It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 103 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 04 Sep 2022, 14:45 

Thanks!

To be exact, the reference number on the Nine box is "KELD-5055/57", though I can see if having a forward slash in there would be awkward on the backend.

Expect covers soon!

Posted: 13 Sep 2022, 21:47 

I just assume that each of these unrealistically priced ebay listings is money laundering.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 05:03 

The short answer for coaxial vs. fiberoptic connections is that when you're talking about digital signals, it doesn't matter. Both coaxial and fiber send the exact same bits. The only potential difference I can think of is if your coaxial cable is so poorly shielded that it's adding noise to analog signals (not digital) on other cables. But even that will only come into play if your cable is absolute dogshit - cheap, standard ones should have no problems. I would just use what's most readily and cheaply available.

I don't have any experience with DVD combo players, but the AC3 RF output should only apply to LaserDiscs, not DVDs, because DVD doesn't store things in an FM signal like LaserDisc does. I'd read your player's manual about audio output options for DVD; if you don't have the original, there should be a scan of the manual you can find online.

Posted: 05 Dec 2022, 07:15 

As long as the source has a sufficiently higher quality ceiling than vinyl (which even CDs do and it's not close), it will make a negligible difference whether that source is digital or analog, assuming a competent production either way. A digital source isn't going to make the groove on the record "blocky" or anything like that. The imprecision in digital-to-analog conversion is no more deleterious to sound quality than the imprecision of analog-to-vinyl-groove conversion. If folks just don't trust digital masters to not be loudness-war'd to death, I can understand that, but it's pure myth that there's anything categorically better about a 100% analog production process.

If it's just a matter of "authenticity," that's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. But it's authenticity that exists in your head, not in your ears.

Post subject: Re: Happy New Year 2023
Posted: 01 Jan 2023, 07:29 

♫ We wish you a merry Discmas and a rot-free new year! ♫

Posted: 24 Jan 2023, 14:52 

You only need to find one crazy person per tape (assuming you're not just laundrering money) to cash in, so the good news is that this doesn't mean people at large are crazy. The other side to this isn't craziness but old-fashioned speculation: "The price of [thing] is going up, so I'll buy it and sell it again before the price falls." The thing can be literally anything. All you need are a few hucksters to get in bid wars with their own alt accounts to make the illusion of a collectable on the rise to get some suckers in on the game.

So we've got a few crazy people, a few frauds, and a few more speculator suckers but still not many. In general, people don't go in for this nonsense.

And anyway, most of us here understand that a sealed disc or tape is less desirable than one that's been verified in a player.

Posted: 01 Feb 2023, 00:57 

Just buy something or don't. You accepted the offer, so either pay the seller if you trust them or cancel the order. At the very least, I hope you've directly told them that you won't pay until you see a picture of the player turned on.

Posted: 05 Feb 2023, 03:55 

I mean... those remotes pictured have Stop/Eject buttons, complete with the square symbol that means "Stop." In my book that counts as a Stop button.

Posted: 11 Feb 2023, 15:54 

With value of niche hobbies being nearly 100% subjective, can we omit the disparaging comments out of having manners and respect for other members here ?
My contempt for speculative investors, both wannabe and real, overrides any of that.
My thoughts exactly. Speculative investment isn't a niche hobby; it's parasitism of niche hobbies.

Posted: 13 Feb 2023, 07:00 

This is utter word-salad. The only thing that comes through intelligibly is your condescending tone. I think I'm done talking to you.

Posted: 21 Mar 2023, 01:32 

Touch: TV Series Laserdisc Collection [KELD-1001~26] Got this in today, and lo and behold, Julien just added it to the database yesterday! Hope a free weekend comes up soon so I can upload covers (just the box to start; it's a whopping 26 discs in here (with gorgeous cover art for each)).

