B in China are always going to be Cirque du Soleil at the core. Quality is irrelevant.

Posted: 17 Sep 2020, 00:52 

I’m so glad there was something on the disc and that it wasn’t rotted.

The easiest time I’ve had with putting LDs on Youtube goes like this: play LD into DVD recorder, put DVD in computer, drag VOB files onto Youtube upload page. (Result: https://youtu.be/6oK6X5uikyI)

I’d get better results if I captured the DVD recorder’s HDMI out but I don’t really care that much.

Posted: 17 Sep 2020, 02:17 

No, it’s not all about the money. It just is for most movies. Angel’s Egg didn’t make anyone rich and I don’t think anyone ever thought it would. The world needs all of it. Star Wars and Solaris.

I only mentioned Moon because it was popular. Slaughterhouse 5 is a better example or Fahrenheit 451, Brazil, Dark City, Idiocracy. Most of these were in fact to make money on some level, obviously not record breakers. With the entire planet occupied by capitalists you have no choice as an artist but to turn out some dough. These movies however, medium budget but genuine stuff, are almost forgotten. When he describes industrial cinema he’s talking about these movies with budgets so massive that they end up dragging the movie down due to the amount of...insurance..assurance...you need that the money will come back. With a movie as big as Marvel crossover stuff the movie becomes a AAA short term investment. They don’t give a guy $250M to make a movie that earns $260M. They want $1B. If you can’t deliver a movie that delivers like Transformers 4 then they will take their $250M and give it to some hack who will. If Dune has been chosen to be put through this meat grinder of compromise then it might still turn out fine. Some genres just need $$$ to exist, and these days adaptations are more likely to be oppressively faithful to a flaw and less like...The Running Man or even The Shining. It might be Justice League though. Dune is hella bleak and I’m not sure if that’s actually such a license to print money. It could be another John Carter of Mars.

Posted: 18 Sep 2020, 20:50 

Yeah. In LD days you knew a guy had a sub because it’s required to even hear 5.1 but for DVD they had to make mixes compatible with the crappy speakers that fit into TVs that are only 2” thick and some of that stuff gets completely confused by excessive bass. Horrible waves of nonsense coming out of those little Bluetooth pieces of bleep when the low freqs get thick.

Posted: 21 Sep 2020, 19:04 

The image of the 99 blows away the others. However it’s also less reliable.

Buy all three and learn to fix stuff. That is the ONLY way you’ll be a happy LD user. If that scares you, give up now.

Im not in PAL land but it seems like even in the UK half the discs are NTSC. As an American I’ve imported half my collection but never had any interest in PAL LD except for some music titles that have all rotted. IMHO PAL LD is %99.99 worthless.

Posted: 24 Sep 2020, 15:41 

You don’t seem to understand how much AI goes into these things. It’s like if I paused the LD and had someone draw the frame themselves again. There is little trace of the original if they don’t want there to be. In the end %80 of the color resolution will have been fabricated by software. It’s like motion smoothing but within a single frame. When essentially oversampling (using more than one LD) and performing post processing that takes a day to render you absolutely can make a better image than you will get with an actual LD player. This is mostly because of the AI but also because
you’re “playing” the LD in a way that gives a better image than any player ever built by Pioneer alone you have way more information and likely zero noise.

Would scanning the print look better. ABSOLUTELY. A high quality HD version of a high quality anime is a rare and special thing though. Not everything can be the Unico double feature BR. Most of the time the feature isn’t worth the treatment and if it is often the masters are lost. This is as good as current knowledge allows for this particular work.
If you've ever heard the sole sub-contractor who does all of this restoration work and disc authoring by himself for Discotek in a interview you'd know he doesn't really all spend that much time on any given project. Now granted, I think because of the nature of this current project he's likely to spend a ton of time just learning the process.

