It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 06:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 163 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 18 Sep 2020, 16:44 

Interesting thoughts and opinions.

Very thankful for all the members comments, not because I rarely host a topic, because of the wide spectrum of thoughts regarding a remaking in cinema of a literary titan.

Herbert was passed over several times by publishers when attempting to get his Dune universe distributed.

Even Robert A. Heinlein was put off with rejections and forced editing early in his writing career.
Virginia Heinlein released Stranger and a Strange Land posthumously circa 1988 restoring the cut copy to its original glory that Mr. Heinlein intended.

I received the Dune Trilogy box from my mother when in the fifth grade.
Finally read the three Dune novels and Lord of the Rings in middle school.

Reread all six Dune books several times since.

So I am biased with my visceral wishes to see the Dene version.
Honestly, I was so disappointed with the Lynch and English versions, was just left wishing more.

Will Dene's creation be worth the "investment" ?
Will there be more installments ?

I do not pretend to know and I choose not to speculate.

The reason I contributed this link was to share my excitement and anticipation being a fan of Frank Herbert .
He has a ton of books out since the 1960's, I reccomend them highly.

Cheers

James

Posted: 30 Sep 2020, 22:41 

Safety first....
No guessing when it comes to electronic schematics.

No "Houston we have a problem" scenarios

Please let us know !

Posted: 15 Oct 2020, 01:14 

Amazing how opinions can vary.

In my experience The English Patient was exemplar in execution and story telling.
Can you disagree that it was an All Star Cast LoL

I am going to re watch it just because I can !
Plus that Nurse is very easy on the eyes. She was awesome in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
Juliette Binoche.. ....
A dream

Just viewed zombie : Dawn of the Dead perfect collection for a patron
That one NEVER gets old...

Cheers,

J

Posted: 01 Nov 2020, 00:26 

Thanks je280.....
This news was sobering and solemnly received.

One of my heros growing up for the many obvious roles he acted.
I was too young to appreciate his 007 stint. Fortunately he never gave up the wardrobe and costume calls !

His "The Highlander" role and infamous "The Hunt for Red October" roles are some of my favs of his.
Cannot forget the remake of "The Avengers" villain role he played.
Loved his METEOR role opposite Natalie Wood...circa late 1970's. Too many to recollect !

He never got type cast (imo!) Very difficult in the contemporary acting world (imo!)

A true Scott ! An advocate for Scottish Independence for decades !
Hopefully his dream in that regard will be realized down the road God willing !

Fare thee well Sean Connery ! May you find other roles worthy of your genius !

Condolences to his family and close friends......

Cheers mates,

James

Posted: 20 Nov 2020, 23:50 

My head is spinning from Sean Connery in ZARDOZ circa 1973. A John Boorman film.
What a head trip....
Zeta, correct me if I am wrong, this production falls into the "tripping balls" genre.....

Had to watch it again to attempt to get my mind around what the message was....
Still struggling.....
My old brain is not as elastic as once was lmao !

If any members like distopian futuristic movies.... CHECK OUT "ZARDOZ"

cheers mates,

J

Posted: 21 Nov 2020, 11:01 

You guys are acting like you don’t watch Zardoz every night.

I love this movie. You have to be comfortable with the fact that it’s more weird and dumb than it is brilliant scifi but once you’re comfortable with that it’s a blast. I love how earnest it is. People are too afraid to look stupid nowadays.

One of my favorite rappers is POS of Doomtree and one of the many reasons I like him is that he once referenced this movie with the seeming non-sequitor “god barfs guns.” I wish I could remember what song that was...

You may be on to something zeta, I need to watch ZARDOZ every night for stretch and see what happens.

If I go dark, I was committed and am resting quietly in some institution singing the ballad of Dwight Frye LmAo !

Seriously, I do like the film, it just took me for a loop with the abstract nature.
Absolutely loved the introduction with the floating head explanations of "reality" ! ! !

I burned a copy to share and reccomended it to a few friends in memory of Mr. Connery.......
Cannot believe that crazy Scott went from 007 to ZARDOZ Disciple.....

What a mind job first watching it ! And I am a fan of WEIRD stuff !

Posted: 22 Nov 2020, 03:52 

Je280 thanks for posting that intro !

Great to know it was a late add on ! ! !

Cheers,
Stay safe over there mate !

Posted: 31 Dec 2020, 02:11 

Just viewed "ALIENS" special collection with tons of extra footage.
Great movie to revisit as 2020 winds down.

Happy New Year to everyone in the membership worldwide !

Post subject: Re: STAR TREK first season
Posted: 06 Jan 2021, 23:47 

Just viewed original episode "obsession"

Never fails.
Flip an old start trek original episode into the tray and take a warp into timelessness......