I have a weakness for all things baseball, and Mitsuru Adachi's my favorite manga artist, so I think it was only a matter of time until I added Touch to the LD collection. And I think my Japanese is getting to the point where a subtitle-less re-watch makes sense.

Also got Touch: Miss Lonely Yesterday (1998) [VPLY-70719] in the same auction. I'm automatically suspicious of anime-original sequels to manga adaptations, but I'll give it a try.

Posted: 15 Apr 2023, 20:05 

I've never heard of a disc splitting in half by itself, but it doesn't have to completely fall apart for the disc to become unusable. Anyway, now that I read further, my explanation was incomplete: there are a few other factors that can cause disc rot (the player's laser is not one of them, despite the term "laser rot"). The Wikipedia page is worth reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

The way you're storing them is good: cool, dry, and vertical is the way to go.

Post subject: Re: PayPal scam
Posted: 21 Apr 2023, 13:35 

I'm too scared to even report it to PayPal. They probably won't be of any help.
Report it. I guarantee you that if you should be scared at all (which you shouldn't , because you recognized the scam and didn't click on it), you should be more scared of not reporting it than reporting it. User reports are how platforms find scams and get rid of them. Absolutely nothing bad will happen from bringing Paypal's security team's attention to this.

Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal?..
Posted: 05 May 2023, 03:32 

hawkwind wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/334859521373

It's only :US $26,899.99

Lol, sure, total bargain :lol:

For real, if it weren't for the .99 at the end, I'd wonder if they got confused between yen and dollars.

Posted: 17 Jul 2023, 03:20 

When do we get affordable ssd portable drives? Why are we still backing up files on Mechanical drives in 2023? Is it because these were mass produced or is it really that much cheaper for them to make over ssd?
Depends on what you mean by affordable. Right now you can get a portable 2TB Samsung SSD for $115 on Amazon, which is a lot better than it used to be. People still use mechanical drives because the same amount of money might get you a 5 or 6 TB mechanical hard drive. Magnetic disks are going to be cheaper than solid-state disks for as long as both are being mass-produced because magnetic disks are far, far simpler devices. A big, spin-able slab of magnetic material with a mechanical arm to read and write from it is simply easier to make than an array of trillions of microscopic transistors.

Sorry to hear about your drive failure. Hope none of it was too important.

Posted: 07 Aug 2023, 18:15 

Why bring up the collection market prospects when the OP was just curious about what this thing was? It ain't always about money. Used Laserdisc prices could drop to zero tomorrow and I wouldn't think any less of my collection.

Posted: 05 Sep 2023, 02:58 

My VHS when I was a kid said "The forces of darkness" etc., but that would be about the same time as the DVD came out, so it was probably a simultaneous VHS release of the same cut.

My understanding was that the clip in the video you posted is the theatrical version, and I think it would make sense for it to feel rushed compared to the newer narration. It sounds like something they would add at the last minute for theaters to compensate for the fact that nowhere else in the movie do they indicate that this is just part one, while the more full narration sounds like something they would redo absent time constraints and with the knowledge that there would be no part two. I'm also not sure that the shorter narration "fades in" at the beginning - to me sounds like it's just drowned out by the loud final note, bad mixing either way. Watching the un-narrated climax also just gives me the feeling that the scene was originally scored and animated to be wordless.

That said, if you saw this in theaters multiple times and you're confident that the theatrical narration was different than the early video releases, I could see how the new narration might lead many to think that the early video releases matched what was in theaters. This might be lost media by now, but I for one would be interested in audio taken straight from the film reels for comparison. Either way, seeing as this was over forty years ago and even the new narration was over 20 years ago, I wouldn't feel bad if your memory is just playing tricks on you. Some folks swear up and down they remember the line "My God, it's full of stars!" being in the movie 2001, when all evidence indicates it was only ever in the novel and in the sequel movie 2010.

