It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 5 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 23 Feb 2021, 09:42 

signofzeta wrote:
Number ONE question is AC-3.

Serious question, are you a duplicate troll account of an LDDB member?

No. Just someone in over their head who feels they don’t have the right player.

Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 23:57 

gypsy wrote:
Yeah nothing you do will get LD to the level of 4K or BD.

Don’t worry I know that.
I certainly don’t feel I’ve wasted my money.

Posted: 25 Feb 2021, 15:15 

I received my very first laserdisc player this week with a bunch of films. I won't keep them all, but have started going through them.
I've watched
Jungle Book
The Bear (seems to be suffering from disc rot on one side as it seems very streaky/smeary)
Boogie Nights (the documentary was really eye-opening)
Planning to watch Trainspotting tonight.

Posted: 25 Feb 2021, 22:47 

I’m not sure I’ve ever done anything “retro”.

If I’m into something current I usually stick with it forever. I give up on very few hobbies. I may take long breaks but I never sell my record collection and then buy it again. I still fly model rockets, play paintball, drive on race tracks, DJ, watch Laserdiscs, draw, record music, read comics, practice combos in Neo Geo games, watch anime...the only thing I was once really into that I eventually quit totally is Dungeons and Dragons. I’ve also never “discovered” something on YouTube that came and went before I was born and then for some insane reason blew a ton of cash on it. I may moan a lot but I don’t Techmoan.

So in a way I’m a sucker for new things. LD was current when I got into it, records were the #1 format in the world when I got into that, I was an SNK fan before they made the Neo, etc, but once I let them in they are here forever and eventually they are classified by externalities as “retro”... I’ve never just thought, “Oh, I’ll learn to make chainmail!” because a Youtuber did it.

Does being this stubborn make it hard for new hobbies to work their way in? Probably, but I don’t miss them and as far as I can tell many of the new hobbies are just the old hobbies I never stopped doing.
You’re very lucky then.
I’m 47 and for various reasons couldn’t keep all the stuff I owned when it was new. I remember SNK before Neo and everything else you mentioned, but laserdisc was always my blindspot. I am more than happy to discover old tech, partly because it’s my job and partly because I’m just fascinated by older hardware (more so if it’s game related). No one uses the term retro properly when it comes to gaming but that’s what I do and I enjoy it. Laser disc is a retro medium for me and one I am finally gettibg to enjoy.

Posted: 13 Mar 2021, 23:04 

I’ve been ordering a few films from the nineties over their Blu-ray counterparts as it feels more authentic. I think i’ll Draw the line when it comes to the horror stuff though. Seems super expensive.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 5 matches ]