It is currently 03 Aug 2021, 13:59

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 558 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 20:03 

What hurt it was that it costs twice as much (at least) as a more fun machine, had nothing like the kind of software people actually wanted (Sega/Nintendo) and the game pad was crap. The early 90s was ground zero for massive companies blowing huge money on terrible controllers that any gamer on earth could have told them was crap.

Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 22:22 

takeshi666 wrote:
Oh is that what they call it?

It sounds confusing since it doesn't actually reverse anything. Well, except the disc I guess...

It reverses the media, exactly like an auto reverse cassette tape player does, rather than flipping the entire thing. It’s seems very straight forward.

Post subject: Re: NEO GEO (Owners Only)
Posted: 10 Jun 2021, 23:04 

After many years of collecting parts and sitting on them, this year I finally completed my Super Duper Super Gun/MVS in a Can. Here is a video of me showing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odbb7xeWuOQ

The goal was to make playing arcade boards without a cabinet safe for the board and the user, all ages, etc.

To celebrate I bought a Guatemalan copy of KOF 2001 for $55 (shipped!) which should be here soon. I wasn't a big fan of this game when it came out and its easily my least played KOF so this should be very fun. Until then I've been playing some sports games. I somehow lost my copy of Super Baseball 2020 which really bugs me because I love that game and also...how does one loose a friggn MVS cart? They are huge!

Street Slam: a hand drawn knock-off of NBA Jam who's main distinguishing feature is that its 3-on-3. I like what's here but its not that flashy compared to Baseball Stars 2 or whatever, almost no ending, lots of identical players, etc. I still like it a lot though, especially versus.

Super Sidekicks 3: At the time a very old fashioned looking soccer game that has aged massively better than FIFA or whatever. I can actuality see what I'm doing, which is more than I can say for anything on "Next Gen" hardware from the period. Gameplay is surprisingly sophisticated, lots of cool tackle animations, great ball control, but again its kind of weak on the arcade-grade flourish you'd see from other Neo games.

In other SNK news, I got one of those NGP backlights. I'll mention it here when I get around to installing it.

Post subject: Re: getting out of storage
Posted: 14 Jun 2021, 19:54 

They never melt unless super heated. LD plastic is super stable.

Posted: 14 Jun 2021, 23:50 

I didn’t realize you meant no AC. If there was a lot of temp changes, particularly in the higher range, that could be very bad.

Posted: 15 Jun 2021, 13:24 

There are so many “science” shows these days that cover basically the exact same ground but most of them stink. Cosmos has what so many lack; a thesis.

Posted: 16 Jun 2021, 14:27 

82 is kinda high but probably not an issue.
Well it'd better not be, because my apartment can go up to 86 during summer.

So wait, you guys have single payer healthcare but no air conditioning? That’s impressive. If my house hit 86 I’d probably...end up in the hospital. I hate heat and cannot stand it.

Air conditioning is pretty much the number one thing you need to archive anything, LDs, stamps, comics, quilts, guitars, anything. AC not only controls temp but also humidity.

Posted: 17 Jun 2021, 11:39 

Everything about ultramarathon is weird. Alien. I feel like in the course of the development of that sport we’ve discovered a new sub-species than can run 1000x harder than any normal human ever possibly could even if being chased by dogs. Most humans would RATHER be eaten by dogs because it’s less painful than running 50 miles a day for a week and living in caves.

There are those people (all women so far, I think) that can see a much more developed range of yellow than anyone else and it wasn’t discovered until the 20th century. There’s a lot to learn about humans.

Posted: 17 Jun 2021, 13:14 

Yes, but you’re also genetically different from large parts of the population. You clearly enjoy running...or enjoy hurting yourself. One way or another that’s not something everyone likes. Either way it’s super impressive, to run like Melos.

A friend of mine loves running and he married a lady who also loves running. They just run and run and run. It’s amazing, and it’s proof we are very different. I’ve done some running in my life, never more than like two miles, I learned that it NEVER is as fun as it is for people like you and them. My experience with weight training is similar. It’s never ever easier and it hurts every time. These days my only real exercise is that I rarely sit down and every time I climb stairs (which is dozens of times a day) I sprint up them at max speed.

