It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 4 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 22 Feb 2024, 19:10 

As for your first question…there is no central database that contains this information. Only the word of mouth in PAL-land knows which LDs are natively PAL and which are NTSC conversions. You’ll have to check on a movie by movie basis. This also applies to the speed question. If you can play NTSC then focus on that. I’ve been an NTSC-only LD user for 30 years and never wanted a PAL release other than some CDVs that have now all rotted.

As for your second question: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down

Posted: 23 Feb 2024, 16:20 

peido wrote:
Thanks @signofzeta.

signofzeta wrote:

So I guess it's possible to recover all original frames :)

The resulting video lacks nothing but you won’t find every frame from a 24fps print present on an LD if you go frame by frame.

Posted: 23 Feb 2024, 18:05 

Nice to hear the format is still alive with new people getting into it.

Posted: 24 Feb 2024, 06:15 

Something to bear in mind re: 3:2 pulldown is that interlaced video only has "frames" if you're stepping through frame by frame, or if you're plugging the player into a progressive TV that has to deinterlace the video into frames. Interlaced video shows one field at a time (every other line of a frame), not one frame at a time. On an interlaced TV in ordinary playback, the "blended frame" isn't visually different than the other frames. The transition between two non-blended frames has the same interlaced look as when the blended frame is on screen.

If you have a modern TV, it probably has a mode for inverse telecine (converting 3:2 pulldown back to 24 fps, i.e. "recovering" the frames (I wouldn't use the word "recovering" because they were never missing to begin with)). In my opinion, though, it's best to just watch laserdiscs/tapes/etc. on a tube television if you can. Deinterlacing hiccups are more noticeable and bothersome to me than 3:2 pulldown judder.
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 4 matches ]