It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 07:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 20 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 06 Nov 2011, 01:22 

Tina Turner must surely be the Number 1 contender for most music laserdiscs by one artist!

This is just some of them:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/TinaTurner1.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/TinaTurner2.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/TinaTurner3.jpg

Posted: 04 May 2013, 15:54 

I can see that many people have a few Spaghetti Westerns in their laserdisc collections - the most popular being:
Fistful of Dollars, A (1964) [ML101796]
For A Few Dollars More (1965) [ML102226]
Good, the Bad and the Ugly, The (1966) [ML101739]

I just thought I'd start a thread on the subject as I feel there are other great Spaghetti Westerns available on laserdisc which rarely ever get a mention and many are not even listed as being present in people's collections.

First a superb set of 5 Italian westerns released by Columbia Video Discs in 1985 which were only released in Japan:
Days of Vengeance (1966) (Uncut) [98C59-6064]
Tierra Brava (1969) [98C59-6065]
Django (1966) [98C59-6066]
Massacre Time (1966) [98C59-6067]
Per Pochi Dollari Ancora (1966) [98C59-6068]

All of these are tough to find these days. I had acquired a decent used copy of Massacre Time a few years ago, but hit it lucky recently when I picked up the other 4 all sealed and in pristine condition:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/SpaghettiWesternLDs1_zps84130a85.jpg

Another set of 5 Spaghetti westerns that was issued by publisher Bandai / Emotion in 1996 consists of:
My Name is Nobody (1973) [BELL-900]
Django, Kill! (If You Live Shoot) (1967) [BELL-901]
Vamos a matar, companeros (1970) [BELL-902]
Great Silence, The (1968) [BELL-903]
J & S: Criminal Story of an Outlaw Couple (1972) [BELL-904]

These are much easier to obtain but worthy of tracking down still:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/SpaghettiWesternLDs2_zps00f398d7.jpg

Then of course there are the two Trinity movies starring Terence Hill & Bud Spencer as well as the epic 'Once Upon a Time In the West' and less well known but still excellent 'A Bullet for the General'.
They Call Me Trinity (1971) [20205]
Trinity is Still My Name (1972) [20215]
Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) [LV6830-2WS]
Bullet For the General, A (1967) [SF047-1772]
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/SpaghettiWesternLDs3_zps184bd1cb.jpg

Posted: 30 Jun 2013, 17:04 

Steve Winwood has had a very profilic career to date having featured in classic bands such as Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith and Traffic as well as going on to carve a very successful solo career.

I'm too young to remember what all the fuss was about in the 60's and 70's however with the aid of some laserdiscs I've been able to revisit this golden period along
with his later performance from the 80's and 90's which I do remember!

Spencer Davis Group "Keep On Runnin'" is on:
Beat Club vol.02: British Invasion 1 - Keep On Runnin' [SM048-3222]
Beat Club: History of: vol.1 ('60s) (1991) [PILP-1103]
VH-1: Rock In The UK/Psychedelic High (1993) [ID2732RH]

Spencer Davis Group is also featured on:
British Rock: The First Wave [SM058-3072]

Spencer Davis Group "Gimme Some Loving" is on:
Rock'n'roll Greatest Years: 66 (1966) [VAL-3110]

Spencer Davis Group "I'm A Man" is on:
Rock'n'roll Greatest Years: 67 vol.2 (1967) [VAL-3112]

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/11_zps413e8bac.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/12_zpsa8a7d0a4.jpg

Blind Faith 'Do-Waa' is on:
Superstars in Concert [SM068-3271]

Traffic full length concert live at Santa Monica 1972 is on:
Traffic: Live in Santa Monica [VALS-3250]

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/1_zps453c18f5.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/2_zpse1a3e419.jpg

Traffic "40,000 Headmen" is on:
Casey Kasem: British Invasion (1986) [ID6190VE]

Traffic "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" is on:
Beat Club: History of: vol.1 ('60s) (1991) [PILP-1103]

Island Records 25th Anniversity promo LD which includes short overview of Steve Winwoods career in Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and as a solo artist:
Still Touching The Soul [CDV 009001]

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/4_zps6674cd54.jpg

You get to see snippets of several early concert performances as well as few glimpses of some of his videos such as 'While You See A Chance', 'Higher Love' and a live version of 'Back In The High Life Again'.

