It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 822 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 05 Oct 2019, 07:15 

Dragon Ball sort of invented it so you wouldn’t haven been tired if it yet.

Well, Kinnikuman did it earlier and pretty much the same way but that show only made it outside of Japan in the form of video games and tiny eraser dudes.

Posted: 06 Oct 2019, 15:06 

Please put replacement ECs back in. This is a $700 box set made of the highest quality materials. They didn’t use ECs to “save money”. They were trying to spend money.

If I had to guess I’d suspect that the paper ones you used are a few mm too big but either way ECs are the ticket. Every noob collector thinks they are junk and then has to learn the hard way years later that they are the best. Over and over again we’ve seen this here. The first well meaning idiot I remember doing it was me back in 1992.

If you never crumple the things they are easy to deal with. JP ones are rarely very crumpled. American ones are usually pretty bad.

Posted: 09 Oct 2019, 02:18 

That info wouldn’t necessarily be proof of anything. For one, it would only matter for LDs made from theatrical prints and even then it would only be totally definitive proof if every print was the same which in reality they sure aren’t. By 1994 if anyone was making a ground up restoration they’d be making a new print for it in which case, considering 4:3 was the home video standard, they could very well have chosen to leave the whole frame visable even when it was or wasn’t on the theatrical release. The Abyss special edition, for example. Old LDs with weird aspect ratios are that way because they were at mercy of the best print they could find which may have been a cropped version dubbed in German or whatever. Personal prints are used a lot in the early days of home video and those could have all sorts of copying mistakes in them but if all the OGs are lost the seeing the original ratio listed on IMBD is going to do...what for you?

I sort of care about info like this but the more I look into it the more I realize that the hard data some of you guys are wanting may not exist definitively. The more you look the less there is to believe in. You have to believe in there being a %100 totally correct ratio and there really isn’t one on a lot of things.

That being said...does anyone have a correct list of which Looney Toons are supposed to be wide? That is super confusing to me because Warner sometimes crops things to wide and sometimes gives you a choice, some shorts look like they were designed to work either way. Year of release isn’t the same as order of production so when they go by whatever date in their mind marks the cutoff between wide and 4:3 Toons it’s often wrong.

Posted: 10 Oct 2019, 01:03 

I’ve known some real collectards but never one who would lay his life down for shrink wrap. Impressive!

Posted: 13 Oct 2019, 16:56 

The article seemed boring so I gave up.

From my own experience LD looks great on the one 4K TV I tried (Bravia circa 2017).

The only TVs that made LD look bad were 1080p or less LCDs, particularly non-Sony ones. If anything 4K will help save LDs usefulness because you don’t need any processing to make the signal look amazing.

I say this not as a person who has read a lot of stuff or watched a lot of YT videos but as someone who still has many displays of different generations still in use including a 27” JVC that makes almost anything SD look amazing, game or movie, with zero lag which is one kind of gold standard, an XBR960 which is possibly the best CRT for LD made, a 1080P Bravia, etc etc. In my opinion it is a tie between the HD CRT from Sony and their own 13 years newer 4K LCD. The tube is more subtle, the flat thing makes stuff pop more, both rule, IMO.

The issue is that in order to created the fuzz storm analog NTSC is supposed to live in you need more lines around the signal. CRTs don’t have lines that are as rigidly defined as LCD pixels are so you are quantizing stuff artificially in relation to the lines above and below it. I’m not describing this well but it’s something I imagined working out for LD fans and it seems to have.

Consider the Photoshop filter “Gaussian blur” and how it has to basically work at a lower res than the imagine (the chosen radius). That kind of thing. Hard to explain...

Posted: 14 Oct 2019, 18:22 

A lot of people consider picture quality portability and price over everything else.

If I have a favorite anime disc I blew a weeks pay on 25 years ago then I’m going to love it forever. I mean forever. I have cels from that movie. I can draw all the characters. I’ve driven thousands of miles to meet the people who made it. I have the OST in my car. That kind of thing. He doesn’t mention that. Yeah there’s a BR, cool. Yeah I have it, but I haven’t moved house with it 12 times like the LD. It’s not The Thing. Only the LD is The Thing.

But if you’re only 22 years old then nothing like that could be true so why would they care about LD? Same with people who mainly love Terminator type stuff, they see nothing in a LD compared to BR.

When mail order was two way (one trip for money order, one trip back for the item) people would sometimes wait like two months for a LD to arrive. These days people have already forgotten what they watched two months ago. They sure aren’t going to want to own it two months from now.

If you know, you know. If you don’t know then I can’t show it to you.

Posted: 17 Oct 2019, 19:11 

“Surround” is the brand name for home use, Dolby Stereo is for theaters. I don’t know when that distinction was made but I’d guess when the first home surround processors came out, when was that? Perhaps that was when they started putting the info on the discs. Before that there was no official way to use matrixed surround.

