It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 05:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 818 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 06 Jul 2022, 17:08 

It’s probably not the laser. It’s almost never the laser.

I wouldn’t move a single potentiometer without service information, tools, and a test disc.

LD is 45 year old analog SD video and that isn’t a particularly high end deck to begin with. First and foremost: do you have enough experience with LD to know what kind of quality to expect? Are you trying to do the impossible?

EDIT: I watched the video, definitely a legit issue. Top Gun looks a little rotty. Noise everywhere. How many other discs do you have?

Posted: 06 Jul 2022, 17:24 

I have a slightly newer Panasonic DVD recorder (mine does HDMI) and I agree the result is impressive. I also agree that it doesn’t really matter what player you hook up to it, they all end up looking more or less like a CLD-99 after going through this process.

Post subject: Re: I always wanted one...
Posted: 18 Jul 2022, 21:24 

Hi Rob, I live in Ann Arbor.

Posted: 19 Jul 2022, 16:47 

Yes, all of that.

Also, when someone says your Laserdisc player has a laser issue…always question that. It’s much more likely to be a host of other smaller issues. Usually the run time needed to wear out a laser is several times what’s needed to wear out the belts, the grip ring, power supply, spindle motor, etc in addition to rotting plastic gears and capacitors. I’ve owned about a dozen players, fixed all of them at least once, I currently have seven decks with one actually working, I’ve never worn out a laser.

Posted: 26 Jul 2022, 22:31 

Yeah. Those movies were fun but I'm glad I watched them when I watched them. I can't imagine sitting through that much murky CG now, let alone 10 or 20 years from now. What wouldn't I rather be doing than watching those Frodos ride that dang tree for an hour...

Post subject: Re: Marantz 2275 receiver
Posted: 01 Aug 2022, 13:23 

That’s an excellent stereo receiver. I have a 2235 in my living room which I use exclusively for music because there is no %¥*#@-ing TV in my living room. That unit can be refurbed forever, a timeless masterpiece.

For home theater you buy some made in China POS every few years because nothing lasts anymore.

Posted: 01 Aug 2022, 19:25 

(WARNING: Kinda serious, kinda not, and either way, this is definitely not for the feint of heart. I'm posting only because this is, technically speaking, an alternative.)

Buy a player you don't mind modding, mod the player to work with a Domesday Duplicator, capture the signal on your computer, decode the output to a file over the course of 6-24 hrs/side. Easy peasy. :)

Seriously, it is now possible to get the AC3 signal from DdD output and, with care, generate video captures that contain the original DD audio. It's definitely not easy, or recommended for people who just want to spin their discs on a Saturday night. I'm just saying it's an alternative, albeit a pretty outlandish one.

Have you or someone you know actually done this????

Come on, don’t be lazy, it only takes a week to watch the movie.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 10:58 

I’m not aware of any such release.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 15:34 

I’ve never found round bottomed sleeves from US sources that aren’t slightly oversized. That may drive you nuts but it may not. They’ll still fit fine but they are larger.

I get my stuff from Bags Unlimited usually.

Posted: 15 Aug 2022, 14:14 

Check interest rates…why? I’m not in the bond market or anything.

My advice: don’t spend all your money and then gripe when you’re broke because you left yourself open to commodity fluctuations. If gas goes up %40 and now you’re totally broke you obviously were on the edge before the price increase.

Posted: 19 Aug 2022, 17:03 

LD players are breakage prone and spares are rare, even more rare the experience and knowledge needed to repair them.

$25 this way or the other is meaningless. LD fandom can only go two ways. You’ll either quit within a year or two or you’ll own 15 players and 1000 discs. If you end up being a mega fan you won’t care about anything like the concept of “a deal”, and if you end up quit every dollar is wasted so either way $25 doesn’t matter.

The S201 is a POS but certainly not the worst, it could be a Sony. If it works and it’s local, buy it.

All of the M series Pioneers suck. Avoid.

The M-V6027 looks to be a clone of a Pioneer ‘oke deck, perhaps a 604? That would probably be the best bet performance wise but it may break a m-holder or something.

Don’t ship any player. If you can’t buy it locally, don’t buy it.

Older players are built like tanks and last longer but later players have more features and better performance.

In general I don’t recommend anyone get into LD in 2022. It’s pointless if you don’t have a collection, this is your chance to avoid a mistake.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
Posted: 12 Sep 2022, 16:27 

I don’t get my discs dirty so I rarely clean them but Windex works great, despite whatever the next post says. I’ve used it for 30 years on LD with no issue.

Posted: 03 Oct 2022, 20:23 

A decent minimal standard, yes. Your composite cable should be at least as good as the free one Pioneer gave you. Beyond that though I’d save the money for a better broken DVD recorder, a JVC with HDMI out. The one I have will make a LDV2200 look like a CLD-99…to the untrained eye, anyway. It really is that transformative.

Posted: 07 Oct 2022, 14:01 

A decent minimal standard, yes. Your composite cable should be at least as good as the free one Pioneer gave you. Beyond that though I’d save the money for a better broken DVD recorder, a JVC with HDMI out. The one I have will make a LDV2200 look like a CLD-99…to the untrained eye, anyway. It really is that transformative.