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/5_zps973ff3f5.jpg

The ARMS charity concert is on:
The ARMS' Concert: Ronnie Lane Appeal for Arms (1983) [TE-D048]

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/6_zps786b8f47.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/7_zpsad8f1189.jpg

It features Steve performing the following tracks:
Road Runner
Slowdown Sundown
Take Me to the River
Gimme Some Lovin'

Other promo LDs feature various videos from his later solo albums - none of which have ever been officially released on later formats:

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/8_zpsbecd15a0.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/9_zpsb2cb7584.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/10_zpsbe7c4981.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k567/laserdisc_fan/3_zpsd12f332d.jpg

'Higher Love' from Back In The High Life album (1986) is on:
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 106 (1986) [VB106]
Audix Soundware Promo Music Compilation [T-06166]

'Finer Things' from Back In The High Life album (1986) is on:
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 111 (1986) [---]

'Freedom Overspill' from Back In The High Life album (1986) is on:
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 108 (1986) [vb108]

'Roll With It' from Roll With It album (1988) is on:
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 121 (1987) [---]

'Don't You Know What The Night Can Do' from Roll With It album (1988) is on:
3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 122 (1988) [---]

"One and Only Man" from 'Refugees Of The Heart' album (1990) is on:
Laser Juke: Music Compilation Series [13.20.02]

"Spy In The House Of Love" from Junction Seven album (1997) is on:
ET/VideoLink Hot Hits: Number 1057 pending submission

LDDB.com also mentions the possible existence of the following title:
Stevie Winwood: Live in U.S [WV038-3025]
I've never seen it or know anyone else who owns it but it would be amazing if such a title does exist, particularly if it was a live concert from the 80's.
Since no one else has it added to their collection after all this time it seems likely it probably got cancelled.

Posted: 05 Oct 2017, 18:59 

Hi elahrairrah - I've had one dealing with this seller.

Some months ago he listed a rare laserdisc for sale.
I proceeded to purchase it and then he refused to ship it to the UK with the following reply:

Thank you for looking at my site and considering purchase of this rare laserdisc. unfortunately, i had not wished to ship this overseas (outside the U.S.), as it is very expensive, in excellent condition and i am afraid it could suffer damage during shipping. if you were to receive it damaged in any way, you would most likely return, and i would be left refunding cost + shipping both ways. i do not think i want to take the risk.
in addition, just to ship to you i would need to use usps priority at a minimum, which is approximately $60 USD. this seems like a high cost.
if you agree with me, we should probably cancel this transaction.
if you have anyone in the US that i could ship to, who would assume risk of travel and forward to you, i would be willing to do that.

Whilst I was agreeable to paying priority mail I was definitely not agreeable to shipping it to a third party in the US as that would mean I had no comeback if he never shipped it all since I am only covered for the address associated with my paypal account.

So we agreed to cancel the transaction. Definitely someone I would NOT purchase from again.
I got the impression he didn't know how to pack LDs properly so I wasn't prepared to take the risk.

Posted: 23 Feb 2018, 20:14 

This is an interesting thread for me. I've got a laserdisc collection that easily justifies the spend since I own 10,000 laserdiscs -so probably the largest collection in the world at the moment. I also own an HLD-X9 LD player so that isn't an issue in terms of having a decent source player to play these laserdiscs on. So why am I still sitting on the fence undecided?

Well the Lumagen Radiance 2144 is just another piece of electronic hardware and hardware can fail. I don't doubt Lumagen as a company would do everything they possibly could to try and keep me happy if it did fail, but can they really repair this device in 10 or especially 15 years time if they don't even make them now?

Also would they even have anything remotely comparable to offer in its place if they couldn't repair it? I doubt it given they appear to have abandoned all development of video processors for analogue sources or if they haven't soon will.

A lot of you guys have small analogue collections if truth be told. I've also seen more people come and go on this forum than snow off a ditch over the last 10 years. One minute some guy can't wait to buy all the MUSE titles ever released, the next he's selling the lot. So my point is this do I go on the advice of someone like that who switches technology more often than I change my TV channels or do I trust my own gut instinct.

