It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 3 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 15 May 2021, 04:53 

Finally some success! New working pickup arrived today. I put it in, and it worked!

Thank you everyone for your help. I guess the bad disc label really did kill my laser pickup. Quite how, I’m not sure!

Post subject: Re: [CLD-D704] CLV Smear
Posted: 11 Oct 2021, 05:22 

So I had a go at performing this mod today. It does reduce the CLV smear. I've not spent time to see if there are other issues with it (the filter is probably there for a reason), but it works in my environment.

The smear effect is pretty subtle on my Sony PVM CRT and on my OLED calibrated Laserdisc settings. Using a non-calibrated profile (with higher brightness) shows the issue (and noise) more clearly, and is easier to to photograph.

First an image of the CLV smear from Star Wars opening sequence:

Smear.jpeg

Same scene with bypass enabled (disabling CLV specific noise filtering):

NoSmear.jpeg

On to the mod details. Pin 50 of IC101 is XCLV, which passes through W497. I didn't want to remove the whole motherboard for testing the mod, so I cut W497 instead:

W497 cut.jpeg

Wire these with a three pin, two way switch, to toggle between +5v and XCLV to the output;

Switch Wiring Points.jpeg

I drilled a hole between the COAX and the Optical outputs, and mounted the switch on the rear.

Mounted Switch.jpeg

Overall, it's to early to tell whether this mod is worthwhile or not. The smearing is usually pretty subtle on my TV set, and the extra noise on CLV discs might make this mod pointless. Looking forward to finding out though!

Posted: 23 Dec 2021, 06:30 

Cheers - no hard feelings! I find noise distracting, and wanted to try something out., I thought I’d share my results, that’s all! I had a feeling it’d be controversial! :)

I agree the RetroTink 5x looks great. I like the OSSC too (my TV is one of the rare ones that supports it well), and I’m looking forward to what happens with the new pro model. I work in the games industry, and have a couple of arcade machines. One of my hobbies is repairing old arcade PCB’s and consoles. Lots of interesting things to learn.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 3 matches ]