It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 163 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 12 Dec 2019, 03:08 

George C. Scott boycotted his oscar win at the awards for a reason .........

Guy was one of my favorite actors back in the day !
Check "The Formula" on laserdisc .... Scott and Brando at their best ! ! !

Posted: 20 Dec 2019, 01:42 

Just viewed "A Christmas Carol"
The early 1980's version with George C. Scott, David Warner, and Susannah York....

Gets me everytime. If any members are "not feeling it" this season, this movie is the Rx.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THE MEMBERSHIP

Posted: 21 Dec 2019, 00:47 

It appears to me you have most obvious bases covered !

I like the concept of shoes for the corners.

Strong floors, strong shelves, and mitigate side pressure by not over loading shelves is academic.

Nice thread, hope others chime in.

I am planning a new home construction and am specifically designing the basement t for LD storage/display.
Any suggestions from the membership would be most welcome.......

Cheers mates

Posted: 22 Dec 2019, 08:48 

Mark,

Your link was read with a heavy heart. I cannot imagine what it is like to live with the lingering after effects of your car accident all those years ago.
Good fortune to you finding a primary care provider. It is difficult on a good day to navigate our broken medical system. That being said keep looking !
Stay the course, be patient, and perhaps your diligence will pay off.

Glad to read that you have hospice involved and a bed secured in your home for your father.
Just had the same services provided for both my grandparents in their Michigan home only a month apart in late summer of 2017.
Hospice was incredibly effective and attentive throughout the course of their service.
Those professional people made a difficult time more bearable and mitigated the pain of my grandparents greatly.

It is my hope that hospice is just as attentive to your families needs as they were to mine.

One day at a time man.....

Cheers,

James

Posted: 24 Dec 2019, 00:00 

Viewed "The Mission" with Jeremy Irons, Robert Duvall, and a very young Liam Nesson.
True story about Jesuit missionaries and the Portuguese conquest utilizing slavery to power the "machine".

Utterly epic and ultimately tragically sad epitaph of colonial struggle from the indigenous perspective.

Check it out !

Posted: 25 Dec 2019, 23:57 

Just viewed "BLACKROBE"...
A French Jesuit film taking place in the 16oo's.
Fantastic experience emphasizing the life and death struggle during British and French colonial period conquering the native americans in the name of religion.

If you enjoyed dances with wolves, this Canadian period film is a must see.

Posted: 28 Dec 2019, 01:36 

Just viewed "2010" AGAIN !

Utterly epic movie imo !

Posted: 07 Jan 2020, 10:30 

Thanks to forper I am halfway through the original "Planet of the Apes" series.....

Nostalgia hit me hard. Forgot how well done the original kickoff was.

That dialogue before Taylor hit the freezer knocked me for a loop.
Profound script.
Suffered through the James Franciscas Beneath 2nd Installment.

Absolutely love the "Escape" part 3 Installment.
The crude treatment of the apes underscores the military/political landscape of the times.

Thanks again forper.... I keyed on your assessment after your recent viewing/review here....

Cheers.....

IT'S A MADHOUSE ! ! ! !

Posted: 17 Jan 2020, 01:40 

Akira Kurosawa...... cannot type enough great things about his films........
Get after Red Beard, one of my all time favs.....
7 Samurai is a gold standard.
Honestly I dont know which is better, Yojimbo or Sanjuro.

Kubrick and Kurosawa films are must views ...... true artists in their craft of lights and shadows......

Posted: 18 Jan 2020, 00:48 

Clockwork Orange was banned in the UK due to hooligans imitating the characters in the movie.

Hi firehorse,

the Clockwork Orange UK ban thing, it was never banned as such here in the UK but pulled at the request of Mr. Kubrick.

Thank you je280,

A ton of food for thought !
Had no idea about the history of "The Exorcist".

Very glad to read the "real" story about Clockwork Orange.
I apologize for misrepresenting the perceived ban for my part.

History is like hindsight, 20/20, if one can observe objectively and consider more then one source for perspective.
Your post cleared up a big misconception.

A buddy of mine had a best friend who ran into Malcolm McDowell in AZ some years ago.
He offered him a glass of milk and they both went into a bit of dialogue from the film.
Priceless exchange related to me that got a ton of laughs.

Thank the sky gods for our best droogs....

☆☆☆☆"I am cured" ☆☆☆☆

Posted: 20 Jan 2020, 03:40 

ENERGY, It is apparent that we could relate to a thread all day ( and night) long regarding this vast subject.

