It is currently 09 May 2024, 08:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 7 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Howdy from Finland!
Posted: 25 Jan 2021, 18:33 

Yeah! Finally. It's strange, i wanted to get Laserdisc player way back in late 80's early 90's but here in Finland the movies were hideously expensive and often imported - so i passed that thought... and time went by. From VHS, to VCD, SVCD, DVD, BR... and then i realized there's no reason why NOT get one now! I must admit it's kind of nostalgic trip for me but it's something that i always wanted to experience.

So i finally picked up nice Pioneer DVL-909 and elsewhere, few disks tonight. Now.. i'm going to enjoy it all.

Next... more discs... more discs.... more discs!

Posted: 05 Feb 2021, 07:55 

For me it's mostly nostalgic reasons. I never had LD player/discs back in the day, i was many times close getting one but never did. It was just too expensive for me at the time. But now, there's no such limits when you're almost 50. I love the whole works, specially the cover art, the whole process of physical disks (it's just not the same with DVD's or BR's) as there's obiously something similar with vinyl records (sold my collection in early 2000's... sadly). As well, watching LD's doesn't count it out watching other formats or even, streaming, what you want to see. It's just one part of the whole experience - even more collectable.

I had stopped buying pretty much DVD/BR's after we got our first child, as no time as well career things. That's something like 12 years. Yes. Bizarre. I do have atleast 600+ DVD's so it's not like i'd run out anything to watch.

I've had LD player for almost two weeks and i've bought... almost 60 discs. Where all this will end to?

Posted: 10 Feb 2021, 14:00 

Something about analogue video makes it feel authentic. The imperfections of it makes it more real or engaging. Maybe its like the difference between reading an e-book or paper printed book, or someone sending you an email or a hand written letter.

Dont get me wrong the BD stuff and 4K look amazing especially stuff with a to of computer graphics but it lacks the warmth or "soul" maybe of analogue.

Absolutely 100% how i feel. Maybe it's due i grew up watching black&white TV and it really wasn't much of a prolem even there were color TV's around. We just got our color TV late (early 80's). Nothing beats watching great academy ratio black&white, film noir.

Not everything needs to be "perfect". Kind of, is it the movie, or is it the technology.

Posted: 11 Feb 2021, 10:34 

Bought almost mint :
-Brazil (Criterion CAV) - boxset
-The Mummy Collection - boxset

Great stuff!

Also bought "locally":
-The Killing (Criterion)
-Five Easy Pieces (Criterion)
-Fight Back to School (HK)
-Pom Pom & Hot Hot (HK)

Posted: 12 Feb 2021, 12:28 

Besides movies, i collect/restore/preserve etc vintage Apple II and /// computers and software ( https://finapple.hho.fi/finapple ). I've sold my vinyl & 78 collection about 20 years ago but kind of i'm tempted to get back to it but in smaller scale...

Posted: 03 Apr 2021, 14:40 

Better Tomorrow III (HK)
Spy Hard (US)
Don't Give a Damn (HK)
He Who Chases After the Wind (HK)

Posted: 27 Dec 2021, 08:22 

I'm pretty sure my first DVD was "The Getaway" (1972 with Steve McQueen) as the local shops had those Warner snappers. There were not that many you could choose from and they were pretty expensive.

Most likely i still have it. Bought an LD of the same film recently...
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 7 matches ]