Yesterday my six year old and I were flying model rockets in the park. That’s a lot of waiting and a lot of sprinting. Paintball is the same way. On a perfect day, I do enjoy running as fast as I possibly can for like...20 seconds. It genuinely makes one feel alive. Once I catch the rocket or get to to tower or whatever though I stop.

I guess what I’m saying is that you’re a Newtype, or very probably an ancient old type. How many wisdom teeth do you have? Are your thumbs hooked? Are your earlobes attached?

Posted: 20 Jun 2021, 02:21 

You’ll have a hard time finding a TV that looks as good as an iPad. It won’t be cheap.

You don’t want to use a Retrotink for AV. It’s for games.

Sony is not just a PlayStation company. If they still make a TV with composite in (research BEFORE you buy) then buy that. My newest is 2017 and it works wonderfully with LD.

The worst LCDs for LD/VHS are probably the ones from 10 years ago. They’ve gotten better in recent years.

Korean electronics suck, IMO. Samsung is only slightly more reliable and slightly less annoying to use than LG.

Post subject: Re: Extracting laserdiscs?
Posted: 23 Jun 2021, 02:41 

There isn’t a “platter encased” in the disc. They stamp the plastic disc, then spray that with aluminum to make it more reflective, then glue two of those back to back. The total quantity of aluminum is likely only a few grams. It would be like trying to remove all the paint from your car in one piece.

Post subject: Re: Extracting laserdiscs?
Posted: 23 Jun 2021, 16:18 

You were always told wrong then. There is no platter of metal so you will never prove that there is one. The plastic is the platter, the aluminum isn’t even .001”, I’m pretty sure, because it was spray formed and it’s reflectivity was it’s only needed feature. You can find videos of the entire Laserdisc manufacturing process on YouTube if you want to know anything or everything about it. CDs are nearly the same process.

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
Posted: 07 Jul 2021, 17:31 

I don’t know what box set you’re talking about but yeah, you probably should give it a shot. You’ve got the mind for it. Start at the beginning. The older the better with Who, on average. If you aren’t looking deeply into it by the time it goes color just quit.

Posted: 07 Jul 2021, 17:35 

That’s a bot for sure...but this is a good topic. Thanks, bot!

I for sure can’t remember. I can’t even remember the most recent. I have a few hundred DVDs, pretty much all of them were cheap compared to LDs. I don’t even count them. DVD is purely a commodity item for me, like flour or toilet paper or 14 gauge wire. It does the job and that’s pretty much it. It’s a half-baked format.

Posted: 15 Jul 2021, 16:22 

It’s not worth that much at all, even in the least common version of the flimsy terrible US box. The guy massively massively massively overpaid. The only explanation I can think of is that he owns a skid of them already and he overpaid for this one to drive up the price on something he has 1000 copies of. Nothing else makes sense. This was one of the best selling games of the year.

N64 collectors are the dumbest collectors of all. Anyone who has ever worked at a used video game store can back me up on this. If they have millions of dollars it just makes them rich and dumb. You could buy a two story arcade in Tokyo for that kind of money and he bought shrink wrap.

Posted: 16 Jul 2021, 12:56 

Wait until you have something so big you have to ship it via DHL. Even more expensive than EMS! Shipping an X-0 right now is probably $1000+

Posted: 26 Jul 2021, 18:05 

Absolutely not common at all.

Posted: 30 Jul 2021, 16:26 

It’s been a while since I looked at any schematics but the players I was looking at use a pretty low end system for on screen display. LD players aren’t computers. The thing what makes the LD video signal is a totally different system than what makes text. They are combined later. I think they just use a notch filter to drain the color and all text is %100 white. Same as any VCR or TV from the same period.

What matters is what actual LDs look like when playing.

Post subject: Re: To-y Bluray
Posted: 30 Jul 2021, 17:42 

If new BRs make old LDs more available then…I can’t wait for this to happen with Dragon’s Heaven.

Posted: 02 Aug 2021, 12:28 

I agree that The Killer is the best but A Better Tomorrow 1&2 are my second favorite. Hard Boiled is a very well done movie but it’s basically Chinatown with way more violence. The Killer is pure HK roman, it covers so much more ground, one of the best moves ever ever ever.
Page 22 of 23 [ Search found 558 matches ]