It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 7 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 22 Nov 2020, 04:54 

Hey gang! Been visiting the forum for a while and now I've finally decided to step up and say "hello"!

I've owned LaserDiscs since buying my first LD player (my beloved CLD-1091) back in 1992. That was my first "big purchase" after landing my first big paying job in the field of project management and planning. Being an LD collector/enthusiast wasn't easy back then, as I lived in a small community in northern Ontario, Canada, where LDs were very hard to come by. The stereo store where I bought my CLD-1091 had a few discs for purchase, but the selection wasn't very good. I had to do most of my buying through mail-order (no Internet back then, either) from Toronto or the States. It was pretty pricey.

My first movie on LaserDisc was " Beverly Hills Cop II ", which I bought along with my CLD-1091 from the stereo store. I watched that disc so many times, but I enjoyed it because it just looked and sounded so damn good!

One of the reasons I enjoy watching movies on LaserDisc is probably because I also grew up listening to and collecting music on vinyl LPs and 45s. There's just something that resonates with me concerning the whole hands on experience LaserDisc viewing involves. Just like listening to music on vinyl, it's more than just pressing play on a DVD player or watching a movie on-demand from streaming services. You have to handle an movie on LD with care and attention. You have to get up and flip or change discs every so often. It's an "experience" with it's own rituals and traditions. It's something special and out of the ordinary from today's modern world of "convenience". I'll always prefer my movies to be on LaserDiscs, just like I prefer my music to be on vinyl.

I'm not very particular when it comes to my selection of movies on LDs. What I mean is, I have my preferred titles, but I'm not too particular to the format I get them in. I prefer letterbox, but I have many pan-and-scan. It usually comes down to what is available and the price. To me, anything is better than having to settle for DVD or BluRay. I prefer movies on VHS over those two formats.

Posted: 22 Nov 2020, 16:13 

takeshi666 wrote:
Laserdisc is the format where all the dodgy mid-90s action/horror/sci-fi/martial arts/any combination thereof movies really come to their own. :mrgreen:

Agreed!

Post subject: Re: Your Very First LD
Posted: 24 Nov 2020, 05:15 

My first LD purchase was Beverly Hills Cop II; I bought it along with my new Pioneer CLD-1091, back in 1992. There wasn't much available for me to buy back then. The only place that sold LaserDiscs was the stereo store where I bought the player, and they didn't have much of a selection. So, I thought that Beverly Hills Cop II was a good choice, because it had some action and a good sound track; something that I could appreciate with my new player.

I watched that movie over and over and over again, as it was my only disc for quite a while. But it looked so good and sounded fantastic, hooked up to the stereo. I had a blast with the shuttle dial, direct accessing chapters, and all that stuff I couldn't do with my VCR. Lots of good memories.

I still have the disc in my collection:
https://www.movievault.in.nf/fp-content/images/Laserdiscs/apdc1931.jpg

Posted: 26 Nov 2020, 16:22 

Hey! I got my first cover photo accepted into the database!! :clap:

I know some might think it's a little silly for getting jazzed about such a thing, but it makes me glad to see my contribution added to the project. The cover was for Jeremiah Johnson . There's a few more LDs that I have in my collection that could fill some gaps in the database, so I better get busy!

Just an FYI, being a Linux user, I processed my photos with Fotoxx. It has some excellent tools for fixing perspectives and colour balancing.

Posted: 25 Dec 2020, 18:15 

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!!"

Merry Christmas to all! I hope Santa leaves everyone here a shiny new LaserDisc under the tree this year.

Post subject: Re: Hiya!
Posted: 07 Jan 2021, 18:22 

Welcome to the group! I share your admiration of the great LD cover art. It's one of the reasons I like the format so much. It's great to know that there are younger people like you taking up the mantle and helping to keep these wonderful LaserDiscs from winding up in the landfills.

Posted: 16 Jan 2021, 05:20 

I still watch my LDs because, for me, they are the best way to watch a movie at home. With my home setup, they look great and sound great. Also, they are the easiest format to use; no stupid "interactive" menu system to navigate. You press play and your movie begins. You can even fast forward through the anti-piracy warnings and not be forced to watch them or those blasted studio title sequences.

Lastly, I'm a weirdo that actually likes the ritual of having to flip the disc. It gives me and my wife to share our comments on the movie we're watching as well as get up and top up on any refreshments we happen to be enjoying.

I prefer my movies on LaserDiscs!
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 7 matches ]