It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 825 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Macross News
Posted: 09 Apr 2021, 14:16 

I don’t known exactly why I should care about this. Until Harmony Gold is DEAD and no longer influencing Macross in any way there will be many unhappy fans. If anything this seems like a loss.

Anyone who “can’t get” DYRL has had 35 years to try. I can’t pretend that’s relevant. The real issue, IMO, is all the gross Robotech crap still clogging American store shelves and the real stuff from Bandai, Hasegawa, whoever is grey market and therefore always harder to find and more expensive. In 2021 Target has High Grade Gundam models, as well as high quality Godzilla stuff and a ton of other crap. Target. If not for HG there will be Macross stuff right next to it but the way this reads...now it will be and we’ll be able thank HG for it? Backwards! HG is not our friend. Big West “recognizing” HG is defeat. The bad guy won. Enjoy whatever f-ed up Blu-ray they release...now at the end of home media. They missed the ENTIRE anime DVD boom.

I have copies of all this stuff, I have for ages, I don’t care. Screw Harmony Gold forever.

Posted: 09 Apr 2021, 15:53 

Compared to we missed, what’s gone forever, I can’t care. Especially since they put those bizzare Five Star Stories looking tweezer hands on the new VF toys (looks like they put 1/72 hands on a 1/48 model and then just heated them up with a lighter and stretched them...) and they cost hundreds of dollars each...and that all of Macross has been available world-wide since Torrents were invented.

What has actually happened: the anime industry has collapsed the point where Big West has capitulated to HG and will give them a cut of something they don’t deserve. That toy you like so much? Now you will maybe be able to buy a USDM version but HG gets a cut because they have better lawyers. Gross. Or it could be even more worse. They may just rebadge the Toynami garbage as Macross. :)

Posted: 11 Apr 2021, 14:26 

gypsy wrote:
Of course I have HD files but I would still buy US released blu rays.

What if it says “Robotech Presents” on the top and the disc had an unskippable ad block for a Kickstarter trying to get The Sentinels made?

Posted: 13 Apr 2021, 20:08 

Can you compare if the spindle motor on the M90 seems stiffer than the one in the M403 by spinning it with your fingers?

Ok. I think I "fixed" it. I disconnected the M90's motor from the player's PS and attached it to a separate 12v power supply. It spun slowly at first and then eventually sped up. I used a long thin metal rod with some oil on the tip it to put a few drops of oil at the motor shaft. I could smell that foul odor for a bit and then the motor started spinning quickly. I reattached it to the player's power supply and the disc played. Going to let it play for a few hours and see what happens.

BTW... as I had the unit apart, I found this tiny spring inside. Those are millimeters on that ruler. Any ideas where it goes?

That’s very resourceful of you. I’m impressed. Most of our newer members just know how to complain about stuff broken in shipping.

Presumably your lab power supply had a higher current capacity than the one in the LD player. Were you able to see the current draw?

Post subject: Re: To-y Bluray
Posted: 17 Apr 2021, 16:18 

It’ll be less than $100 probably. It’s only an hour long OVA.

Sony still handles it, that’s good. They probably won’t have to mess up the music.

Posted: 17 Apr 2021, 22:09 

They do if they want to sell it to me!

Posted: 20 Apr 2021, 12:04 

Enjoy the time off, benmbe. Nobody deserves it more than you.

I was also canned this year. I haven’t been unemployed in over a decade and I’m SO enjoying it.

I’ve watched a number of LDs recently but Gauche the Cellist (1982) [K78L-1001] is the only new one. It’s a great movie, a great LD, thumbs up and all that.

Posted: 20 Apr 2021, 13:56 

moon-child-1982 wrote:
I HAVE SUBMIT SOME YEARS AGO ...

Go to Facebook. Your achievements there will be instantly recognized (and forgotten).

Posted: 20 Apr 2021, 13:58 

AWESOME! I’m so glad this unit landed in the hands of the person who would fix it.

And yeah, the smoke was probably horrendous. :)

Posted: 25 Apr 2021, 20:56 

Yeah, but nobody buys more redundant stuff than Star Wars fans so you or another SW fan will likely win this. Most hardcore movie people only want or need like two different versions of something max.

Post subject: Re: MADOX-01 BD
Posted: 26 Apr 2021, 13:58 

I’m in!

Posted: 27 Apr 2021, 19:41 

I thought it was a Disc Doctor.

Posted: 03 May 2021, 17:57 

agrees that Patlabor 1 and Patlabor 2 are possibly the finest animated films ever made (especially Patlabor 2).

:wtf: wow I somehow love anime but miss out on this type of stuff.
I've never actually seen any Patlabor but in the past year I've been horribly disappointed with anime that I haven't seen or haven't
seen in many years.

I will check this out but due to my anime tastes being super old school I may be let down :|

You can watch the OVA series as background for the two films, the only two films that exist, IMO. The TV show is fine but it’s not essential. In fact the movies stand on their own very well.

Patlabor 2 is quite possibly the best anime feature film of all time when seen on its own as a movie. Oshii rules and this movie embarrasses a lot of Hollywood spy thrillers that tried to be half this good. When Patlabor 2 was brand new I worked at a video storing lending out stuff like The Firm and The Pelican Brief or The Net. Hilariously inarticulate pap by comparison. I give it my highest recommendation. A total masterpiece. It helped make me the snob I am today.

It is VERY dialogue heavy for anyone, even Japanese. Because of this I’d say subtitles or the original Manga dub are nearly essential for enjoyment. The OVA/TV is simple but the movies are thick with plot and everyone in the movie mumbles! Part 1 isn’t as much like that but part 2 for sure is.

Posted: 04 May 2021, 19:31 

Some of those early Sansui receivers are fully bugged, as in no PCB. That would be a trip. That one being quad though it has to be too new for that.

