It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 6 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 04:44 

The 909 has component outs, but I believe even with these units it is till best to use the composite outs. Is that right? ( I have no interest in using these to play DVDs).

Component outs on DVL players is only for DVDs, they are useless if you only intend to play LDs.

If DVD is not needed, I wouldn't keep the DVL players -- more mechanics, dual optical pickup, more troubles ahead.

Did you try to play your favorite LDs in composite/S-video on each player?
Which one gives you the best perceived quality on your display?

Julien

Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 09:04 

Firstly I’ll have to admit that my thoughts align with those of Julien regarding the DVL players so for me they could certainly go. Sony I definitely wouldn’t be bothered about keeping; and likewise the Panasonic, so between the CLD-59 or CLD-D505 it would the former of the two for me - the main reason for this being (as you mentioned) the lack of any digital output for dts playback and also no possibility of using a potentially higher quality external dac if so desired.

Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 12:05 

Isn't Panasonic an alright brand?

Even if you keep it, you'd still be left with three players which oughta be plenty in case one of them fails.

Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 12:24 

Yes fair point regarding Panasonic, was really just considering the lack of spares rather than unreliability and if it still functions well, then as you suggested would be wise to retain it as a back up machine.

Posted: 23 Jul 2023, 15:00 

I wouldn’t get rid of any of them.

Posted: 24 Jul 2023, 02:39 

People here probably know that I prefer Laserdisc only players as there are less parts to go bad.

If you are never going to play DVD's then I'd get rid of those. The DVL-90 will develop grip ring issues like the CLD-D704 and CLD-99 players the DVL-909 will not have grip ring issues, and I'd had some to repair where the DVD pickup has issues that that prevents a good CD/LD section from working. You could probably get more for the DVL-90 as it is an Elite machine. Also if side B playback works smoothly in the first 2 minutes without skipping or jumping back then that is a plus.

The Sony's with the exception of the 850 all have issues and the ones I've seen (I have not seen the 750) had a grainy picture. They require a special test jig to calibrate and I don't know anyone who has one. You won't be able to get this serviced in the future

The Panasonic will need the AC-3 modification but these are harder to service than the Pioneers. Panasonic did make some good machines but less flexible to performing alignments.

The CLD-59 and CLD-D505 are decent players but for longevity they need the improved motor holder as the original gray colored one will age and break. The CLD-59 will give you better options.

You can keep one of the DVL players and remove the Mholder from the DVD laser and put it in the CLD-59 or CLD-D505 as that is the improved MHolder. Then keep the CD/LD laser as that is the same one that is used in the CLD-59 and CLD-D505 (just need to transfer the front plastic added piece on the laser body).

I've seen all of these go bad so I'd just stick with Pioneer as there are more of these out there so finding good used parts has a higher percentage of success. I'd keep a DVl player just for the improved Mholder and then decide if you keep the 59 or the 59 and the 505.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 6 matches ]