It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 08:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 3 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: AC-3 RF specification?
Posted: 20 Mar 2021, 18:19 

If the whole thing is based on a proprietary chip long out of production that we don’t have real documentation on then it’s as far from open source as I can imagine.

And are there seriously pirate copies of this useless chip? That seems crazy.

I don’t know, but if I tried certain IC sellers in China for the odd single example on EBay, chances are that I’d get a relabelled non-working chip with fresh dodgy looking laser markings.

The cool thing is that the service manual for the Pioneer RFD-1, or the Denon AVD-2000 or some other device is readily available. The chip needs some analog frontend stuff, some glue logic, a crystal and a RAM chip. No need for a microcontroller with firmware to make it all work. It’s really self-contained that way. I’ve seen more complicated devices, so there’s nothing to fear here in terms of complexity. Lots of stuff is explained via the service manual for the RFD-1, something else might be given away in the Yamaha, Kenwood, or Denon PDF for instance.

Posted: 17 Feb 2024, 18:53 

The HD-MAC test disks on EBay were even featured on Tom’s Hardware !

Prototype LaserDisc HD media sells for $1,000 — despite disc rot and unknown contents
It isn't only retro computer prices that are getting out of hand.

A rare LaserDisc prototype has been sold on eBay for an eye-watering sum. The Philips-made product, described as an “HD Mac 12 Glass Plate N.66733 - Laserdisc Prototype - Extra Rare” sold for nearly $1,000. What is most extraordinary is that this is simply a piece of 12-inch optical media, not hardware like a player, a decoder, or any rare movie content for the platform.

(...)

Posted: 24 Feb 2024, 19:34 

Saw that Mike Chi, the creator of RetroTink has added, then overhauled the motion-adaptive deinterlacer. Now he’s tinkering with a 3D comb filter. The guy is no slouch when it comes to adding features and tweakability. Also, I suspect a certain overlap between some of us LD fans and fans of retrogaming.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 3 matches ]