I'm in it for the long haul. There's no turning back when you've as many discs as I have! It isn't about the quantity though, its about the fact I love music on laserdisc so again my emphasis is primarily the sound with the bonus of having some video to watch - not the other way around. I'm also very happy with the picture quality I get at the moment even from some of my more basic LD players and I'm not using any fancy video processors at all, just built-in scaling in the DVD player and AV Receiver. I also only use 2 speakers since that's pretty much all you need if you want to listen to music.

So you see my dilemma.

Posted: 24 Feb 2018, 00:37 

Haven't had the chance to test the discs yet.
But will do tomorrow.

It seems to be some kind of chemical reaction with the plastic coating of the disc.
It must have come in contact with some sort of material that caused the plastic coating of the disc to react like this.

We'll see how it plays tomorrow

Laserdiscs are tricky to photograph as they are so reflective but if its only on the surface Novus 1 Polish should be able to clean that mist off and it will be as good as new. I've found a layer of mist forms on LDs if they have been left in polylined bags for many years without being taken out. You often seen this on sealed stock that is decades old. Most likely some form of gas given off by the plastic which results in a buildup of particles on the surface of the disc. Also happened with some EMI Swindon CDs from the 90's and they could be polished as well and were fine.

Posted: 17 Mar 2018, 21:41 

I can think of thousands of reasons why Laserdisc is the best format ever!

Here's just 10:

The Blue Nile - Downtown Lights
Siouxsie & The Banshees - Red Light
Roachford - Kathleen
Berlin - Like Flames
Survivor - I Can't Hold Back
Bad English - Forget Me Not
Beastie Boys - She's On It
Bass-O-Matic - Fascinating Rhythm
K-Klass - Rhythm is a Mystery
Duran Duran - Breath After Breath

Posted: 25 Mar 2018, 12:54 

Any more of a background story? Really can't see those two being missed on YJP and going that cheap!

A few people on Facebook were very sceptical when the guy posted the initial details for those 2 selling for 200 yen each in Japan. I've bought loads of stuff from him over the years so I certainly believed him as he would have no reason to lie. He was just miffed he had missed buying them himself! The reason no one outside Japan noticed them was because they weren't listed on Yahoo. It was apparently some other online site within Japan. He didn't reveal the identity and I don't blame him. The seller who acquired them was from Japan so it all makes sense as he would have been able to see them without much competition. He certainly bagged a massive profit when he then resold them a few weeks later. The seller doesn't collect LDs and doesn't even own a LD player but they know that those late releases are very sought after internationally so they try to locate them to sell outside of Japan.

Posted: 28 Mar 2018, 13:17 

My first experience of this happening was actually with Dadons a few years ago but I'm finding more and more sellers are doing this now. It seems to be catching on.

They list items for sale having spent zero time researching what they are worth.
So their prices can be all over the place.
You then proceed to buy an item or put in an offer.
You'll get some lame excuse back a few days later that it's out of stock or they couldn't find it etc.
In reality the extra time has allowed them to check the real demand & market value.
A few days later the exact same title then re-appears at 6 times the original price.

This has happened to me on Ebay, Discogs and even Amazon for used items where there were no other copies available.

I'm getting a bit fed up doing all the ground work for these lazy sellers who don't know the true value of what they are selling and are using buyers to identify the 'sought' after items then hiking their prices accordingly.

Posted: 23 May 2018, 12:00 

I began collecting LDs in 2006 so was a late comer to the format, yet even at that stage I was shocked at the inflated prices some sellers were looking for certain titles.

By way of example a typical seller on LDDB.com who resided in Japan was often looking a minimum of 5 times what they had paid for the item in Japan. Quite often it was more like 10 times! How do I know this?.....because when I started buying from Japan myself in 2007 I found out the real prices which were only a fraction of the prices the sellers were looking. Even taking into consideration the fees associated with buying from a proxy which the sellers who resided in Japan could often avoid their prices were astronomically inflated.

It seems to me the laserdisc marketplace was dominated by a few greedy sellers from Japan in the early days before proxies became common place. These sellers created artificially high prices since there was no shortage back then of rare titles - they obviously wanted to preserve that myth that there was a shortage. Even as late as 2007 when I logged onto Yahoo for the first time it was like looking at an ocean of rare titles as far as the eye could see - there were loads still available. 12 years on and 10,000 LDs later, things have certainly changed but I think those early sellers have a lot to answer for in terms of explaining where the high prices first originated from.