We are truly the children of the atom.
Most of us were born into a nuclear future in full progress. I so wish we would have developed fusion technology first instead of second.
For obvious reasons we have painted ourselves into a corner creating waste no one wishes anywhere near their population centers.
Everyone makes good points here. From substance to zeta.
I endorse funding all viable alternative forms of energy, including improving existing nuclear technology.

As Elon Musk is fond of pointing out, there is a fusion reactor that shows up everyday in our skies.

Here is a thought about the green movement that is sobering.
1.2 billion people live in Africa, 600 million live without electricity. Their leaders and other country investors wish to establish coal plants to bring them from their tribal mode of living and make modern amenities more common.

The green movement says we cannot have that, coal pollutes, our world is dying, all the while knowing that it was that same technology that allowed modern countries to rise up out of the mud of toil and sweat, to survive heat and cold.

So we are at a serious crossroads.
I have taken for granted my hot water, toilet, and internet cyber web construct existence, not to mention a food distribution system that relies on mechanical machines and fossil fuels all the while great swaths of this planet is home to tribal people living the more or less same experience and existence for the past few thousands of years.

What right do developed countries have dictating inhibiting policy of "green" reasoning to keep other cultures and peoples from "rising out of the mud" ?

The answer is sustainable energy forms that do not mitigate their benefits with ecological destruction.
This is the quest for the holy grail peepz.
Geothermal, tidal harnessing, solar development, wind, and perfecting and developing fusion and fission to a viable alternative until we find that grail.

The survival of our blue marble and all the denizen here in depends on fresh water, local food production, end to cultural tensions (racism), and a viable energy source that is renewable and non environmentally impacting to the 10th power.
The race has been on since before we were born, let's talk about it !
Elon Musk and people like him need our input, and our cooperation.....

There is more then one road to Rome, and ALL roads lead there.
We are in this together. We need to increase the scope of our awareness to think globally and act locally.

Cheers to the membership.....

Posted: 21 Jan 2020, 03:22 

Just viewed "CLOUD ATLAS" ....

"Meet Joe Black" ....

Highly recommend "Death takes a Holiday" with Frederich March from the early 1930's.
Inspiration for the MEET JOE BLACK script.
I feel the March version is more poignant and gets the point across directly instead of a long stroll around the park if you will.

Cheers to the membership....

Posted: 24 Jan 2020, 12:41 

My heart just broke multiple times thanks to forper....

WOW !

Something about Japanese woman.... so beautiful.... :shock:

Posted: 24 Jan 2020, 22:32 

Just viewed " The Fifth Element "...
Luc Besson masterpiece....

Posted: 31 Jan 2020, 03:39 

I wish that "Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother" was released on LaserDisc.
Ironically this title was released on CED ! ! !

Now if any of the membership are not familiar with this Gene Wilder, Marty, Feldman, and Madeline Kahn epic then attend : YOU MUST SEE IT ! Disclaimer : there is high risk of breaking one or more ribs while viewing......

Released circa 1975, this member first saw this movie on HBO around 1977.
Needless to say it left an impression !

If you liked Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and High Anxiety then you may find The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother quite appealing.....

Check it out .....

Cheers to the membership

Posted: 01 Feb 2020, 19:52 

Kubrick made that film circa 1967......
Compared to films of that time period the effects were "stellar" pun intended.

Who spends a whole afternoon throwing a bone in the air to capture it "just right" ?
STANLEY KUBRICK !

The movie gets top tier ratings in my opinion, not an easy Arthur C Clark novel to bring to the big screen.
That last release on LD in Japan is a Gem ! ! ! [PILF-2510]

2001 - 2010 are priceless to this member.......
Actually saw 2001 at the theater circa 1982..... did not understand ANY of it as a young teenager.
However 2001 at the movies did force my hand to attend the theater when 2010 was released a short time later.

Great memories.....

Cheers mates

Posted: 05 Feb 2020, 21:02 

I leave all my media plugged in with power strips / surge suppressors.

Used to unplug during wicked thunder storms however I have gotten away from this habit.

Players / all media are holding up just fine thus far.

Keep that current circulating .... (or unplug if away ..... )

Just dust your stuff from time to time that is the real Nemesis of electronics --- Dust Particles accumulating over time = ENTROPY

Posted: 08 Feb 2020, 02:05 

Just viewed the Criterian Collection "ZULU".

What an epic film.... the then young Michael Caine "made" the film imo.

