It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 20:40

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 28 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 11 Nov 2023, 06:15 

Hello!

The LDDb awards triggered a wave of covers and I was busy with family/traveling for about a month.

So... one month worth of covers backlog is waiting for me!

Julien

Posted: 27 Nov 2023, 04:14 

Someone/something decided to bring the website down by constantly hitting from various IPs or creating a complete backup off all URLs (which is stupid).

That would be Alibaba Cloud (Singapore) Private Limited ...

Blocking the whole /12.

Last time I had to block ByteDance and AWS Singapore...

Julien

Posted: 07 Dec 2023, 03:48 

Found the 4 user-agents used by almost all hits:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0; SM-G900P Build/LRX21T) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/45.0.2223.1058 Mobile Safari/537.36
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 6.0; Nexus 5 Build/MRA58N) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/48.0.5064.1455 Mobile Safari/537.36
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 8.0; Pixel 2 Build/OPD3.170816.012) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/52.0.2733.1676 Mobile Safari/537.36
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 11_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.4917.1427 Mobile Safari/537.36

Right now, blocking 216,194 IPs , and more keep coming every second.

Julien

Posted: 16 Dec 2023, 23:16 

Liked your story re; DEmO MaN !
Too Cool to follow through and find out about laserdisc because of a movie reference !

Well your 100% accurate useless and expensive hobby ... fun though and incredibly exciting to treasure hunt into antiquity !

Big LDDB welcome ...

Cheers to the membership ....

P.S.

FYI - first post from a home PC in two years being untimely unhomed and then surviving the mortgage process to build a new home at the worst possible time in modern history ! Climbed the mountain, found enlightenment, and now chop wood and carry water...
FLYING TERRAPIN WILL BE OPEN 2024 later in the year if all goes as planned ......

Posted: 17 Dec 2023, 10:10 

Thanks for the interesting intro, my first ever player was also a CLD2950 purchased brand new back in 1995 and promoted by the dealer as the best player available in Europe! Was only a few weeks later they were selling the all new CLD-D925 its successor to the throne - never even mentioned at the time a replacement flagship model was imminent :thumbdown:

Welcome to the forum - hope you’re here for the long haul :thumbup:

Posted: 17 Dec 2023, 21:48 

Thanks for the story and welcome from New Zealand

Post subject: Happy new year 2024 !
Posted: 31 Dec 2023, 23:53 

Happy new year to everyone ! And thank you Julien for all your work on LDDB !

Posted: 02 Jan 2024, 17:14 

Oh man, I have to make another Christmas LD post...

The movie is One Magic Christmas. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089731/

The LD is One Magic Christmas (1985) [475 AS]

I can't remember seeing this before but I've owned it for a long time.

This movie is truly unique. I don't think it's a good Christmas movie, just to be clear. It's well made, the actors are pretty much all amazing, but the final product sucks. I think it's only for those people who used to watch all those Lifetime movies about having your daughter kidnaped or whatever. People who love to see other people in misery for some reason. Or maybe it's for fans of Saw. This movie has Santa Claus in it, the real one, but its Stroszek caliber bleak at times. The setting is very realistic. I live in Michigan and have all my life so I know what real snow looks like. Its not always falling in front of the moon to make Santa look great, sometimes its just grey crap laying around all over the place that makes it hard to get in and out of your house and car for months in a way that really wears on some people's psyche. This movie was shot in Ontario during winter so this is all very present and real. The actors look COLD, which I'm sure they were, and depressed. You can see their breath. The snow has frozen solid and has that shoe capturing "crunch" to it. The cars are all lame old Detroit stuff in not great shape covered in road filth because nobody here washes their car. Everyone is happy but has no reason to be. It portrays a midwestern dead-end factory down very well. Someone saw Silkwood (1983) [ID2913CC] and Santa Claus: The Movie (1985) [I5054] and thought, "I want to be exactly half way between those two!" Someone at Walt Disney Pictures loved the idea and here we go, a sort of New Hollywood Christmas movie.

Shelly Duvall must not have been available so Mary Steenburgen plays the responsible but humorless mother working doubles at K Mart. Her performance is as great as ever and she is clearly the lead in this Book of Job of a movie. Her husband has been laid off from the radio factory and the company wants their house back. The company is rudely (illegally, you'd think) touring new tenets through it as they are packing up. In ten days they will be on the street. Xmas is around the corner. What to do? Well, it could be worse. Your boss at K Mart could be an above average abusive jerk. Then your husband could be shot to death at the bank by someone robbing it. Then the robber could steal your decades old POS car with your kids in it. Then the robber could drive the car off a bridge killing himself and your two children. This all happens! Then Mary Steenburgen's character is shown wildly scrambling to the edge of the river where by this time even the bubbles have stopped. She falls to her knees in the snow, totally devastated. She's lost her entire family, her home, her job, her car, and is freezing in the snow crying with no coat. The performance is the definition of heavy, causing me to recall the tragic ending of Strada, La #29 (1954) [CC1129L] , such is its power.

SIDE CHANGE!