Posted: 18 Oct 2019, 16:40 

I’m...pretty sure that’s not just an American thing. If you’re making $$$ you pay tax. The goods being new/used...I fail to see what that has to do with anything. It’s not like the Sheriff of Nottingham is coming to your garage sale. If you have 1000 feedback from selling stuff you probably should be paying taxes.

Btw, the posters are being babies. Americans are cheap selfish petty people who don’t want to pay any amount of tax for anything ever. They don’t care about roads and hospitals and stuff. They want that %6 in their pocket...so they can blow it on lotto or whatever.

In Europe people pay taxes because they want the benefits they bring. In the US taxes are usually thought of as something you pay so someone else can have something. “I don’t want to pay for someone else’s [whatever]” when in fact everyone is helping to pay for everyone. They don’t see it that way, even people who are so poor they actually *clearly* get more from the Government than they put into it still complain about the system. For example, most states get more Federal tax dollars back than they pay because states like NJ, MI, TX etc pay more. Alaska for example only remains populated at all because of Federal money yet Alaska is crammed full of the most ant-tax nutballs in the continent.

They think they want to live in Afghanistan I swear...all fronting like they could actually continue to exist in a world where the government isn’t doing 50 things for them simultaneously 24/7. A bunch of broke-ass wannabe Kenshiros walking the tax free lay lanes of post apocalyptic future...Please.

If anything this points out how insane eBay’s fees are. Sales taxes runs my state, eBay gets four times that on a sale. What are they doing with the money other than buying more companies?

Posted: 18 Oct 2019, 19:45 

If you’re making $$$ you pay tax. The goods being new/used...I fail to see what that has to do with anything.
Well you're not necessarily making any money are you? If I paid $300 originally for something and end up selling it for $100 years later, I'm technically losing money. The amount of use I got out of it shouldn't make any difference. The point is, the sales tax should be considered collected at the point of first sale , not just repeatedly collect it EVERY time the same item changes hands.

What the hell are you talking about? Once an item is considered “used” it’s immune from taxation? By what logic? We’re not taking about private transactions here, or even LDDB. This is a trillion dollar company essentially operating in the grey market and its 20 years on now. Legally I am obligated to pay %6 for everything I buy on eBay but I have to add it up and report it and pay the taxes my choice and even I don’t do that so clearly a huge chunk of Michigan’s economy has been tax free to the benefit of eBay stock holders for decades. I see no reason to support that.

When any item enters the economy, like a Laserdisc or a car or anything, it’s affect on the whole continues as long as it’s being traded. An LD that is basically worthless but travels around the world via the postal service is still minutely affecting the economy every time it changes hands. So when traded on an international interstate public selling service like eBay there’s no reason to not put taxes on it...especially if the scumbag seller is getting $1000 for the disc.

It’s way way overdue. I spent literally thousands on eBay this year. That’s thousands that didn’t get taxed but it’s also money I didn’t spend at a local store who would have charged tax.

I guess in a perfect economy we’d just all sell used good and buy them on eBay and pay no taxes. I can’t see any problem with this whatsoever. Perfect plan. Hope your house never catches fire and none of your food is poisonous. You won’t have worry about the electricity, there won’t be any. There isn’t a power company on earth that isn’t heavily subsidized by a government in some way.

Posted: 30 Oct 2019, 22:09 

It’s a very good player. Better than many Elite models that came before it.

You should hook it up both ways and judge for yourself which is better. We can’t tell you anything you can see with your own eyes looking at your own stuff in your own room. In period the s-video output was intended to be best but these days there are many ways of handling video better than the best stuff from back then so composite may very well work better on your setup.

Calibrate the display to the player using Video Essentials (1996) [ID3487ISF] and turn the brightness and contrast WAY WAY down and you’ll be happy with the image of this player on any decent TV. If you try to make it as bright as your Blu-rays so you can watch it on a 100” screen with all the windows open on a sunny day expect it to look like blown out aliased crap.

Posted: 01 Nov 2019, 21:14 

I was right up there with you until all the gamer gate stuff plopped out.

You heard it here folks, it isn’t unchecked greed that’s causing Disney to eat the rest of showbiz, it’s actually feminism. Because feminism is a classic motivator of trillion dollar corporations. It’s the women who donate the $200M needed to make this movie and then they just roll it all into another more feminist sequel. I see it now. Makes perfect sense. Women have been pulling the strings on world events for millennia and now even the flawless genius of a fat pervert computer nerd like John Lasseter has been silenced. We’re basically screwed as a society now.
Of course it's completely ridicilous to think that it's intentional. But I do think there's some clueless hiring policies going on leading to this nonsense.

