It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 16:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 2 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Pioneer HLD-X0 Review
Posted: 30 Dec 2022, 03:27 

I actually got my X0 working it turns out it was the mainboard and the mainboard for these players can cause plenty of problems. I recapped the hell out of the mainboard and kept getting a P5 error and the disc would not spin up. So did a little more work and tonight it fired up and is spinning a disc and working properly now.

I really never want to work on one of these players again it's a complete pain in the you know what. The video though the colors and picture were near perfect. Best I have seen on any LD player including the X9 which is pretty solid and the 7020 from McIntosh. Well worth the time and effort. Thanks to some fellow fourm members here who offered to take a look at it.

So if you ever get a P5 error on this machine there is a good chance it's the mainboard if everything else looks good.

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: Pioneer HLD-X0 Review
Posted: 01 Jan 2023, 03:48 

Well that's a great Christmas present, took you work but got it done.
I doubt anybody other than a super diehard will be buying one of these players, and if its worse than something like a PR-7820 or an S1 or a 3070 then I will never
touch it.
Even if I had money to burn, its been too long and the player is too old and still too expensive I would need a super warranty for this one since there are no parts
available and none as of yet to be rebuilt.

But again very happy to hear you got it working and enjoy it, I've never seen one in person and I'm sure the image is great but not worth the risk for me.

Glad we are still spinning these in the next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

My thoughts on the X0:
It's a nice big bulky fancy Laserdisc player. It does not offer A/B play so you have to flip the disc. It is the best built LD player ever made but yeah I likely won't ever bother getting another one and don't recommend anyone to get one unless it's at a really good price because it's so heavy,bulky and hard to work on. there are like no parts available to fix this player. It was like a game of chess for me with this thing and finding what was bad on the mainboard. I do also own an X9 which is also one of the best and really the picture difference between the X9/X0 isn't that dramatic. The colors,blacks on the X0 are a tad better and that is it most people would not notice a big difference. What is huge on the X0 is it's ability to read pretty much any LD even if it has disc rot and play it without a hitch which is really why I wanted one of these.

The X9 though which is way cheaper and also offers A/B play is likely the one to get if you want the absolute best LD player and parts are not available for that either. In all fairness though LD is a dead format and it's getting harder to get used LD parts now for pretty much any LD player. However yeah these Japan models parts are nearly impossible to get.

The X0 though is an amazing machine and the best LD player ever made and I love it but not worth the $3 grand Japan sellers are asking for it now. It's worth $2 grand imo. Go with an X9 which is cheaper instead if you want one of the best LD players ever made. The X0/X9 there isn't a big dramatic difference in performance unless you have lots of LD's with disc rot.

Still this player is quite a beauty!
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 2 matches ]