It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 18 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 07 Feb 2020, 08:37 

I think this explains it better if you haven't read it already.
https://www.lddb.com/help_ratio.php

Posted: 09 Feb 2020, 23:55 

I was half way through What We Do In the Shadows (TV) and really getting into it when it got yanked from Hulu.

Streaming kinda sucks...often I buy a disc and don’t have time to watch it for a year. That kind of thing doesn’t work well with Netflix or Hulu where the selection is constantly changing and the list of what they have now is way smaller than what they used to have. They’re dropping billions on original programs that bomb and meanwhile I’d just like for my kid to be able to check out Knight Rider without actually buying the POS. The streaming companies are all in this huge arms race that didn’t even exist when I first subscribed to them and now they use their revenues to generate almost exclusively content I never watch.

Classic TV is starting to become an eBay only thing. Stores hardly carry DVD anymore but it’s not like you can reliably steam stuff like Happy Days or All in the Family. My cable company decided to move TCM up to a tier to where I’ll never pay for it and the “classics” sections on these streaming services sometimes have only about a dozen movies and some of them are like Ghostbusters or Jaws so you know they aren’t going to have the complete Busby Berkeley or a bunch of silents.

Posted: 23 Feb 2021, 19:04 

Unfortunately the composite is removed in the European version of the LG C8, which seems mad.
Pardon if this is an obvious question, but do you see a yellow 3.5 mm port on the back of your C8? That's a combination yellow-red-white RCA AV input. You just need a little 3x female RCA to male 3.5 mm adapter. I got one that came with my LG C7.
Am I right in thinking that I won't be able to listen to commentaries unless I collect the white and red leads as they store the track and the Toslink cable doesn't carry it?
The sound side is really confusing me.
Correct, toslink will not send analog audio, and you can expect commentaries when present to be on analog tracks. The red-white leads will carry both digital (non-DTS and non-AC3) and analog tracks depending on which you select with your remote. I always just use the red-white unless the disc has DTS or AC-3; it keeps it simple.

Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 02:08 

No, in that case the adapter you buy would be doing at least part of the scaling and all of the comb filtering. This is the most important step since scaling 480p to 4K is relatively trivial.

I would look again for the composite input on that TV, make absolutely sure it’s not there, then sell the TV. It’s useless to a fan of old video formats. Any decent stand alone scaler costs more than an LG TV.

Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 04:07 

Which Pioneer amp/receiver do you have? Knowing this might help others familiar with it chime in about its video processing capabilities. It may just be a case of adjusting expectations.

I'm currently using my Marantz SR6011 AVR for comb, A/D, and deinterlacing and then sending the 480p 4:3 signal on to my Epson 4000 projector over HDMI for scaling to 1080p and aspect ratio zoom (for Letterbox discs). Without adding a stand-alone Video Processor (which I've considered), this is the only path I have since the projector does not have composite input and will not do aspect ratio zoom for resolutions above 480p. For the number of LDs I watch (1 or 2 a month, unless I happen to get click-happy on eBay), this path works reliably and acceptably... unless I just stumble on a great deal on a VP30/VP50/similar, it's just not worth the cost for my occasional usage.

Also, PLEASE DO NOT SELL YOUR TV just to get one with a composite video input. That's like telling a single guy to sell his Corvette because once a month he takes his nieces/nephews out for ice cream. An LG OLED is a purpose-built machine, and that purpose is excellent image quality for 4K/UHD/HDR and 1080p/SDR digital content (which I'll bet is still 90% or more of your viewing). If you're watching a couple of LDs a month, just stick with your AVR as VP and maybe consider a player upgrade at some point (you mention an interest in AC3 in another thread). If you're watching more LDs than other physical media (but still less than streaming content), maybe consider dropping $150-$300 on a stand-alone VP or put together a retro system (4:3 CRT, vintage AVR with built-in AC3 Demod, budget 5.1 speakers/sub, etc) in another room.

Regardless of where you land, manage your expectations, prioritize how you consume most of your media, and let those be the bounds of how you optimized your LD consumption.

Post subject: Re: Is this an audio issue?
Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 17:23 

I've been told that DTS will pass through my optical lead which is why I've ordered Jurassic Park.
What is 4.0? Two front speakers and two back?
If you have a modern receiver, DTS should work fine through your optical output.

"4.0" is misleading. It refers to 2.0 stereo tracks on disc that in production were downmixed from 4.0 sources (left, center, right, rear) in a such a way that a receiver can roughly split it up into the original 4.0 mix on the fly and map it to your speakers appropriately. On the database this will typically be labelled "Dolby Surround." As far as cabling is concerned they are simple stereo tracks.

I think I will take a look at my amp next and work out how I convert tracks into the surround that will use my rear speakers.
Yes, get to know your amp better. Any modern amp should have modes that use all speakers even when playing back two-channel sound.

The best thing to do is read, read, read. Read your amp's manual, read your player's manual.

Post subject: Re: A slippery slope
Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 18:25 

What titles to own on Criterion LD is a tough question because there are many variables to think about. Let me see if I can break it down easily

1) Titles not on Criterion DVD or Blu ray. Many Criterion LD titles did not get a DVD remaster because of the film's original studio did not want to renew their contract during the format switch (they wanted to make their own special edition). Too many titles to list but we're talking about a lot of mainstream films like The Wizard Of Oz, 2001, Blade Runner, Robocop, etc. Here is the full list....
https://mubi.com/lists/criterion-laserdiscs-not-yet-on-criterion-dvdblu-ray

2) Titles that have supplements. Some Criterion LD's are just the movie and that is it. If that is the case, I would usually say skip the Criterion unless that was the only release of the film and / or there was never a widescreen version released by the original studio.