Oh, it’s intentional for sure. They’re commodifying dissent though, nothing else. They are following trends like they always do. They’re not in any way interested in affecting social change so don’t worry.

Posted: 02 Nov 2019, 04:34 

I know that no company at all actually support any real ideology.

I disagree. Any company as big as Disney will support anything that makes them grow and suppress anything that doesn’t. That’s why American movies are being censored for China now. Not just doctored and edited but written to appease The Party to begin with. That’s how much they care about human rights, they actually cooperate with those that campaign against human rights. Even as a macho bro jackoff you should see through their fake-ass values and be more pissed off that are trading on it than anything. After all, part of what they trade on is your meme generated reaction. Your post is free fake Feminist advertising for Disney. It’s a false dichotomy. In crappy kids cartoons with a “4” in the name even. Every layer of it is crass and fake, but you were happy to jump right into it. You paid money to see a movie with a 4 in it and then in your negative review made a liberal hero out of the script. Right on schedule.

“COME SEE TOY STORY! The movie loathed by incels everywhere!” (tm)

Every class president in the county is going to want to see this!

Posted: 03 Nov 2019, 17:42 

Great stuff. I love it. I’m watching Next Gen on Netflix lately so this is very much stuff on my mind at the moment. Make sure to pass your love of Trek onto the someone younger than yourself. It’s never the most popular thing at any given moment but it frequently is the most memorable.

Posted: 11 Nov 2019, 18:31 

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Trider on YAJ or someplace before too. I can’t say what it cost but it probably wasn’t more than $80 per half box or I would have remembered it. High prices in Japan on anime LDs always catch my eye since it’s so uncommon. Most are valueless. The reason why I eventually became a fan of Rascal is because it was $70+ for the LD box on a site where you could get mint Zeta Gundam boxes for $5 per half. That eventually got me curious enough to figure out what it was and now it’s one of my favorite shows.

If it was made in 2001 then there are for sure fewer copies. The interest level in the home market might be just as reduced though leaving the prices about the same (super low).

Post subject: Re: Hot Sale On Rightstuf
Posted: 12 Nov 2019, 22:27 

I don’t get it. I don’t even see it as “another format” at all. Deep down it is, obviously, but in daily use? It’s just a DVD that doesn’t suck. Think of it as being like Superbit or DTS or something that’s there and you don’t have to care or even know.

I’m totally with you about not wanting to get shafted by the man and all that but I think your OCD is just fogging your vision, making you think WAY too much about this. It’s not like VHS versus Beta or HDDVD vs BR. You can’t even tell DVD and BR apart by touch. The players are the same way. It’s fully backward compatible. It’s...pretty much the same thing except it looks way way way better. When I started buying BR I was watching them on a SD 27” CRT and extremely happy. Dumb grandmas and stuff don’t even know there IS a difference. You put both movies in the same player.

Regions are annoying too but...as an American I find being in the same region as Japan virtually eliminates this problem. I import very little from Europe except concert videos and these are usually region free.

Region was WAY more of a problem for me with DVD. It basically kept me from buying it. I did as much as I cold to transition from LD to BR. I still have many DVDs of course since they’re everywhere and cheap but I was never enthusiastic about it.

Post subject: Re: Highlander 2
Posted: 13 Nov 2019, 04:10 

I agree. Remakes of such stylish things are extremely off-putting regardless of quality.

The modern day version of “a spy” is totally different now. You don’t expect him know “every cog” of his Seven, more like every directory of his thumb drive or whatever. You could get the license to the show, modernize it completely, write a better script, etc but by then it would be unrecognizable as The Prisoner so what’s the point? Giving Tom Cruise another $50M?

Maybe if it was set in the 60s and it was directed by Wim Wenders for the first half and Michel Gondry for the second half...probably not even then because why not just make something new with all that talent and money?

Posted: 16 Nov 2019, 04:05 

Ok, some nut made a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLdwuHv3l8

It appears to be a different system so it seems I was mistaken. There could another thing like this though.

UPDATE: this video shows two other machines. Pioneer sure loved building stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8GADxWKEKM

Posted: 19 Nov 2019, 17:36 

This movie famously has no dialogue so there are no subtitles. Are actually looking for this and didn’t know that?

I have the version with Bowie. It’s the same as the one without except for that and the cover which advertises Bowie. They didn’t subtitle Bowie either. There is another version with someone else’s VO (is made to sound like the author but I’m not sure if actually is) which I have on a US DVD. If that’s on the other JP LD it’s possible that part may have subs but I suspect not. Every version will be dialogue-less except for the first few seconds.

Don’t forget Father Christmas. That one is dual language on LD had as the original soundtrack.

