It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 45 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 13 Sep 2012, 19:38 

I will pay for signatures so long as they're not crazy expensive. Free would be better, but if I'm a fan, eh, a few bucks won't kill me.

Patrick Stewart's autograph at Wizard World this past summer was crazy. No way was I going to pay $75, after already paying $60 just to get in the friggin' door. Which would make really make it $135 for the autograph. No thanks!

Some stars and directors don't charge. I got my Blood Feast LD autographed by Herschell Gordon Lewis and he didn't charge. He was really taken aback seeing his movie on LD (even put his glasses on to take a closer look!)

Fred Dekker, I understand, doesn't charge either.

Post subject: Re: Marantz 2275 receiver
Posted: 01 Aug 2022, 07:46 

Hello,

The 2275 is a stereo receiver: https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2012/05/marantz-2275.html

It has no surround decoding capability and no inputs for 4ch or more.

But you can enjoy good stereo nonetheless! :-)

Julien

Post subject: Re: Marantz 2275 receiver
Posted: 01 Aug 2022, 13:23 

That’s an excellent stereo receiver. I have a 2235 in my living room which I use exclusively for music because there is no %¥*#@-ing TV in my living room. That unit can be refurbed forever, a timeless masterpiece.

For home theater you buy some made in China POS every few years because nothing lasts anymore.

Post subject: Re: educational LD
Posted: 03 Aug 2022, 00:46 

Oh it does, please add if can, if you get stuck post a picture and we'll try to help with the missing info.

Pictures are sometimes hard to upload so don't give up :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Dolby pro login ac3?
Posted: 06 Aug 2022, 05:30 

Yes and no.

Basically all current day Processors & AV Receivers can decode AC3 as that is the technical name for Dolby Digital since the beginning. Thus, hook up any DVD player, Blu ray player, cable box, digital TV, game system, streaming box, etc. with an optical / coaxial digital output and you’ll get AC3 (as well as DTS) discrete 5.1 sound.

However, the version of AC3 for LaserDisc is called AC3-RF . This Marantz does not have that type of input so you would need an AC3-RF Demodulator to make it work w/ this AV Receiver.

Here is a link to all the AV products that support AC3-RF.

https://www.lddb.com/hardware/part/ac3rf/

Hope this helps.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 13:56 

Are you specifically wedded to the elephant condom style? Because if not, some inner sleeves designed for vinyl collectors are also suitable for LaserDiscs. "poly-lined LP sleeves" is a good thing to search on Amazon. But of course these tend to be the paper sleeves with the plastic insides, like you'd get with many American/European laserdiscs.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 14:03 

All of the products you will need are going to be for Vinyl.
You need to look for antistatic, either the sleeves that are U shaped or the Elephant Condoms
or paper with antistatic inside the holder/sleeve/inner sleeve.

You can use as muzer posted the paper with poly inside, they are fine too I just don't like them as a personal preference.

Life hint: look for something made that is similar and you can usually find the product you need.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 15:34 

I’ve never found round bottomed sleeves from US sources that aren’t slightly oversized. That may drive you nuts but it may not. They’ll still fit fine but they are larger.

I get my stuff from Bags Unlimited usually.

Posted: 10 Aug 2022, 17:09 

Yeah I had to source my ECs from Japan, the antistatic sleeves are perfect fit for Japan sleeves which we all know about the smaller inner size than the
US sleeves that discs will slop around inside.

Post subject: Re: Discoloration
Posted: 03 Sep 2022, 08:58 

Hi, it sounds likely that your speakers at only 4” are located much too close to your CRT TV screen and the magnets in the drive units are causing the problems. I’d move them further away pronto before any permanent damage to the tube (if it hasn’t been done already?) is caused; also using the top of the TV as a base for a LD/DVD or similar player is not the best location either, hope this helps.

Posted: 03 Sep 2022, 14:14 

Ah, my apologies - should have read more carefully and I can’t blame my glasses either as I’ve just purchased a new pair :oops:

Could still be caused by the close proximity of the LD player though, so hopefully moving it away could help, good luck :thumbup:

Posted: 03 Sep 2022, 14:47 

:lol: I'm dying here.
Why do you have the LD player on top of the TV, its probably causing some magnetic field when spinning up.

Move your player, shouldn't be on top of the TV anyway.
Hope you enjoy older tech.

Search up the magnet around your CRT tube its fun.

I watch laser disks on a CRT TV my laser displayer is on top of my TV I have 2 speakers on there's on the left and the right both about 4' away from the TV. After watching a movie for about 10 minutes I can see discoloration in the picture when I hit the pause button the blue screen from the laser disc and you can see a definite discolor on the screen it goes away after about 25 seconds is this normal? for an older TV? The discolorations on the far left edge and the upper right corner where the TV would say pause.

Posted: 03 Sep 2022, 17:07 

Discoloration on the corners can be attributed to the degausing circuit not working properly in the TV (maybe cold solder joint on the board where the degausing band plugs into it). Also, how big is this CRT? If 35" or bigger, these sets also had an orientation switch to compensate for North & South Poles affecting the picture.

As for the player on top of a TV, that usually wouldn't cause that kind of problem. Worst case on some players is that a moire pattern appears on the screen when the player is left on and the TV is on the tuner (RF Input).

Posted: 05 Sep 2022, 00:42 

I'm wondering now if it was stored or moved wrong and as ldfan said the circuit inside isn't working right.