3) Titles in CAV. Many Criterion releases came in a CAV or CLV format. So if you want freeze frame, slow mo, clear scan and don't mind flipping a disc every 30 minutes, this is sometimes the preferred version. Obviously, with CLV you have fewer discs and fewer sides to flip but you do lose the cool special effects playback (unless you have a Digital Field Memory player).

4) Titles with nice packaging. This is purely personal taste. I happen to like a box set or a nice gate fold that holds the disc.

5) Titles with AC3 encoding. I know that you don't have have an AC3-RF equipped player so probably not important. Also, there were only a handful of AC3 titles in the Criterion Collection but I like having them once again because of packaging and the supplements (which many had).

6) Titles that are only on Criterion. There are few and mostly titles that are just not sought after. They might even be so obscure that you may not have an interest in them.

There might be other things to consider but I have to think about it. Otherwise, these are my big six considerations I think about.

Post subject: Re: Is this an audio issue?
Posted: 24 Feb 2021, 18:48 

I guess what I mean is I wish I bought a machine that can play these discs. I feel like I'm missing out by having discs with audio that I can't access.

Well, at this point in time, any machine is a good machine so long as it works. So wouldn't feel bad about that. And even if you had a player that had all the bells and whistles, Dolby AC3 would still be a problem for you since you still need the AC3-RF Demodulator or Processor to extract the soundtrack properly for your AV Receiver.

I think I will take a look at my amp next and work out how I convert tracks into the surround that will use my rear speakers. There's a lot of different sound symbols on the back of discs and it's a little bewildering.

Watch all these videos on YouTube from Culture Dog. I think he does a good job of simplifying all the audio options from beginning to end. There are five videos total and watch them in that order.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB1q5VgN9YY&list=PL1x8jwqGXR0iui6pAJWyw1Aahfkv-tlci&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2LmGJyRew&list=PL1x8jwqGXR0iui6pAJWyw1Aahfkv-tlci&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXEC3-g9O-Y&list=PL1x8jwqGXR0iui6pAJWyw1Aahfkv-tlci&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kApU0gl2Nlg&list=PL1x8jwqGXR0iui6pAJWyw1Aahfkv-tlci&index=4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6M7gnpEjT4&list=PL1x8jwqGXR0iui6pAJWyw1Aahfkv-tlci&index=5

I'm loving my actual player even though the picture isn't as good as blu-ray or 4k. There's a cosiness to the films which I really like. I just want to ensure I'm watching films in the best possible way and with this player it doesn't seem like I can do that.

And then watch his video on this as well....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkxJhmLZ-tg&t=2432s

Post subject: Re: A slippery slope
Posted: 25 Feb 2021, 17:17 

KK on Criterion may be near to impossible to get the silver box issue in the UK and your only option would be to import it from the US.

Zeta is talking about the second release silver box, which is actually cooler but the first issue is a larger box but no graphics inside.
I think there is a topic where I posted some pictures, was Ratkins who posted a pic, I may have in another topic but this is the pic I found.

https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=366

Posted: 25 Feb 2021, 22:17 

Vast majority of people I sell to are either completely new to LD or are getting back into it. I never really ask them why, but I'm just glad there is enough demand to make rebuilding/refurbishing/servicing worthwhile since that is what I enjoy the most.

Posted: 25 Feb 2021, 23:55 

Yeah the PC Engine is awesome. Bomberman 94 is one of my most played games.

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 19:24 

strideristhebest wrote:
Is the DVD0 iscan ultra worth getting?

If it is cheap enough then yes. I wouldn't pay more than $50 but I've already got a lot of gear.

Posted: 27 Feb 2021, 21:26 

Damn. I paid $220 with shipping for my Duo, not even that much more and much better. I would hold out.

Posted: 28 Feb 2021, 09:39 

It’s hard to say and a bit luck of the draw really. You’ll always find them cheaper on eBay US but when the shipping and import charges are factored in then the price gets a bit silly for anyone purchasing from a European country, they do come up fairly often on this side of the Atlantic but for anything between (very roughly) £120-200(ish) I’m speaking more for an Edge here but the Duo should be quite similar. One of the guys on here recently grabbed himself an Edge and I think he was really happy with it - maybe he’ll see this and chime in! btw did you check the position of the HQ Circuit button yet, just make sure it’s always off as it makes a fair difference to the PQ!
I will have a look. Does it automatically turn on if you turn the player off.

No it shouldn’t do but because there is no status led unlike on the 925 its easy to accidentally toggle the button if fumbling for one of the similar sized adjacent buttons whilst the room is darkened, a quick press will give an onscreen confirmation though.

Forgot to mention, also try toggling the system (PAL/NTSC) button on the front panel while you’re at it!

Posted: 03 Mar 2021, 20:35 

Think I would send Edge directly to TV first, but obviously try it both ways then go with whichever looks best to you....

Posted: 03 Mar 2021, 23:28 

1080p -> 4K scaling isn't all that difficult since it's an even multiple. You can try both the TV and the AVR, but I doubt you'll see much if any difference unless one is just particularly bad.

Posted: 15 Mar 2021, 22:20 

signofzeta wrote:
One does not upgrade FROM a Laserdisc, you can only upgrade TO it because it is the ultimate format.

I love it. :lol:

Posted: 16 Mar 2021, 17:35 

Blu Ray only exists because the general public wasn't ready for the uncompromising home theater experience of Laserdisc.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 18 matches ]