Posted: 21 Nov 2019, 23:43 

They would be the same discs as the retail version with very rare exception. Test pressings are for the people very close to the production of the movie or LD. They are used to review the LD and decide to pull the trigger on a huge run. Once that run is underway then promos go to influential players, people like magazine editors and shops. In the record world DJs are a huge part of this but that’s not matters for LDs.

This kind of thing has been done with records and CDs since forever. It varies by publisher. Google “promo” and you’ll see all kinds of ways of doing the same thing. It’s not that amazing or that big of a deal except that Pioneer was so neat about it. Most promos records and CDs just have some ugly stamp on them or they are a special release for radio/DJ play that usually is boring in design with two tracks. Nowadays I don’t think they even mark music promos %99 of the time since music is all worthless anyway.

Posted: 24 Nov 2019, 17:11 

Thanks, that was what i was suspecting. I would have tried to see if he would come down some on pice.

I made this mistake once before on a DVL-909 that even said PAL / NTSC on the front. However, it would only play NTSC laserdiscs, and PAL/NTSC VCD (and maybe PAL/NTSC DVD).

@reno, is there another place to look to buy PAL laserdisc players? On ebay, i see none in the USA for sale even, a broken 2850 from Russia for $530 (price + ship), a 2850 from germany for $1000 (price + ship), and "oh my oh my" 2x 4300d for $3500 (yes $3,500 that is not a typo).

Well here’s the deal. PAL is useless in the United States. That’s why virtually nobody ever imported a PAL player until...probably this forum existed. Why do you want one?

Posted: 04 Dec 2019, 01:19 

If you’re really concerned with wear there are some things to avoid:

The 704/99/whatever players. The spindles are just under-built, period.

CAV discs - spin max speed 1800RPM all the way through the movie. If the release you’re watching is the Star Wars black box then that’s many many miles more travel.

CDVs - low mass but spin at a new max speed of 2700RPM. You can *hear* your motor crying for mercy, even on a semi quiet deck.

Posted: 07 Dec 2019, 06:08 

At some point you have to walk away realizing that better movies exist elsewhere, even without the comforting franchise naming. You’re not obligated to see every movie with the same first two words in the title. I know you’ve seen a great number of movies so I’m not surprised you made this choice.

But beware, eventually you being open minded enough to question the greatness of new Star Wars movies may lead to you questioning the greatness of the old ones...and then what? What happens when you have to admit that not even Empire is that great compared to Bladerunner...or even one of the better episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation?* Are you sure you don’t want to just be an obedient fan? It’s a lot easier that way. Super fans never question anything, they just buy it every time.

Also, most people (I’m not including myself here, but most people...) never enjoy anything as much as they enjoyed stuff when they were six so it’s hopeless asking someone to push that button again. It’s already been pushed so many times it’s fallen off! Push another button!

When I saw Star Wars at six years old I didn’t know what “physics” was. I could barely read, I knew nothing of history or politics, romance, geography, or even much beyond the most basic notion of causality. It was an appealing movie but to a six year who doesn’t know squat it’s weapons grade escapism...that gets less powerful the more you grow to understand the world. I was clueless when I saw Star Wars and it was exactly the movie for me. I’m less clueless now though, aren’t you?

“It’s the story of a young man on his quest to discover the hero he’s meant to be or some blah blah.” Who cares about one guy in a story that huge? It’s all so gunslinger and dumb, that Star Wars stuff. I follow sci-fi because I’m interested in the future of the human species, where we go, the problems we solve, the problems we create, things like that. I don’t care if a guy can finally kill some other guy. I can get that in every other genre. And seriously, the idea that someone would travel to a different star system just to kill something is ridiculous. With the amount of energy it takes to travel that far you could achieve almost anything, why kill some guy? It’s doesn’t hold up to any critical thought at all. Are the 10,000 crew on that ship also really into killing that guy? Oh, of course they are, they’re clones...just like the fans.

* seriously, there have to be at least 15 episodes of Next Gen that are better than any Star Wars movie...easily.

Posted: 10 Dec 2019, 03:53 

I would never frame a disc unless it was already junk. Honestly, I have thousands of records and LDs and have never seriously considering framing any of them but if I were to frame and LD I would make sure it was already junk. It can’t be as good for it as proper storage is.

Posted: 10 Dec 2019, 17:30 

If this is some long winded preamble before you tell us you don’t like Patlabor...

Posted: 11 Dec 2019, 22:28 

Unless you *really* need a preview of Gunbuster in HD I can’t recommend The Movie. It’s missing everything but the title robot...who doesn’t even appear until the end of episode 2 (of 6) in the OVA and even then, IIRC, just his head.
Page 8 of 33 [ Search found 822 matches ]