It is currently 18 Jul 2024, 08:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 2 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 04 May 2024, 06:14 

I love the Looney Tunes, I love Laserdiscs, and I love box sets, so The Golden Age of Looney Tunes Laserdisc box sets were tailor made for me. The first 4 volumes have been in my collection for a few years now and they get used regularly. But volume 5 has been a difficult one to purchase if you've ever seen the prices of it. I've lost way too many auctions over the last few months, each one becoming crushing. However, a few weeks ago, I finally won a copy on eBay. Once it arrived in the mail I put it my player (Pioneer CLD-V2400), grabbed my pizza out of the oven, and was disappointed.

The biggest problem was the collection of cartoons. There were some great cartoons like "Snowman's Land" and "Shop, Look, & Listen" that i'd find myself rewatching semi-regularly. However the other cartoons were the kind of cartoons that were slow paced, overly cute, musical heavy, with very lite comedy. The animation is still great considering the type of cartoons they belong to. The print quality is sketchy. The black-and-white cartoons look great but some of the color cartoons look washed out. I've read that a number of them are Cinecolor cartoons so maybe I just don't like that style. The digital text added at the end of the cartoons was a bit off putting but not immersion breaking.

The best collection of cartoons comes mostly on the 8th (and shortest) side. The director's cut of "Hare Ribbin'" was a blast (no pun intended) to watch and I liked the Hook shorts for what they were. The two cartoon segments from the live-action movies were a nice bonus considering i'd probably never watch those films. The box itself and the insert by Jerry Beck are always a pleasure to look at and read. It looks so nice sitting next to its brothers.

What would've helped this box set is having some, if not all, of the "Censored Eleven". They already put cartoons that were not politically correct on Volume 3 so this would not have been too outrageous. Plus if anyone was to raise a fuss about the cartoons, the Laserdisc format was in its twilight years and this was the final volume they were releasing. They could've gone out with a bang instead they went out with a whimper.

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 10 May 2024, 06:03 

I sliced my still sealed copy open the other week to view it and there was disc rot. Most of the visual and audio issues were minimal and on the first side but its still a bummer knowing its been sealed for over 20 years and had issues right out of the sleeve.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 2 matches ]