Cheers mates

Posted: 08 Feb 2020, 20:38 

Forper,
Those fire by file volleys were so damn realistic.
I was at the edge of my seat with anticipation of the lines crumbling under the sheer onslaught of numbers of attackers.
The respect prayer at the end as the Zulu left the field choked me up.
A code of warrior ethos that will never die as long as combat lives.

A true warrior respects a worthy opponent.
Anything less is cowardice...

Highest "modern" example...... BUDO !

Posted: 09 Feb 2020, 03:45 

Yeah, I still have a decent 19” SVGA monitor from...I don’t remember. I pretty much only use it for Dreamcast and Cube. It’s the only way to play Rez (also with very loud headphones.)

Man, you are inspiring me to dust off my Dreamcast and plow through Resident Evil : Code Name - Veronica ! And then RE II - Nemesis .....
I have about 25 games, need to revisit that platform, thanks for that mention man !

Cheers

Posted: 09 Feb 2020, 22:44 

Spot on forper.....

You touched on the WHOLE reason LaserDisc resonates with me.
The liner notes, extra content, and /or photo inserts are icing on a wonderful cake.
The cake being the silver platters of goodness holding images of our planets past artistry !

I have assembled a vast collection of Kaiju from my young days growing up.
Lived for Gamera, Godzilla, and any and all dinosaur movies showing up at the theaters !

Now, as time and space has allowed, many of my most cherished monster movies live on my shelves able to be accessed on a whim......

As it stands, since you mentioned, Godzilla vs Gigan is beckoning !

Cheers to the LDDB membership !

Post subject: Re: Hello
Posted: 14 Feb 2020, 11:13 

Right on Paul !

Thanks for sharing your story.
Big welcome from Lurker status !

It is really an enigma ! Be careful, before long you may need stronger shelves and more area to store them !

Enjoy the experience......

Cheers,

James

Posted: 14 Feb 2020, 22:40 

Forper,
If you crave 80's nostalgia, man read the book "READY PLAYER ONE"....

The movie does not even come close to the revisits to the glorious 8o's
Dont know if you read much, however this book is written so you can glide through and not want to put it down.

The movie has some decent graphics, it's the better story and plot that make the book a must imbibe !

I reccomend this book to everyone who would like a nice time machine excursion into the near future and recent past.

Check it out peepz !

Cheers

J

Post subject: Re: LD: 2050
Posted: 16 Feb 2020, 06:13 

I agree with gypsy.
We are in this for the long haul.

Since all things under the sun have a finite time on Terra Firma, make the best of it.
Find a few more working players over the years.

Player availability will inevitably taper off down the road a bit.
Will a new platform be released ? highly doubtful imo.......

Treat your players under your care with tlc. Keep an eye out for other abandoned players wherever you may stumble upon old electronics.

Most importantly, revel in the experience of keeping the platters spinning for as long as feasible ....

We are nearly 20 years from format termination people. Who would have thought that the players would have lasted as long as they have ?
Minus the ones manufactured in the new part of the millennium !
Pioneer stopped production of the DVL-919 circa 2009.

Cheers to all the membership keeping this format "current" ! :wave: :wtf: :crazy: :clap:

Post subject: Re: LD: 2050
Posted: 18 Feb 2020, 11:02 

This obsession with streaming reminds me of what people have said to me about cloud-based computing; One said to replace "cloud" with "for idiots", and another pointed out "cloud" is really just "someone else's computer".

But these people were right.

Felt like "cloud" and the like were just bad juju. Never subscribed for new DVD Cloud options once !
Brown outs frequently in my area, (very rural ). I am spinning media uninterrupted while others are consistently frustrated with broadband drops.

Love this thread forper !

I find myself daydreaming about "2049" and the dystopian doom and gloom story of a ten year "cyber crash" wiping all records, banking info, property ownership, and education data off the grid.... Like, forever never to return and only to be remade over time and not with any semblance of what was recorded "before" the fall ! ! !
(Re; BLADE RUNNER sequal )

Cannot help imagining and feeling that computers are flat out letting us down in the short term. I work every night at a hospital and the computer mainframe is "barely making it" each and every day with a myriad of short falls and delays, not even mentioning black screen in the middle of duties.

A. I. had better straighten out all quirks before making the move for world domination, otherwise it will be a short venture lol ! :?

To sum up :
Find those players one likes, secure a few of them, and enjoy the ride folks.....

We are riding this pony LASERDISC style into the sunset !

keep 'em spinning kids ~
Page 2 of 7 [ Search found 163 matches ]