It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 18:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 2 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 19 Jan 2023, 01:29 

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!! I could use some advice on healing/fixing the plastic, which is supposedly ABS.

Apparently the eye for the underside of the disc was maligned or wasn't going back far enough on it's rail or something else wrong with it, I didn't know that though.

1. I forced the tray open (in retrospective I don't think I needed to).
2. I forced the underside eye from the back to the center of the machine.
3. I turned on the machine and the bottom eye sought to the back again.
4. This time the eye made a grinding sound and was vibrating back there.
5. I pushed down on the white spinner-picker-upper thing and the eye was picked up.
6. After the eye was picked up/changed, it performed a spin and it is seemingly works again!!

Currently all functionality seems intact although I don't know about auto-side change because all I have is a karaoke LaserDisc and when it reaches the end of side A, it prints "PAUSE". So I don't know about that but side change via the button works.

Thank you to all 3 of you. Honestly the most helpful was the link to the service guide as that let me know I would only be performing brute force tactics. There was no way I was going to take my scope to it :-/ It's always a good idea but, not knowing anything, well... too much time down that route.

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 19 Jan 2023, 23:07 

I took your guy's epoxy + brace suggestion. I quickly printed this elaborate brace but decided to only use a portion of it, it has holes in case I need screws later on. The brace is a failure because I *_thought_* I read somewhere that epoxy would cause PLA to melt a little, soft like when using vapor for surface smoothing. I was completely wrong, the PLA didn't cause any reaction at all.

I couldn't find a single player locally. I tried over 30 different pawn shops and a few of which were chain stores. One shop claimed to have about 500 or so LD's but none of them had players. Tried craigslist too. I was looking for a player and 1 specific LD... no love.

P.S. The LD I'm looking for is a copy (or two) of 10,000 Maniacs: MTV Unplugged (1994) [40183-6] Just that disc, no others.

The next thing I have to figure out is how to rip a disc "bit perfect". There's a lot of cloudy information revolving around this, but I do know that on Linux and Windows "Reaper" does work. ALSA (ie. arecord) works straight out of the box. I'm not sure about MacOS (doesn't run well in VMPlayer... pretty badly in fact). I also know that some mixer software won't allow bit perfect ever. ie. Focusrite Sapphire Pro 24 (old Firewire) using their official mixer. Also, some editing software won't or hides the option to record bit perfect ie. Pro Tools 12.5 and Ableton and Audacity apparently wont capture bit perfect (but can edit after turning off dithering).

Anyhow, thanks for all the help :-). Some day soon the Thrift Store will have a new player.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 2 matches ]