I use to own all the A-ko releases on VHS, then later upgraded from those to the DVDs. Personally, finding this project very interesting, but also no plans of buying it when it releases. Could the picture quality be better? Well certainly, and good luck to him in this seemingly time consuming process. But for me, I'll stick with the DVD box set that I'm very happy and content to own.

But like some of you, I'm more intrigued by the possibilities of what this project means for lost media restoration as a whole moving forward. Sentai Filmworks caught flack for their Maiden Japan label Blu-Ray release of "Xabungle" not even two years ago because that title, like A-ko, no longer has a master copy and so they ripped LDs for that release. Sadly, I missed out on buying that limited release before it sold out and the flippers began re-marketing it for $200. But just the fact it finally got licensed and released should have been enough to have made everyone who was fortunate enough to have scored a copy very happy.

That Xabungle collection sat around for a long time. I got it when it hit $24.99 last year.

Posted: 24 Sep 2020, 15:45 

We’re all very interested in parts.

Post subject: Re: Rot and rot ratings
Posted: 25 Sep 2020, 00:00 

That’s correct. Many users don’t know what rot is. Most LD users know about the existence of something called “rot” but most LD users live outside of the UK and don’t collect super early titles or PAL imports. I myself have encountered very very few rotters...I think two. Both were pre-1985. The only copies of Beauty and the Beast WIP I’ve seen play fine. New users (in 1990 and today) think every kind of defect is rot. Dirt in the stamper? Rot. Warped? Rot. Detective master? Rot. Two rolling dropouts on a 100 minute disc? That’s rot too.

Something else...this isn’t aimed at anyone in particular but a certain...genre of dude... If a guy buys one copy of Eraser and it’s rotted...and another that’s rotted, and another...that’s because his brain is rotted. Stop buying famously rotted copies of a famously rotten movie! Why the hell would anyone “try like hell to find a clean copy” of some terrible film that doesn’t rot in any other format? Use the brains God gave you and GIVE UP DUMMY. Why is THIS the challenge you’ve put upon yourself? Can I suggest sit-ups? Maybe Great Books? Because rare LDs that suck isn’t a good hobby for anyone. All that junk isn’t going to fit in your coffin, kid.

Posted: 25 Sep 2020, 00:38 

I knew what I was getting. LDs on a BluRay. It looks fine.

It takes an entire shed to store 35mm masters of year long TV series. A garage for Kinnikuman or Dragonball. Anime is cheap, CHEAP. TV anime is even cheaper. They busted their asses to get that thing to a telecine guy before a deadline so they’d have a tape to duplicate for broadcasters. They weren’t that concerned with the original since it had no known use at the time. Ten years later...still no use, maybe it got lost.

It sucks about A-ko and Flashback 2012, but less so for Xabungle. :)

Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
Posted: 25 Sep 2020, 00:50 

I recently have gotten really into mahjong. Now that I can play all these games it’s like a world has opened up. To truly understand PC Engine and Saturn you need to learn a little Japanese...but also I think a little mahjong.

Post subject: Re: Sega Saturn
Posted: 25 Sep 2020, 21:16 

Nope. That’s some dumb matching thing that became popular as Shanghai! on the Amiga. The tiles are the same and that’s it, the mahjong equivalent of making a domino run. Mahjong is more like poker. Riichi mahjong (Japan style) is another order of magnitude more complex but basically the same. The stuff in video games is two player Riichi mahjong which pretty much only exists in video games. Four player is for sure where it’s at and there are “serious” mahjong games like that (Kiwame is the most popular I think) but most have giant robots and stripping and super moves and such.

Posted: 27 Sep 2020, 15:04 

Seek traditional employment.

Post subject: Re: Coming out of Storage
Posted: 27 Sep 2020, 19:38 

takeshi666 wrote:
D) All of the above

I agree with this. The best way to break a LD player is to ship it. The 2nd best way to break a player is to never turn it on. If you expect these machines to last they need to be in rotation.
Page 14 of 34 [ Search found 826 matches ]