Cheers to the membership !

Posted: 11 Jan 2021, 23:09 

I still spin up Laserdiscs because I love the process.

The previous posts sum up quite a few insights.
I believe one missing thread is, we are not living in a linear timeline.
Everything in nature, including our stellar bodies revolve in circles, cyclical. Non-linear.

So my main reason for hanging on to my out dated format museum is for hope that one day the factories open again and glorious LaserDisc production commences as before, with the elapsed time in-between being just Hiccup ......

April is a ways off, however that is my mic drop !

Cheers to the membership !

Posted: 21 Jan 2021, 02:04 

Thanks rein-o
May just have to read "Stranger in a Strange Land" again.
Unedited posthumously released version of course !

Posted: 26 Jan 2021, 01:30 

I will weigh in on this one !

Loved Pacific Rim Kaiju / Jagger par excellence ! Thank you Guillermo del Toro ! ! ! (and everyone involved in part two though not as good imo).
Nice revival of the Kaiju theme contemporary style .... Original too !

Did not enjoy the new wave of Kaiju re: Godzilla releases and the soon to be released Godzilla vs. King Kong.

Loved the 1998 Jean Reno and Mathew Broderick installment of GODZILLA. Madison Square Garden is never thought of the same way to me !

Not too thrilled with the remake of Godzilla Kaiju in the early to mid 1990's in all their pomp and glory.

Love everything Toho and the original Gamera Kaiju twist on things during that time period.
I am a critic, this post reflects my personal taste and does not mean that the new (1990's) materials stink or anything.
The REALLY NEW STUFF does kinda stink in my opinion. My son is disappointed in my not taking to the new material. Did think Juliette Binoche was quite cute in the CBR gear !

Just a old fashioned lover of the original Raymond Burr B & W original and the spinoffs that ensued.
Especially liked the Godzilla vs Megalon however every installment pales against Godzilla vs the Sea Monster ! (CRINGEs abound !)

P. S - Johnny Socko and his flying ROBO and Ultraman are right there in my heart as well.

Feeling a tad old now....

Cheers mates

Posted: 09 Feb 2021, 11:11 

Interesting thread flow....

Just spun up LOST HORIZON and LE GRANDE BLUE, both were directors cuts,.
For a buddy visiting that has appreciated LaserDiscs since my collection began in the mid 1990's.

From the outside looking in, he has offered to help me move when the time is mandated down the road! Lmao !

LaserDiscs, while unaffordable in my youth, have a vibrant and currently exciting place in my life.
That is why I still spin up these large reflective platters, and at the time of this posting, still collect vintage content for my collection! ! !

I also enjoy physical books. One finds a book, a gift that is represented each time when opened.
No broadband, no download, and best yet, not dependent on electricity.

Reading The Lord of the Rings for the third time in my life.
Relishing each memory associated with the incredibly detailed world created by Tolkien.
Words are difficult to find and to explain how enjoyable this story really is.

Never found kindle that ideal. Rather cumbersome to me.

Phillip K. Dick paperbacks and hardcovers are part of my collecting jonez.......

Cheers mates

Posted: 07 Mar 2021, 16:00 

For reasons unknown, pulled the original Star Trek pilot "THE CAGE" out of the grotto.....

Bigwigs wanted to dump the series before it began i learned recently viewing a documentary about Leonard Nimoy.
They eneded up hiring new actors while keeping Spock and taking the actress playing captain Pike's "number 1" XO and demoting her to "RN Chapel" for the ongoing series.....

Enjoyed "The Cage", been decades since revisiting. Really enjoyed the story and different faces then used to from the ongoing series.

I was not born when it originally aired. Thank goodness they kept Roddenberry's project alive !
Thank you Lucille Ball for bankrolling the venture ! ! !

Long live the Tribbles !

Cheers to the membership

Posted: 08 Mar 2021, 22:16 

Really glad it was not "BROKEN ON ARRIVAL" with the standard substandard packing / padding.

Nice score rein-o !

Looks pretty swag bra !

enjoy

Posted: 17 Mar 2021, 21:46 

Guys we are talking about movies.
Fictional stories that parallel reality in part due to geography and names of urban centers.
I mean Manhattan was depicted in Escape from New York before robocop was created. So there was precident in cinema going back to silent films depicting urban centers in a unflattering light.