Posted: 07 May 2021, 11:44 

My local Best Buy reduced its media section to one self this year. I asked the associate yesterday why so few movies and doesn’t seem to get restocked much. He said they are phasing out all the physical media by July as the sales are way down. I visited 2 other locations and they have about the same amount of movies on display. It is sad to say this but I think Walmart is now the largest physical media reseller in the US.

Best Buy also stopped carrying CDs but has loads of $45 records that we already have on CDs. Meanwhile CD continues to be available elsewhere, not for every artist, but for most. Best Buy, frankly, has never been worse. It’s like an indoor flea market at this point where every vendor is individually more important than the store. Oh, you want SONY, headphone? “Those are way over there now because everyone gets their own section.”

Walmart has been a better place to buy movies than Best Buy for at least five years.

Post subject: Re: MADOX-01 BD
Posted: 08 May 2021, 23:35 

I ordered the premium with the patch. Very excited for this...

Posted: 08 May 2021, 23:39 

UPDATE:

After years of empty promises I finally made the video version of my most common post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3O-vHpHRpM&t=193s

Still can't figure out how to embed YT videos...

Posted: 11 May 2021, 11:38 

The problem with eBay is that is used to be a hobby. It used to be for people who had a job. Now the trailer people and Comic-Con carnies have taken it over and it it is a job, their job, and the casual sellers will find it much less worth their time. I have lots of stuff I would put up on eBay but it’s pointless. The gouging, the drama, the changing policies, the ridged semi-auto nature of it, the “offers” and the stupid fees mean I’m sitting around taking pictures and buying tape and answering the STUPIDEST emails for people so I can hopefully not lose money on something I just wanted to get rid off. It’s just not worth a busy persons time anymore unless it’s at least a $100 item and that’s pushing it because...do I really need $60 (all I’ll net) or do I need my time?

I buy on eBay like crazy.

Posted: 11 May 2021, 12:12 

...is that a turtle I hear?

Posted: 14 May 2021, 14:15 

I hesitate to say P2 is the greatest anime ever because of how much I like Miyazaki, Takahata, and Gundam. Nausicaa will always be my favorite, Zeta Gundam and Char’s Counterattack are also very important. In these things though it’s more about the general theme. The theme of Nausicaa really isn’t in the movie as much as it is in the manga. Fans who watch the movie get to see the character Nausicaa but miss 3/4 of the story. Same with Gundam...you won’t learn about the true nature of Newtypes and ones place in ecology by watching this stuff. It’s more about the context of the whole thing, being a fan for years and years, as the creators refine the work you refine your appreciation of it.

Patlabor 2 also had context when it was released. Not just the OVAs/manga/TV and previous movie but also many references to real world 90s struggles with Japan’s place in the world, etc. However you can see this movie on its own sans the entire rest of Patlabor and it still works. It’s a future sci-fi work made for so long that the future became the present and thus the show became more real and anyone watching it can understand it’s entire meaning in a single viewing (unlikely, but possible). It doesn’t require that you be an anime fan.

I don’t think I need anyone to believe it’s as great as I think it does, but it is better than Ghost in the Shell and I do wish people would understand that. :)

Posted: 17 May 2021, 13:51 

LD is not an cheap hobby. $1000 was normal for a player, $100 normal for a movie. That’s why DVD was invented.

Posted: 18 May 2021, 10:47 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/17/22440090/apple-music-lossless-audio-dolby-atmos-support-audio

Finally Apple does lossless audio on Apple Music (formerly iTunes) and no increase in price on the monthly subscription. Ironically, all their headphones and speakers are Bluetooth connected therefore can’t do lossless. Nevertheless this is a good news. Do you think Apple will do the unthinkable and offer lossless video on Apple TV?

They are doing this for free because they won’t want to make a big deal about it...which they shouldn’t. They don’t sell any hardware than justify lossless audio so half of the word is already accusing it of being a rip off and the other half is imagining benefits they can’t actually hear. They’ve been in this stalemate for years. They’re screwed either way. Expect new headphones soon.

Sony has invested quite a bit into various high res Bluetooth headphone setups to pair with their Walkman line. The Bluetooth spec is always evolving...or so they say, I use a wire for my headphones unless I’m in the car and in any car things like “lossless” couldn’t be less important.

Posted: 18 May 2021, 21:38 

Today I received Golden Warrior Gold Lightan GX-32R Gold Lightan (24-Karat Gold Plating Ver.) and I may never need another robot toy again. He's my pal.

Posted: 23 May 2021, 22:16 

I disagree. It have, for example, Ponyo, the US DVD/BR combo from Disney. Sometimes the babysitter would put in the DVD version and I could always instantly tell. The color stands out most with that release, with Totoro there is macroblocking all over the DVD and there none in the Blueray.

Maybe if you’re watching The Third Man or something very old and b/w and below the standards of any format, but having four times the res/bit rate is extremely visible to me.

Post subject: Re: Best laserdisc players
Posted: 26 May 2021, 19:33 

The CLD-99 isn’t highly regarded because after using a CLD-97 it feels like a downgrade. The 99 is a flimsy deck compared to the 97, rattles, not as reliable, etc. My best deck currently is a 99 so I’m not rubbishng it, just being honest.

When it comes to LD, Sony can jump in a lake as far as I’m concerned.

Sony has little to nothing to do with Digital Sound on LD or the names Laservision or Laserdisc. That was Phillips/Pioneer, etc. I can’t think of a single Sony LD innovation but I’m sure there was one. They have a lot of patents and make a lot of chips but they were a very distant third in LD behind Pioneer and Panasonic for multiple reasons.

THX certification is totally irrelevant.

Maiden rules.
Page 21 of 33 [ Search found 825 matches ]