It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 00:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 11 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 22 Apr 2016, 10:49 

Spotted several CEDs in a charity shop in Hammersmith, London, today. All are PAL and priced at £5, mostly music. No interest to me, since I don't own a player, but I thought I'd pass the info on. No idea if the disks are still good, I'm afraid, but they look clean and undamaged.

Happy Feelins' in New Orleans
Olivia Newton John - Physical
John Mitchell - Shadow and Light (sealed)
Koyaanisqatsi
On Golden Pond
The Prince's Trust Rock Gala

The shop is the Trinity Hospice charity shop in King Street, Hammersmith.

Incidentally, the Wikipedia entry for Koyaanisqatsi says it went straight to DVD with no other home media release, and it doesn't appear to be in the database.

Posted: 01 May 2016, 17:48 

I was in there yesterday, they've sold a couple of them including Koyaanisqatsi - sorry, I was in a hurry so unable to take notes on what was left

Posted: 12 Oct 2017, 01:53 

The good news is that if the upscaling isn’t good, it’s an Onkyo so it will probably lose a channel or have its fan die or something in like a year and a half and you can buy something better. :)

Posted: 26 Nov 2017, 10:14 

And finally, look at the detail on the door again as Maurice enters the castle. The door is virtually black on the frame output by the Onkyo.

IMG_0713.JPG

My Sony TV has multiple different picture settings, including Dot Reduction. I tried a live action movie and the Dot Reduction setting cleaned up the picture quite a bit. I did not have a lot of time to spend dialing this in tonight but based on what I have seen so far, I plan to bypass the video processing on the Onkyo and feed the composite signal from the player straight in to the TV and let the TV do filtering work.

I was honeslty surprised (and a bit disappointed, frankly) at how bad the picture coming out of the Onkyo was. It was my belief the SR707 had a very good 3D filter. I guess that may have been true back in 2008 when I bought it, but clearly the filter in the XBR 850B is far superior.

YMMV with other receivers or sets.

Posted: 12 Mar 2021, 11:42 

It's not the end of the world. Great that it comes with the original box, mine was just the unit, the remote control and the power lead. Same with the VP50 Pro (that came with rack mounts too).

I don't think you'll see a leaps and bounds oh wow shazzam woahnelly difference in performance. Yet the subtleties are certainly there, especially with the comb filter the Edge has on board. I ran my CLD-D925 with both DVDO devices for a while and it was great, can't really fault it. The big night and day in Laserdiscs came recently for me when I imported a CLD-R7G.

Every time I spin a disc in the R7G and switch on the DEXT mode thing it makes me smile. I have it running over S Video up to the DVDO Edge. The combination of the two is superb. I didn't really believe the talk about it on the LDDB forums until I actually saw it for myself. Keep in mind though it also depends on how well mastered the disc you are playing is. Good audio, good picture and good kit and you'll wonder at certain times if you are watching something on par, or better than DVD (minus the horrid digital mosaicing).

Forget all of that for now else you'll end up down a rabbit hole. Enjoy watching your discs and enjoy your new DVDO Edge! :thumbup:

Posted: 12 Mar 2021, 16:39 

If you are looking for a recommendation there is a player currently on eBay UK which will deliver close to the best ntsc performance you can get; it’s a fully serviced Mackintosh MLD-7020 and when I last looked it’s at a bargain price for player of this calibre and in this condition, you wouldn’t believe you were watching the same discs when played on one of these!
That does look rather nice but it's a bit outside my budget. My wife won't be too pleased if I pick up another player. She can't understand why I've bought the first one!

Posted: 01 Feb 2023, 04:30 

He/She showed it on. I hope I have no issues for the testing working laserdisc player.

Best is to find local sellers that you can visit, test the player with discs (LD, CD) you might bring, etc.
Then you just pay and bring it home.

Avoiding shipping is always a good idea for fragile hardware.

Julien

Posted: 26 Feb 2023, 16:09 

19 years ago I had some VHS tapes. "Rock Video Monthly" that I copied to DVD. I used the 1 hour mode on a Panasonic DMR-E80HS to get CD like audio on the discs. I play them back, and the image looks better than the original tapes...

Post subject: FBI WARNING
Posted: 01 Mar 2023, 00:05 

I bought a Surfing Movie on DVD. Ignored the FBI Warning at the beginning at first, but noticed it was funny. The movie is called "Five Summer Stories", shot in 1970...

Post subject: Re: FBI WARNING
Posted: 24 Mar 2023, 19:22 

Thats funny….I worked in Hollywood ..40,yrs…Remember Aaron Spelling..love boat etc?…he was busted with 17 pirate (Directv)boxes at his BH mansion..at that time(mid 90s) ,I worked at Warner Bros,,.half the lot had. pirated cards…actors…producers…directors etc,.etc…a guy in facilities hit the cards and a security guard delivered…....theyre stoned../cold…Hypocrites…the lot of em”…

Post subject: Re: Twin Peaks (2017)
Posted: 21 Aug 2023, 03:22 

And now.... play the (fan-made) game!

=> https://blueroseteam.itch.io/twin-peaks-into-the-night

In all its PS1 graphics style glory.

Julien
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 11 matches ]