It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 06:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 2 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: CLD-3080 AC-3 mod
Posted: 06 Jul 2014, 16:56 

I just successfully completed an AC-3 mod of my CLD-3080. Since I think one of the biggest hindrances to DIYers is knowing where to tap the various signals from and which circuit to use, I'm posting my results:

1. The circuit I used was this one:
http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/ac3cir2.gif

I couldn't find the specific transistors the circuit references so I used MPSA06 for Q1 and MPSA56 for Q2

2. The points on the audio board

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-AAYaF-hVk_o/U7lsnJ4K4BI/AAAAAAAAAWc/mb_zjY1t0_8/s1426/audio%20board.png

Click on the image above to make it larger.

RF is tapped from R42 (the side in common with the emitter of Q8)
Mute tapped from the base of Q1
+5v and -5V are both available from CN501

Hope this helps!

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 11 Oct 2022, 05:44 

I'm sure there are a small number of people interested in a mod kit like this. It would definitely help facilitate more people willing to mod their players if they didn't have to build a board from scratch. I myself did scratch build my last two boards w/ this schematic and I can confirm it does work perfectly (but only for MAH players mainly sold in the US & Japan so please be aware of that; MAL players are mostly European models).

Moving on, I do have some comments....

It will be configurable with a PCB mounted BNC jack because I like BNC connectors. For those of you who don't like BNC connectors, I'll include an option to include a standard BNC-to-RCA adaptor that can fit right on the jack.

I can understand why you like BNC as it is definitely the better connector design. However, since all AC3-RF hardware was built around the RCA jack, it would probably make sense to simply offer the kit w/ an RCA jack option exclusively.

You can omit the mute circuit if you want by carefully removing Q2 and then jumping the correct pads. Figured better to include the mute portion than not. 

I would always encourage everyone to use Mute. Maybe it's only been my experience but of the one player I modded and left the mute off (I shorted the mute line to GND per instructions from a kit I was using), I would always get a sporadic loud bang on my speakers during the initial start up of a disc. However, all my players w/ a working mute circuit never exhibited this issue.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 2 matches ]