Posted: 06 Sep 2023, 01:45 

Can't believe it took me this long, but I finally watched Gunbuster. I'm of two minds: Part of me wishes that this were a full-length series so that all the turns and character moments could be properly built up to, while the other part thinks that if anything about Gunbuster were more normal the universe would be losing something unique. I had already heard about how whiplash-inducing the final episode in particular is both in content and presentation, but it still hit hard. The last scene is going to stick with me for a long while.

The new Discotek blu-ray, which is how I watched it, is great as usual. I also just ordered the laserdiscs for the collection.

Posted: 23 Sep 2023, 16:26 

This is really making me want to get to 50 covers submitted... I need to get to work. :lol:

Posted: 26 Sep 2023, 23:34 

I'm really bummed about this. Right Stuf is (soon to be "was") simply really good at shipping discs safely, contrast with Amazon, whom you're always rolling the dice with on how many discs will arrive loose in the case. If Crunchyroll's taking over in fact and not just in ownership, I'm not confident that this attention to quality will continue. And even if it does, I'm very, very not confident that they will continue to sell non-Crunchyroll-licensed titles for long.

Posted: 09 Oct 2023, 02:29 

Mint marks are tracked on the database because that's part of tracking which discs came from which manufacturing plants, and thereby which facilities were more prone to making bad discs, that kind of thing. It's encyclopedic information about the release, not about your specific copies. Admin (Julien) could tell you more (or correct anything I say that isn't exactly correct). Anyway, those red lines will show up for everyone else who has that title in their collection until somebody reads the little numbers off the disc(s) and puts them in the database, at which point the red lines will go away for everyone. So, missing mint marks are an opportunity to contribute in a small (microscopic, really) way to our collective knowledge of all things LaserDisc, but it doesn't mean that any information is missing about your uncle's collection in particular. You're fine.

EDIT: Also, the red stars just mean that someone made an update to that title's information recently.

My condolences about your uncle.

Post subject: Re: The Mandalorian
Posted: 19 Nov 2023, 19:33 

I've got similarly bad news about The Magnificent Seven.

Posted: 27 Nov 2023, 04:55 

Pointless to do that when you can either watch on laserdisc players or use a cheaper capture device to make a backup. I mean if this is going to cost people thousands of dollars just to get a direct 100 percent copy that's ridiculous.
This is something you get if you're a dedicated archivist or a company looking to remaster an obscure movie with no better available source than LD (like Discotek did with Project A-ko before they found the negatives), not if you're an enthusiast like most of us here, myself included. All this comes down to, IMO, is that professional and niche equipment aren't priced like mass-consumer equipment, which isn't news.

Posted: 24 Jan 2024, 21:02 

Have you actually seen that discotek version of Ako, garbage, I can get better with my LD running through a cheap garbage TV.
I think we need a disclaimer posted on covers of said discs that these were mastered from LD or VHS copies.
What are you talking about? Discotek's new A-ko blu-ray is from a new film transfer, and looks like it. I think you're thinking of an earlier release. Also, you're replying to a bot that copied a post I made earlier in this thread.

Posted: 24 Feb 2024, 06:15 

Something to bear in mind re: 3:2 pulldown is that interlaced video only has "frames" if you're stepping through frame by frame, or if you're plugging the player into a progressive TV that has to deinterlace the video into frames. Interlaced video shows one field at a time (every other line of a frame), not one frame at a time. On an interlaced TV in ordinary playback, the "blended frame" isn't visually different than the other frames. The transition between two non-blended frames has the same interlaced look as when the blended frame is on screen.

If you have a modern TV, it probably has a mode for inverse telecine (converting 3:2 pulldown back to 24 fps, i.e. "recovering" the frames (I wouldn't use the word "recovering" because they were never missing to begin with)). In my opinion, though, it's best to just watch laserdiscs/tapes/etc. on a tube television if you can. Deinterlacing hiccups are more noticeable and bothersome to me than 3:2 pulldown judder.
Page 4 of 5 [ Search found 103 matches ]