It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 17 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Posted: 26 Jan 2023, 21:14 

Just a suggestion, how about trying some surface mount spray? 3M do a decent one.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/cbgnhw011018/

Posted: 26 Jan 2023, 22:10 

I was thinking if labels came off maybe grip ring couldn't hold the disc in place and the disc would spin all the time?
To avoid touching center labels I should put fingers in center hole to remove disc from jacket or use soft cotton gloves not to leave grease or fingerprints on the disc?

Dude, calm down. It’s just a movie, not a friggn Gutenberg Bible. You can put as many fingerprints as you want on the disc and it will play fine. Your precious bodily fluids won’t make the disc rot or the label fall off.

You should always hold the disc by the edge or the hole or both. That’s common knowledge. “Don’t touch the information” is the axiom for all media discs.

Labels sometimes come off. It’s extremely rare though, I’d say more rare than rot. They play fine without a sticker though. Please never think of this again.

Posted: 13 Jun 2023, 21:25 

So I had one of these box sets years ago and sold it off for a move, recently I found the other box and wanted to watch the series again.

Seems that both have the same episodes and also part II.

Yokai ningen bem: Special Collection [MSL-10001]

Yokai Ningen Bem (1968) [BBLA-9017]

Some info on the part II that I found, this was not available when I posted the first box and the second box has the same episodes.

From MAL:
Youkai Ningen Bem: Part II
For 1982 a 26-episode TV series sequel to Youkai Ningen Bem was planned. Because the original producers disbanded, the animation was done by Topcraft. 2 episodes were created and the project shut down without airing on television. The episodes were released to the public on a LD-Box Set a decade later. 2,000 units were printed and all were sold out.

Posted: 18 Dec 2023, 08:13 

I put on Urusei Yatsura Beautiful Dreamer. The last pressing of the 4:3 master on Laserdisc. The transfer is not that good. You know some of the late issue laserdiscs look as good as DVD sometimes this one looks like an obvious old tape source. I'm glad to have it don't get me wrong because i don't have the Japanese VHS. Audio is mono and not good at all full of hiss.

Somehow the Letterbox LD, 16:9 anamorphic DVD and Blu-ray from Japan all came from a remastered source. If the film was composed at 4:3 why hasn't TOHO remastered it?

Posted: 26 Mar 2024, 21:42 

Last month or so I got my last Right Stuf release, Gundam-san. It says Right Stuf on it but is some super basic packaging with very little hype text.

IMO the real test will be when/if Hathway 2 comes out. Will Crunchyroll give you JP LEs at a good price with preorder tidbits like Right Stuff? If so then I guess I’m fine.

I did a lot of anime cons in Iowa in the 90s and the Right Stuf guy sponsored the Street Fighter tournaments we ran and such as it was a local operation at the time. I miss those day but…oh well.

Global announcement   Jump to topic

Posted:  

Posted: 07 Apr 2024, 19:51 

I saw a copy of this on Ebay:

Now That's What I Call Music Video: vol.01 (1983) [MP139-15VN]

I already had a rotted copy, bad enough to affect the audio tracks.

Rotted Mint Marks: MP139-A01 1A150227

Playback Perfect Mint Marks: MP139-A01 1A151414

The seller told me it played back okay, so I bought it. No rot or dropouts...

Posted: 17 Apr 2024, 06:44 

A 5 part chemistry lesson in 9th grade science class, circa 2000.

Posted: 18 Apr 2024, 22:54 

I never liked DVD either, but transferring them to VHS is a bit too hardcore for me.
I'd just rip them to harddisk most likely.

Posted: 18 Apr 2024, 23:35 

My eye doctor prescribed me with glasses a few years ago but I am not wearing them because I prefer to see softer and more analog world.

Posted: 19 Apr 2024, 09:45 

Hell yeah... these forced "Government warning" stuff and not beeing able to skip trailers (depending on the disc) was a pain in the...
I remember doing the same as you did with ripping all that stuff off my "backup copies". :roll:

That is actually one of the things I love most about LD.
Change the language? Click!
Oh I want to see that again? Click or turn!

