It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 15:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 3 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 26 Jan 2021, 09:38 

Hello,

Just to clarify about the output from the SM03. The output is SDI (serial digital interface) which is commonly used in broadcast environments. It is a component output, uncompressed, but consumer equipment does not accept it. However, it is possible to convert SDI to HDMI using a low cost box from companies such as Blackmagic. (We do not provide HDMI output because the companies that 'control' the HDMI standard require an annual payment from us so we can purchase the HDMI interface ICs).

The output is 525i (NTSC or 480i active picture lines) or 625i (PAL or 576i active picture lines). We do not provide deinterlacing because modern day displays now have quite sophisticated deinterlacers (as opposed to older monitors that just did line doubling or bob and weave for example) and some have motion compensated deinterlacers. What the SM03 does do is try to produce as artifact free image as possible which makes the job of the deinterlacer simpler (and therefore produces better image quality).
What I am unsure about is how the deinterlacers handle cadence and it might be possible for us to 'help' in that respect.

The SM03 was designed to work with VHS tape players. The method to record the video (colour under) means that a comb filter cannot be used to recover better video. Or at least a conventional comb filter cannot - it is possible to design one that will recover better video. I am less familiar with Laserdisc but we could look to do something similar if the recording format does something similar. For the VHS project we are also replacing all the electronics and are processing the head signal directly to produce better image quality. Again we could consider that in the future. One of the incentives to doing this is to produce faster than real time archiving of the tapes. At present a 3 hour tape takes 3 hours to archive - faster playback corrupts the image. We are hoping to enable faster than real time playback without corruption - essential when you have tens of thousands of tapes to archive.

So I have to read up about laserdiscs which I will do over the coming weeks, and take as much feedback as you wish to give me on what your requirements are for a laserdisc 'processor' to produce the best image quality at an affordable price.

Posted: 04 Sep 2022, 07:01 

Hello everyone,

Sorry to not contributing to this thread for a while. Here is an update.

We are now shipping the SM03 as we have frozen the feature list after much feedback from some early customers. Here is a summary of the product:

Three basic functions: 3D comb filter decoder, 3D noise reduction and full frame synchoniser.
NTSC/PAL input (CVBS or Y/C), SDI output. (Y/C input uses dual ADCs.)
Stereo audio with programmable delay (compensate lip-sync) embedded into SDI output.
Can lock to almost all VHS tape sources.
Chroma edge enhancement.
Full proc-amp features (gain, offset etc.) including NTSC chroma vector rotation (hue correction).

Despite efforts, we cannot reduce the price, especially with the worldwide component shortages, but we can offer a 'bundled' package with the Magewell image capture cards if you are archiving (and the pound is tanking so if you are outside the UK that will help lower the price to you).
We despatch using DHL with full tracking information.
We also include a programmer with every SM03 so any future features/bug fixes can be updated.
The SM03 includes Y/C to BNC cables, universal power supply and phono to BNC adaptor.

https://www.singmai.com/Modules/sm03.html

We welcome continued feedback and are still open to any missing features you would like to see, but we will limit any updates to once very six months or so.

Daniel.

Posted: 20 Nov 2023, 05:12 

Hello Everyone,

I would like to update you on the current status of the SM03.

During COVID, manufacturing of electronic components was severely curtailed. This especially affected components that are single-sourced, and in particular the FPGA device we used to implement our algorithms. The only part we could purchase was a wrongly marked part from China (that curiously did work), but cost more than the selling price of the entire SM03. This problem affected all of our hardware products.
Because of this we withdrew all of our products from sale.

Post COVID, things are easing, but many components previously available have been made obsolete - the inventory available is more limited than before.
As a result we made the decision to redesign all our products to use the available parts. Regarding the SM03 this means we are designing a product specifically for this market and based on the feedback we have had (the original SM03 was an adaptation of another product that was intended for a different application).

To compound the issue, I made the personal decision to relocate back to Thailand (the company is still registered in the UK). This has meant a change in our manufacturing and having to find new suppliers and contract manufacturers.

The new specification for the SM03 can be seen here: https://www.singmai.com/Modules/sm03.html

The prototypes of the new design are expected this month (November) and we hope to release the new SM03 at the beginning of 2024. If anyone wishes to receive up to date information on the SM03 they can subscribe to our newsletter by dropping me an email to daniel@singmai.com.

The design is reasonably fixed, but if anyone thinks of a feature we have missed, we will consider it for inclusion where it is feasible.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 3 matches ]