OK, SIDE B. What can we do in Side B? Well on Side B, Harry Dean Stanton's Christmas Angel character is hard at work, the kids are resurrected, daughter goes to the North Pole to see Santa, husband walks out of the light and is back to life and then its the day before Xmas again and she makes some changes to her life. So...she ends up preventing all the tragedy, sorta Groundhog Day style, but didn't need to because Santa and the angel fixed it all...sorta can't make up its mind. It will make you understand the Magic of Christmas but it will push you to the brink of a heroin addiction before it gets there. I'm personally annoyed by the way it has Christmas and angels and miracles but doesn't actually mention Jesus. I'm not saying this to thump a Bible on any level, it's something else. It's this weird western corporatized version of Christmas that no longer exists I guess but in the 80s defined what "normal OK Christmas stuff" would be. It's an emotional but ultimately Godless and hopeless vibe and this movie may personify it. "God is dead. Only Disney Magic can save you in the end."

Anyway, this movie is insane. It absolutely tortures its characters and then magically saves them at the end. I feel like burning it. Thumbs down, do not watch unless you are drunk and high and also watching https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_(1959_film). In that case JUST PLAY SIDE A.

VERDICT: For Canookistanian Holiday Chuckles with a tone of realness instead try Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmet_Otter%27s_Jug-Band_Christmas

Posted: 18 Jan 2024, 04:08 

Don't think MUSE LD span at that speed. :)

Posted: 21 Jan 2024, 16:20 

Oh no! An even more limited edition now then :thumbdown:

Posted: 21 Jan 2024, 17:28 

Sorry to see this broken disc.

This is just more of a reason to never buy into the sealed format situation.
They can be broken or even packaged improperly with wrong title inside said sleeve at the factory.

Posted: 22 Jan 2024, 17:11 

Hope this helps a little.

Years ago I had netflix and they were playing some Scifi German films, I can't remember anything else but they were from the late 70s and it was a known film production company that made a bunch of stuff.

I would try and find that film company from Germany and see if its one of their films.
Sorry don't have time to search it up right now.

Posted: 23 Jan 2024, 17:25 

Yeah…see…when you say an “old movie” I’m not thinking 1997 because film history is well over a century at this point.

Too new!

Posted: 23 Jan 2024, 22:34 

In the US we watched a lot of those kinds of movies on the USA Network’s “Up All Night”. I guess that sort of show was still going in 97 but I mostly associate it with the 80s and early 90s.

Posted: 25 Jan 2024, 01:12 

I recently got not one but EIGHT copies of a title called The Energy Series Solar Energy. What struck me was that it wasn't just an educational video meant for schools but that it's a dub with some minor visual edits of episode 60 of an anime titled Meme Iroiro Yume no Tabi ( The Many Dream Journeys of Meme )
Which has never had an English release of any kind as far as I know.

I've done a basic ElGato capture and have uploaded it to my YouTube channel which you can find the video here:

I'll do a Domesday rip when I get my modified player in.

Enjoy!

Posted: 26 Jan 2024, 06:33 

CRT simulation for films? That’s some goofy backwards retro knob polishing right there. I don’t want scan lines, fake or real, in a movie that was shot on film. I’m trying to reduce the issues with NTSC, not magnify them.

Does it also have a filter to simulate having a round faced tube and maybe a coil for that old school “shock” when you touch the screen?

Posted: 26 Jan 2024, 06:54 

signofzeta wrote:
Does it also have a filter to simulate having a round faced tube and maybe a coil for that old school “shock” when you touch the screen?

Where's the degauss button? ;-)

Julien

Posted: 27 Jan 2024, 20:16 

As far as movies are concerned, IMO the main draw of the RT4K is black frame insertion, which emulates the look of projected film. Not sure if that will make it worth its price for most people, though.

Posted: 29 Jan 2024, 11:03 

Posted: 29 Jan 2024, 17:06 

I only buy sealed discs when it’s the only option and if it’s a US seller I’ll ask him to open it first. The Risk is high enough as it is. If he won’t open it then I won’t buy it.

And yes, I have had this same issue. My US copy of Babe: Pig in the City was purchased unopened because it was the only one for sale at the time and it arrived cracked clean in two. I get JP discs sealed once in a while and if they are JP sellers I honestly don’t worry about it. Neglected discs are far more common in the US where this junk has been moved in a hurry from one place to another countless times over the decades by generations of hoarder scum.

Posted: 22 Feb 2024, 08:03 

That sounds very reasonable!

Will look into updating the template later this week.

Julien

Posted: 24 Feb 2024, 19:34 

Saw that Mike Chi, the creator of RetroTink has added, then overhauled the motion-adaptive deinterlacer. Now he’s tinkering with a 3D comb filter. The guy is no slouch when it comes to adding features and tweakability. Also, I suspect a certain overlap between some of us LD fans and fans of retrogaming.

Post subject: Re: Spam clean up today
Posted: 02 Mar 2024, 15:08 

That was only the beginning of the AI madness.

Since then I had to block:

• Googlebot (!)
  • Amazonbot
  • Alibaba USA

Julien

Posted: 03 Mar 2024, 18:14 

I've ordered a total of 6 laserdisc players from Ebay and they all came in the Mail perfectly fine. So I respectfully disagree. If people are packaging them properly there should no issues.

Post subject: Re: Laser Rot
Posted: 10 Apr 2024, 06:41 

It would be interesting to collect mint marks when reporting rot to see if any trend can be established.
Page 1 of 2 [ Search found 28 matches ]