Posted: 24 May 2018, 14:26 

There is also evidence from old threads online of sellers like Nicolas Santini originally based in Japan offering to sell titles from the early 2000s:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.cult-movies.alien/ezUDc2MFvQo

The reaction to some of those threads is very funny and also very telling especially in relation to pricing.

Posted: 01 Jan 2020, 21:43 

The best laserdisc source for the video you are after is this NTSC promo which plays perfectly with no rot:
Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 73 [10-467]

Posted: 14 Jan 2021, 23:18 

This one contains a selection of Christmas hits:

ET/VideoLink Christmas 1988 - Volume 3 [15-733]

Posted: 16 Jan 2021, 13:45 

Presumably you have it and will flesh out the entry. I’d like to see the track list.

Yes located it today and posted an entry for Julien to authorise.

In the interim here are the tracks on it:

Manheim Steamroller - Little Drummer Boy
Bing Crossby - White Christmas
Traditional Arrangement - Deck The Halls
Hall & Oats - Jingle Bell Rock
Manheim Steamroller - Silent Night
Crystal Gayle - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
Bowie & Crosby - Little Drummer Boy
The Judds - Away In The Manger
Kenny Rodgers & Dolly Parton - The Greatesy Gift Of All
The Carpenters - Ava Maria
Manheim Steamroller - Deck The Halls
Deborah Allen - Rockin' Little Christmas
Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas
Ray Stevens Santa Claus Is Watching You
Statler Brothers - Christmas Eve

Post subject: Re: DAFT PUNK on LaserDisc
Posted: 06 Feb 2021, 01:29 

I would be interested in any KLF videos on LD other than the Doctorn’ the Tardis CDV. Does anyone know of any?

Club Clips [BVLP-61]

Laser Juke: Music Compilation Series [13.24.02]

MTV Party To Go: Volume 2 (1992) [PA-92-465]

Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 49 (1991) [07-463]

Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - Jukebox Network: Disc 77 (1991) [07-452]

Pioneer Promotional Music Videos - The Box: Disc 222 (1996) [05-140]

Posted: 29 Aug 2021, 20:09 

The biggest issue here is that the sale is restricted to USA and local pickup.
Recent statistics reveal 63% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck and can't even cope with a $500 emergency.
Once the stimulus checks end that figure will be much higher.
That's not a good demographic for trying to sell an expensive collection to.

Posted: 16 Nov 2021, 21:41 

I own 3M Promotional Music Videos - Videobox Networks Inc: Disc 113 (1987) [VB 113]

It's the proper music video featuring the original artist. These discs were originally produced for satellite broadcast in the 80's and might have been used in some video jukeboxes as well. I own the complete set from that series manufactured by 3M. They are very difficult to track down today.

Posted: 16 Nov 2021, 22:27 

teddanson wrote:

So definitely no seagulls, melancholic women in snow blizzards or couples in their twilight years on a Sandals over 60's tour of Venice? :thumbup:

No but you captured what those Karaoke LDs are like perfectly with that description!

Posted: 20 Jan 2022, 15:47 

Hi Paulisdead, are you related to LD fan? Just curious because of the avatar. I've been a FWM fan for a while. I have Fleetwood Mac: The Dance (1997) [WPLR-62] and it has been unsatisfying on speakers but I recently listened on headphones and adored every second. Recommended.

The original laserdisc_fan here.... no connection to Paulisdead!

I had forgotten about this thread as it was a long time ago but I still really like that Tusk era Discovision title.
For all its flaws the footage was still very cool to watch and to this day remains unreleased on later formats, despite the huge re-issue campaign Fleetwood Mac embarked on over the last 10 years with super deluxe versions boxsets of all of their most prolific albums. If you collect Fleetwood Mac I would say it is essential. Whilst some copies do suffer from laser rot, there are plenty that don't so the odds of getting a good copy are still pretty high. Also try to get hold of one with the plastic coated jacket if you can which is very resilent to wear.

Posted: 13 Apr 2023, 22:26 

Some of the smaller black marks do look like possible damage in the original print, but others particularly the one in the guys hair in the first photo look like the sort of classic black speckle you might encounter on a laserdisc that suffers from laser rot.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 20 matches ]