It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 11:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 9 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Conan The Barbarian
Posted: 31 Jul 2023, 04:08 

I rewatched Conan the Barbarian (1982) [41018] today, and on LaserDisc this time of course. Thought I'd rewatch Conan today because I finished reading Jason Aaron and Mahmud Asrar's Conan The Barbarian graphic novel from Marvel, which was a fantastic read! Plus it's Arnold Schwarzenegger's 76th birthday. And my 20th! That's so cool I share birthdays with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Conan The Barbarian is a phenomenal film! The way it balances adventure and emotion is just great. Conan is a loveable protagonist who suffers torture and the loss of his loved ones at the hands of Thulsa Doom. The score by Basil Poledoris is epic and really adds to the emotional weight of the movie. The production design and practical effects are terrific.

Conan The Barbarian is kinda underrated I think. I'd say it's the greatest fantasy film of all time.

Post subject: Re: Conan The Barbarian
Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 02:17 

Glad for your post recognizing CONAN !
One of my all time fav fantasy films. Left a big impression when it first came out.
Agreed about opinion of " one of the best " of all time.

James Earl Jones performs a most memorable role as Falsa Doom.
Could post all day.

Top notch man.
Sharing a birthday with the terminator ! Most excellent.

Cheers to the members.....

"Left a big impression" yep, all the Italian knock offs like Ator The Fighting Eagle and Conquest lol I've seen a lot of those by now.

My top 3 80s Fantasy movies are Conan The Barbarian, The Clan of the Cave Bear, and Fire And Ice, all 3 I have both on VHS and LaserDisc. Just rewatched Clan again today, that one is so underrated.

Post subject: Re: Conan The Barbarian
Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 15:04 

Right on ...
Also felt Ralph Bakshi's FIRE & ICE was passed over like many of his iconic creations. The artwork was staggering.
Roto scope genre was leveled up due to Bakshi and his teams. LOTR is one of my favorite creations of his.
Sometimes that way with art that is ahead of its time. Takes awhile to take root with people if at all with the exception of just the devoted.....

Agreed with Clan of the Cave Bear. A buddy is a big fan of the novels and not into film however I felt like a great attempt at bringing the epoch to 2D life lol.

Gotta watch CONAN and DESTROYER again, been a few years.....

Cheers mate

I've seen Conan The Destroyer twice, and disliked it both times. I love Conan The Barbarian because it's a serious movie with emotional weight. Destroyer on the other hand was super campy and full of unnecessary slapstick. I have a video of the movie on my hen modded PlayStation 3 super slim, haven't bothered buying a VHS or anything of it.

The Red Sonja with Brigitte Nielsen I thought was pretty good: maybe not emotional like Conan The Barbarian but it's fast paced, action packed, and the sense of humor is just like Conan The Barbarian's: occasional cheeky dialogue. That one I got on VHS.

There's also the 2011 Conan movie with Jason Momoa which obviously isn't as good as the 1982 movie but still a fun Fantasy adventure.

And then there's the Kull movie from 1997 which I thought was just terrible.

Post subject: Quest for Fire
Posted: 04 Aug 2023, 18:38 

I rewatched Quest For Fire (1981) [1148-85] last night. It's about a trio of cavemen who go on an adventure to find fire for their tribe, and they meet a woman named Ika (played by Rae Dawn Chong) whose tribe knows how to make fire.

There was all sorts of cool stuff in this movie: a battle between men and apes, Lions wearing prosthetic fangs as Sabertooths, Elephants dressed in fur as Mammoths, a fight with a Bear, cannibals, etc. It's especially cool how you don't have to know what exactly the characters are saying to get what's going on. Also the music in the movie (performed by the London Symphony Orchestra) has a sort of Star Wars Original Trilogy sound to it. Ron Perlman plays one of the cavemen, LOL! It was his first movie too. Really good movie, though I think it's kinda slow at times.

I wish there were way more Ice Age adventure movies out there like Quest for Fire and The Clan of the Cave Bear (which I also have on LaserDisc) I saw Alpha (2018) I thought that one was alright. I did see Roland Emmerich's 10,000 BC (2008) once when I was a kid.