Great. Thank you for the information. I'll keep my eyes out for the JVC.

Hello again.
Found a JVC MV150 on eBay $115.00
Do you know if this is a good buy. Good filter?
ThAnk you!

I think that’s the one I have, I’ll have to check. If it is I recommend it highly. I’ve looked it up before and posted it here before but I can’t find squat in a search. If you’re better maybe you can.

If you can get a deal on one because the VCR or DVD sections are broke, do it. They are just going to break anyway and you only want the pass-through.

I watched maybe 50 VHS tapes on mine before it started to refuse to load them. The DVD side still works, I think.

EDIT: I found my old post and according to it mine is the JVC DR-MV150B.

Posted: 07 Oct 2022, 20:28 

For some reason I don’t like this thread.

Posted: 11 Oct 2022, 11:49 

After talking about it for years I made a video about this subject, more or less. It’s in my signature.

Posted: 14 Oct 2022, 10:12 

This unit applies DNR, color boosting, and overall stabilization, and of course puts out 480p over HDMI which is also great. When I say it will make a LDV2200 look like a CLD-99 I was only exaggerating slightly. It was mainly made to work with VHS and television so it’s a serious first aid sorta of device. It doesn’t have to work as hard to clean up LD. :)

Post subject: Re: Pioneer CLD-D502
Posted: 18 Oct 2022, 10:01 

I just picked up a CLD-D502 at Goodwill for $20. I bought it as a backup for my CLD 95 which I haven't had any problems with and I like very much but I use it a lot and am getting ready to move and am afraid it may get damaged in the move.

I hope the CLD-D502 works. From the outside it looks in very good condition. I was at Goodwill with my wife so I couldn't just check out with it right away nor carry it around. The thing was so big it wouldn't fit in the cart without putting it on its side. I may have damaged it just moving it around in the cart at goodwill! I hope not.

I don't care about features really just picture and sound. Has anyone ever compared the CLD-95 and CLD-502 just for picture and sound quality?

You have both players. Why are you asking for the judgement of others?

The original poster did the same thing, “Tell me what I just bought.” YOU have it, WE don’t. Nobody is in a better position than you to know what you bought.

Post subject: Re: S-Video Cables
Posted: 29 Oct 2022, 00:06 

You’re comparing garbage to overpriced boutique stuff. A Kia versus a Koenigsegg. The sane money is on decent mid grade. There is no upgrade to be had beyond the basic spec, just don’t buy total trash.

Posted: 02 Nov 2022, 11:52 

ldfan wrote:
I've never seen this movie even though it's from my generation. Is it even good? ;)

If you like bad movies it’s great. It really is galactically stupid. Even I enjoy it.

Posted: 03 Nov 2022, 12:32 

When my friend and I originally rented Commando I didn’t even notice how unique it was. The Freddie Mercury bad guy, “let off some steam”, the very premise of the thing. There were a lot of craption movies for rent or on cable back then…When I revisited the movie in the 90s is when I discovered how coke fueled and homoerotic it is.

Post subject: Re: What is CX?
Posted: 04 Nov 2022, 20:58 

Digital on most movies will be louder than the analog. It’s also quieter. Redbook has a higher SNR than analog LD audio so this will always be the case unless someone screwed up.

CX is not a relevant concern for %99.99 of all LD owners. If the disc is CX encoded then you want it on. There are very few decks ever made that will allow you to turn it off if the disc is CX encoded.

Older players had a button that cycled between L, R, and Stereo. When Digital sound was implemented it then was changed to cycle through all four tracks. Since a CX button was pretty much useless they integrated the button for that into the audio button so it basically does nothing unless you had a pre-CX disc and you wanted to turn the CX off. I don’t know of a single disc that I would want where this is even possible. I’ve been an LD user for 30 years and I’ve never once switched off CX.

Just forget about it.

Post subject: Re: What is CX?
Posted: 06 Nov 2022, 15:56 

In %99.99 (perhaps %100) of all cases the same master is used on both digital and analog tracks of an LD. With that being assumed then the difference (on the disc) is that the digital has a higher SNR and less distortion. Player hardware matters greatly however one assumes if your analog stage is exceptional then so is your digital stage.

Verdict: people like distortion.

Post subject: Re: FIX CRACKED LASERDISC
Posted: 18 Nov 2022, 18:51 

Holy crap, something hit that LD hard.

Never play any cracked LD. No working player is worth less than any cracked LD…and if you’re playing cracked LDs that player won’t be working for long.

Posted: 01 Dec 2022, 21:16 

But WHY? Why is the record less of a thing because the master is digital? Why does it have to be an all analog path, as Rein-O says? What relevance is that? Why is the CD perfectly logical just because it’s digital? Doesn’t it matter than CD is lower quality than any professional master nowadays? You can downconvert 24 bit 96khz digital down to redbook and that’s perfectly fine but you think you’ll hear deficits in the master on the LP? What?

To be clear, I’m not trying to talk ANYONE into record collecting and I love both LP and CD. Just got one of each in the mail the other day.
Page 27 of 33 [ Search found 818 matches ]