Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Hello fellows
Posted: 02 Oct 2021, 18:31 

Welcome!

Posted: 07 Oct 2021, 08:38 

Laser always beats the crap out of a needle. I severely don't understand the resurgence of Vinyl.

Posted: 08 Oct 2021, 07:00 

Oh boy, thank you for the replies dudes.

Is 350 nits bad? That's what this monitor apparently displays for HDR..

The short answer is that it'll be better than SDR but sub-par for HDR. You're looking at equipment that's geared for (and priced for) professionals, not movie-watchers. Lower peak brightness means lower possible dynamic range, which is the point of the format, and sure enough the advertised 1,000:1 contrast ratio for this display would count as mediocre for an HDR consumer TV.

Posted: 08 Oct 2021, 14:47 

I could say this in threads all over the internet until I die, but whether a resolution jump matters depends on 1) the source, 2) the size of the screen, 3) the distance between the screen and your eyes, and 4) your eyes . My laptop has a 4K screen, but just because I can tell when something on it is running in 1080p doesn't mean that everyone can.

Indeed.

When iPhones moves from the original res to “retina” (4x as many pixels) the difference was absolutely massive, and this was with the original 3.5 screen and individual pixel elements that are invisible (actually) without a magnifying glass.

A 27” monitor is several times the size, you’d have to be blind not to see the difference…unless you’re sitting fifty feet away from it like you do with a 70”. Is that what some are you imagining? That the OP is sitting on the opposite wall of a 1000 square foot room squinting at a TV so far away he can’t read subtitles? That’s probably not the situation, I think.

My iMac is 4K and only 21.5” and for photography purposes, moving to that screen was the biggest upgrade since I bought an SLR. It’s night and day. You don’t need to zoom your pictures when editing anymore because they are almost native res now.

Posted: 09 Oct 2021, 17:27 

i've several 1988/1991 U.S. CAN. and U.S. MILITARY Post Exchange/Overseas catalogs, but no method or time to scan any of them...

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER%20CLD-3030/.highres/PIONEER%20CHERRY%20BLOSSOM%20SALE%20AAFES%20Misawa%201988%202.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER%20CLD-3030/.highres/PIONEER%20VIDEO%20COMPONENTS%20AAFES%201988%202.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER%20CLD-3030/.highres/PIONEER%20CHERRY%20BLOSSOM%20SALE%20AAFES%20Misawa%201988%203.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER%20CLD-3030/.highres/PIONEER%20CHERRY%20BLOSSOM%20SALE%20AAFES%20Misawa%201988%201.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER%20CLD-3030/.highres/PIONEER%20VIDEO%20COMPONENTS%20AAFES%201988%206.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER%20CLD-3030/.highres/PIONEER%20VIDEO%20COMPONENTS%20AAFES%201988%205.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
https://hosting.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/shaorin-chan/PIONEER%20CLD-3030/.highres/PIONEER%20VIDEO%20COMPONENTS%20AAFES%201988%201.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Posted:  

Posted:  

Posted: 13 Oct 2021, 02:38 

Good luck on the LD journey, remember parts are no longer available, so we have to wait I'm guessing a few years for others to possibly
start on making some lasers or spindle motors, these have been gone for at least a decade.

While I love the LD format I'm personally dumping as much of the common stuff I can, and what I mean by common stuff are the films that I can get
on any format so I can keep my players running for the super super special stuff that has never been released on any other format ever.

Posted: 18 Oct 2021, 21:37 

Replaced the belts on my CLD 1950 couple of weeks ego. Machine is as good as new now. No more hick-ups or anything. Instant loading, drawer opens quickly again.

Posted: 27 Oct 2021, 20:03 

OK I think I’ve got this squared. The belt I ordered from Console5 was just too large (or it stretched out? Can’t be certain)

Dropped in the belt I got from cd-parts on ebay and it’s back in action.

Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
Posted: 09 Nov 2021, 15:02 

I think that discs from Discovision are prone to Laser Rot. i saw a lot of videos from Discovision Laserdisc Openings on Youtube and many of them show signs of Rot. Some of Sony DADC's Laserdiscs are also prone to rot. I think that also several discs from the 1980s are prone to laser rot.

So do you even own any LDs or just watch them on youtube.....

Posted: 11 Nov 2021, 02:00 

Can we have a WTF is going on with prices of common discs category??

Would love to see what others have to say and have a focused category for that.
Been seeing discs and would be nice to ask why these are going so high, is there something special or what.

Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 14:15 

Since my player is back in action, I've been revisitng my Tenchi Universe boxes. :)

Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
Posted: 12 Nov 2021, 19:35 

The number one thing you need to know about rot as a noob is that it is MASSIVELY overly discussed. If you bothered to make that post you’re already thinking about it too hard.

As a daily user of LD for many years I can easily say that I’ve spent more time thinking and talking about rot here than I ever have outside of the forum. Some people buy discs they know are rot prone and get more rotten discs, I don’t know why they do that, I guess they are stupid or love disappointment. A normal person just never buys that disc again…if you do that chances are you’ll never even see a rotters more than 1/100 unless you get all your discs from dirtbag sellers who can’t ship or store anything properly.

Posted: 13 Nov 2021, 03:12 

I swear most of the laserdisc sellers on ebay don't even have a laserdisc player to test out the laserdiscs to make sure it doesn't have any issues. I'm worried about rot and yes I now that's uncommon but it's not only rot I'm worried about. In the past I bought a copy of Puppet Master which only had one side of the film printed on it. I think it's the last half of the movie. It's actually right before all the action happens I think. I don't even know how that happens with a laserdisc. Like how does only one side of the movie get printed on? Either way the seller let me keep that but I haven't even watched it much. Also, I notice that some Brand New laserdiscs will sell more than USED ones. However I personally prefer USED over NEW because that way if the seller does have a player I can ask them if there's any issues. I would say overall most sellers do not have a player. I think I would say about 7/10 Ebay sellers don't have an ld player. Whether they ended up selling the player or they never had one to begin with because they picked the laserdiscs up at a local thrift shop to resell for profit. I never see any laserdiscs at my local thrift shops in South Jersey. I don't think that's too shocking because I bet most people from this area do not have laserdisc players. The only other person I know that has a laserdisc player is my Cousin. I think he knows I have a laserdisc player but he may have forgotten. I probably have more laserdiscs than him. I would let him borrow my laserdiscs if he wanted to watch any of the movies I have. I'm pretty sure he'd definitely want to watch Blade. I remember when I was younger and living at my grandma's house temporarily that he showed off Blade on DVD. I believe at that time period Blade DVD was considered the high standard for DVDs. I think we watched it on a small computer screen though so obviously it would look great on a fat crt monitor. I don't know how well that's aged. The laserdisc is alright looking. I've collected some fairly expensive laserdiscs. Not sure my Cousin has anything on my level of prices I've paid. I feel like he buys the cheaper common laserrdiscs such as Die Hard. I see a zillion Die Hard laserdiscs on ebay and they're always pretty cheap.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 16 matches ]