Post subject: The Puppetoon Movie (1987)
Posted: 31 Aug 2023, 18:51 

The other day I watched the Puppetoon Movie (1987) [ID6122IV]

It isn't so much a movie as it is a compilation of stop motion short films by George Pal done in the 1930s and 1940s. Puppetoons involved using wood puppets, and changing parts like heads or arms for each frame, or even replacing the entire puppet for each frame of the stop motion. George Pal did a superb job at stop motion animating! I especially liked his Sleeping Beauty adaptation, and "Tulips shall always grow". There's also a John Henry tall-tale adaptation, and a Tubby the Tuba short film too, among others.

The compilation has an intro and outro featuring stop motion icon Gumby. A Tyrannosaurus Rex explains to Gumby that he's vegan because of George Pal movies, which really doesn't make sense. The movie ends with a ton of stop motion characters including King Kong and the Planters Peanut thanking George Pal. Basically, this movie is telling us that Pal had a huge influence on stop motion filmmaking.

I'm glad I got this LaserDisc and watched it. I may be interested in trying to find more Stop Motion related LaserDiscs. Any recommendations? I'm disappointed there isn't a LaserDisc of The Gumby Movie (1995)

Posted: 16 Nov 2023, 17:47 

Legion of Iron (1990) [59246]

Almost a year ago, I found this eBay store with a "going out of business" sale and lots of LaserDiscs for cheap, including a movie called Legion of Iron which I had never heard of before, but it's title and cover image really got my attention, so I bought it and watched it.

I watched it again recently and it's very entertaining. It's this obscure low budget action flick about how this woman named Diana is running this underground gladiator tournament out in the middle of nowhere, and her soldiers kidnap young men to be gladiators, and young women to be... prizes for the winners. The main character Billy and the gladiator trainer Lyle Wagner plot a revolt against Diana. There's sword fights, training montages, synth music, a shootout and a Mad Max-esque truck chase towards the end. It's lots of fun. More people should check it out, especially if you're into low budget movies.

Posted: 04 Dec 2023, 05:05 

Clan of the Cave Bear, The (1986) [6795-80]

I thought I'd rewatch The Clan of the Cave Bear today because it's Daryl Hannah's 63rd birthday.

I saw this movie for the first time at the age of 12 and it really stood out to me then because I wasn't allowed to watch gory or sexual stuff when I was a kid. Plus I always thought the ice age was an interesting time period, and compared to most other time periods, doesn't get too much representation in film.

This movie was emotional at times, it had great acting performances, I loved how the characters communicate with a combination of sign language and verbal sounds. And I love the facial expressions the characters make to convey their emotions. Plus Ayla is my favorite female lead. I love how she overcomes difficult situations by continuing to be herself and not submit to her tribe's ideas of what women can and can't do.

I found a video on YouTube of an interview with Hannah and she said that the filming location was so far away from any cities that the cast and crew had to be taken there via helicopter, and the weather was so chaotic that the helicopter pilot almost crashed into a mountain! Plus everyone was living in tents while they were working on the movie. According to the back of the LaserDisc package, the actors would even dive into freezing water before doing each scene to accustom themselves to the cold temperatures of the filming location. Man, the cast and crew did some WILD stuff; they practically risked their lives to get this movie made! That is serious dedication and effort. It's a shame so few people have seen this movie. It's very underappreciated.

This is one of my favorite movies and I highly recommend it!

Posted: 26 Dec 2023, 22:49 

Reading the novel currently.
Cannot reccomend the rest of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel, however love the first half of her first novel.
Really enjoyed the LD. Only viewed once a few years ago. Definitely will review again after reading the book and plan to do so directly.

Cheers to the membership.....

Yeah I think the CBS Fox LaserDiscs from the 1980s in general look and sound great! I've also got the CBS Fox LaserDisc of Predator and even the Japanese release of Ralph Bakshi's Wizards. I used to have the US Wizards LaserDisc but it got stuttery around the end of the end credits. I love how the CBS Fox LaserDisc packages have a paragraph on the back about the film's production. Their paragraph on The Clan of the Cave Bear's production especially fascinated me.

Posted: 30 Dec 2023, 22:02 

mrfe wrote:
For me it's Die Hard. I have a copy of 1666-80
With my buddies, we have a small tradition. Each year we take a selfie with Bruce in the aircon duct and the lighter :)

That was actually my first LaserDisc!
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 9 matches ]