I grew up in Detroit suburbs and then in my early 20's lived within a mile of the D.I.A. Detroit Institute of Arts circa 1990. My clan paralleled the Cass corridor.
I lived amongst the post Victorian era of 1880's abandoned mansions and the still standing remnants of the late 1960's riots.
My home was one of two white houses on our block.
I cherish my experiences more then I can type. Ultra wheels were invented around that time and I roller bladed ALL OVER DETROIT. (I even went from the DIA to Royal Oak up Woodward a few times. Kinda sketchy however I survived.
In my opinion (back then) 95% were decent hardworking citizens. 5 % preyed on others and gang banged.
Again, this was my experience, may not follow statistics, purely my subjective experience.

So Detroit was nothing like the depicted dystopia........
Yes there is crime, yes there always will be political corruption.

Let's keep movie fiction and reality in proper perspective.

Cheers to the membership

Posted: 14 Apr 2021, 22:08 

Dang if I found myself spinning up "The Stand" again !
Such a apropos journey during this epoch !

Moved by the myriad array of cast and stories.

The only thing that really matters has been drivin home once again !

How will we "stand"....... ?

Cheers to the membership....

Hang tough mates

J

Posted: 28 Apr 2021, 07:34 

THE KEEP, arrived from Japan destined for my player.
Full screen .....

So glad to view this again ! ! !

Posted: 01 Jun 2021, 06:24 

Viewed DEEP IMPACT .....
President Morgan Freeman rocked that role !

Posted: 15 Jun 2021, 01:43 

Carl Sagan’s Cosmos. It’s a book, a record, a TV series, and at this point half way to a religion in itself. The word “Cosmos” refers to everything everywhere, not just deep space or whatever, same with the show.

There was a reboot a few years ago, I got bored in half an episode. I haven’t heard anyone mention the reboot since it aired. I don’t think anyone cared.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage?wprov=sfti1

His Cosmos series is one of my all time favs on LaserDisc.
The Ted Turner interview with Carl at the end of the series is priceless IMO.

Man that guy was gifted with far sighted vision.

That series is what I am going to be "rewatching" over the summer ....

Cheers mates

Posted: 14 Aug 2021, 10:39 

Just viewed "The Empire Strikes Back" from U.S. Definitive Collection.....
Uncut no CG augmentation....
Irvin Kershner.... a true artist ......

Cheers

Posted: 23 Oct 2021, 04:12 

Not related to original Holmes saga

However.....
"Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother" starring Gene Wilder / Marty Feldman / Dom DeLuise / Madeleine Khan and more....
One of the funniest movies ever made imo.....

It was issued on CED ....
Wished it had a Japanese issue.

If anyone gets a chance .... check it out ! ! !

Cheers Mates

Posted: 24 Oct 2021, 03:23 

I hope he is well.
Please say hello for me rein-o.
I sympathize Julien.
Difficult to steer the course at times ....
All things said and done, it appears more cordial at the forum as of lately.....
Thanks for your kind words benmbe...

Cheers to the membership.....

Posted: 03 Nov 2021, 03:07 

There are several in my queue.....

- GATTICA
- SCREAMERS
- ALIENS (UNCUT IMPORT BOX FROM JAPAN)
- RONIN

Lately during my move been grooving and packing to YES - LIVE SAN LOIS OBISBO 1996.
All original members minus drummer Bill Bruford.......
Smoking show with Steve Howe leading the tip of the spear.
Rick Wakeman just seals the experience with his stellar classical skills.
Priceless.....
Check that performance out mates !

Cheers to the membership......

Posted: 17 Nov 2021, 08:36 

Tesla - Five Man Acoustical Jam i recall spun up most frequently over the past 2 decades.

Also Rob Roy and Michael Collins for some Liam Neeson Gaelic vibes.

It seems Rush on laserdisc has been a big part of the soundtrack of my life being from Michigan, which happened to be a frequent stop for the Canadian Trio.
Rush Moving Pictures Tour 1980 @ Cobo Hall on the river in Detroit will live on as my fondest memory of the boys early years. I was 16 at that time.
Alex Lifeson in that red suit coat wailing out Red Barchetta still moves me to tears.
Fortunately snipitz of that tour were captured on the LD RUSH : EXIT STAGE LEFT. and Red Barchetta on RUSH CHRONICLES sports Alex in the infamous red suit coat.....

Had to revisit this thread again since pondering and reflecting about those silver platters that gravitate to the tray more frequently then others.
So grateful to have stumbled upon this format many moons ago.

So glad my girlfriend won that Pioneer LD player at that raffle circa 1995.
She indirectly gave me the hobby of collecting movies on big shiny platters as well as giving me my only son who is 25 this year.
Tempus fugit mates.....
Make every day count.
Savor the finer things....
And be kind, as the world tends to be a tad cold and callus these days.
Strive on with diligence, and do not let the mfers get ya down !
Cheers
Page 4 of 7 [ Search found 163 matches ]