:relaxed:

Posted: 19 Apr 2024, 10:04 

You could technically make arguably lossless copies on D-VHS tapes. Frankly, ripping them and using Plex or similar is probably the most efficient and least expensive. If you are watching them on a 19” CRT TV, I guess VHS will do fine like you said.

Posted: 19 Apr 2024, 15:04 

I Made an S-VHS Recording of an Anime on DVD once... but mostly only for the sheer novelty of it... and to see how well S-VHS home recording could perform; drawing off a high-quality source;

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ll310/shaorin-chan/HR_S8000U_1_7_15_Suzumiya_MAXELL_SQ_S_VHS_1(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ll310/shaorin-chan/HR_S8000U_1_7_15_Suzumiya_MAXELL_SQ_S_VHS_2(1).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ll310/shaorin-chan/FUJI_PRO-S_ST-120_TDohS_12-25-22_(1).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ll310/shaorin-chan/HR_S8000U_JOHN_5_4_11_RESIZE_20.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Post subject: Re: Concert LDs...
Posted: 19 Apr 2024, 23:57 

Here's Two more...

RR has footage of the Sex Pistols with Glen Matlock. Some of the footage was used in this:

The Great Rock and Roll Swindle

Rock Revolution (1984) [TE-D090]

CBGB's Blitzkrieg Bop [COLY-3186]

CBGBsBB is a color kinescope...

Posted: 20 Apr 2024, 11:12 

Some of the early DVD menus were amazing. I was blown away when I first saw the menus on the Alien Legacy box set and the Abyss.

Correct. Some DVD menus are almost like a piece of art. You can see that
they really put a lot of effort into creating those.

And I’m sooooo glad it’s a lost art form. I don’t need starting a movie to take longer. Depending on the disc and the player you can waste over five minutes trying to start a film…which is longer than it takes to start a movie in any other previously invented format. Even threading a projector is faster than starting any Disney DVD.

“The customer’s time does not matter so consider it ours.” was the attitude, which I find deeply offensive. Also, threatening children with the FBI and lengthy prison sentences every time they watch a movie is just so screwed up. It’s the first thing they see every time they put in any Disney DVD. The word “PRISON”. And you can’t skip it. Not even the 1000th time you watch the movie. Satanic. Do you know who NEVER sees that warning? Pirates. Only people who pay get threatened with prison. The version downloaded via BT has had all that crap removed.

Customers, deeply ignorant as usual, excuse this because they think the movie is “loading” when you can’t skip stuff. In reality the DVD’s author has decided to deliberately make those things unskipable. Pointless delays are a FEATURE of the DVD format. Anyone who has authored one knows this.

While Forper does inspire conversation, which this forum badly needs, all the conversation he inspires is stupid. He should be banned for the 8th time and also Tasuke should lose his image posting privileges until he shoots some new stuff. He’s put the same pictures of stretched anime, sagging speaker cables and in super large format in so many threads that all you can do is say, “Thank God it wasn’t another series on creepy naked dolls.”

Posted: 22 Apr 2024, 21:17 

Pioneer Super Ever Green Laserdisc (1997) [LPR-266] LD #64k :thumbup:

Post subject: Subtitle entry request
Posted: 26 Apr 2024, 17:52 

Hi. I'd like to request a change to the site. Right now, when you enter the subtitles for a disc, the Chinese entries are mostly incorrect. Backing up slightly, there are several dialects and written forms. The most common spoken dialects are Mandarin (mainland China and most other countries where Chinese is spoken, including Taiwan) and Cantonese (primarily Hong Kong and Macau). These are separate from the written forms of Chinese. The two most common forms are Simplified and Traditional Chinese, where once again, it's primarily a split between most of the world (Simplified) and HK/MA/TW (Traditional). It's all a bit more nuanced than that, but for the purposes of this site, it's close enough.

Anyway, under "Subtitles," the entries aren't quite right. They list Cantonese, Mandarin, and English/Chinese. I don't really mind English/Chinese. However, I'd really appreciate it if the other two could be replaced. If a database needs to be updated, I would, if possible, replace all removed entries based on the country. I seriously doubt there are any Taiwanese releases with Simplified Chinese subs. ;)

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [ Search found 17 matches ]