But even if it is a magnet, the LD spinning up or something else we can't figure without seeing it in person or even seeing it in person still may not be able to figure.
You can fix if it is the magnetic deal but should be very careful to make sure that's the issue before otherwise you will make it worse.

Are you using Svideo or what cables? Have you tried to change cables, it may be easier to swap a cable than start messing with tweeking if not needed.

But if this is on LD only I would say its more of a cable or another issue and not the magnetic field degaussing issue.

Posted: 05 Sep 2022, 03:37 

Are you sure you don’t see any discoloration on the antenna and game system?

You did mention having the LD player’s blue screen up to easily see the discoloration so maybe it’s still there on the other two sources but you just can’t distinguish it because there is no blue screen.

Also, 35” TVs’ are notorious for these kinds of issues. I recall a fairly low end Mitsubishi (possibly a CS-35205) that was particularly bad with corner discoloration and I suspect it was due to not having enough magnetic shielding around the tube.

In regards to degaussing, you can test if it is working as there is a manual degauss button in the front that you can press to see if that does anything. You will see the picture compress a bit for a second and that means the degausser is working. Also, the polarity switch does have a position called neutral and that should be set there if the TV is facing either East or West.

Posted: 05 Sep 2022, 18:20 

You could always get a degaussing ring to see if that might fix the corner discoloration (or reduce it). Here is one available on eBay....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284954193869?hash=item425897efcd:g:uqUAAOSwMSFjE3w9

How you use this is that you wave this ring in front of the TV in a circular motion and back away slowly in the process of doing so. You may have to concentrate more of the wave on those corners to see if it will fix the issue.

However, I have seen these issues before and many times once they are there you can't totally get rid of it. It might be damage from some magnetic field @ some point in time (I think I recall an incident when working @ The Good Guys that some 35" TVs' were stored near speakers in a stock room and that was enough to screw them up).

Posted: 06 Sep 2022, 21:13 

I think you really need to post pictures of your issues before you start with the coil.
Make sure you don't mess it up when it may really not need this, it could also need this but we are only going on what you are saying.

Just to be safe before you mess it up.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
Posted: 11 Sep 2022, 18:33 

You never use any kind of chemicals on a disc surface as it has the potential to mar the finish and then the laser will not be able to read the data.

Just use water and a non-abrasive cloth and don’t wipe in a circular pattern.

Posted: 11 Sep 2022, 23:05 

Oh I may be wrong, I though on the inner sleeves that had blue printing said how to clean??

I didn't think alcohol was goo for CDs either, not just film as LDs are made of a different plastic but that will get
between the thin foil and coating on the top of the CD but again I may be mistaken on that one.

I personally clean CDs with soap, water and a very fine sponge that won't scratch, the CDs I get from thrift stores are grimy.

Posted: 12 Sep 2022, 00:24 

OK found it, seems like it was only on Warner Brothers discs but I don't know for how long.
I thought it was on more discs but I guess it wasn't.

I know there is a topic here where we talk about how to clean but I guess this should be a main point like size of discs etc.

Posted: 12 Sep 2022, 01:10 

Loved those jackets with the care tips......
Very helpful.
I used several mild cleaners, however just a good breath and polish worked 9 times out of 10.

Science it out....
Always test trial on a valueless platter. I kept several around just for that purpose.

Cheers to the membership !

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 05:03 

The short answer for coaxial vs. fiberoptic connections is that when you're talking about digital signals, it doesn't matter. Both coaxial and fiber send the exact same bits. The only potential difference I can think of is if your coaxial cable is so poorly shielded that it's adding noise to analog signals (not digital) on other cables. But even that will only come into play if your cable is absolute dogshit - cheap, standard ones should have no problems. I would just use what's most readily and cheaply available.

I don't have any experience with DVD combo players, but the AC3 RF output should only apply to LaserDiscs, not DVDs, because DVD doesn't store things in an FM signal like LaserDisc does. I'd read your player's manual about audio output options for DVD; if you don't have the original, there should be a scan of the manual you can find online.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 06:03 

See page six of the following manual......

https://manuals.lddb.com/AC3RF_Demodulators/Lexicon_LDD-1-EN.pdf

The only thing you need to disregard is the proprietary DIN cable for other Lexicon products and simply add a composite video cable from the LD player to whatever composite video input on your AV Receiver you have assigned to your same analog audio cables.

Lastly, you will need to read your AV Receiver manual to know how to switch from Digital or Analog audio inputs for when you might play back an "analog sound only" disc.

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 08:00 

On another note I realize that the laser displayer goes from the a C3 RF out into the demodulator to the demodulator and the demodulator into the home theater receiver I guess what I'm asking is the best way to do that and When I watch a DVD on this laser displayer do I need to run audio from the laser displayer straight to the home theater receiver or will the same audio audio wires going through the demodulator work

Specifically for the Lexicon LDD-1 which is a passive pass-through (in coax only), you should output Digital to the LDD-1 via Coax, not optical/Toslink.

This way it will work even when powered off and will only need to be turned on for AC3RF demodulation or (selectable) Optical input.
This can even be achieved via external 12V remote trigger with the right cable if your A/V amp has such capabilities.

Julien

Posted: 14 Sep 2022, 17:38 

Let's hope the player arrives intact. Shipping is the bane of many LD players. :wtf:
Page 1 of 2 [ Search found 45 matches ]