It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Search found 217 matches

Jump to forum   Jump to topic

Post subject: Re: DVL-700 auto flip
Posted: 23 Oct 2022, 01:11 

The DVL-90 and DVL-700 have the same type grip ring as in the CLD-D704 and related models. Go here
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 7&_sacat=0
and buy a VEB1237 and it will fit on your DVL-700.

Posted: 24 Oct 2022, 03:59 

Sounds like classic grip ring slipping.

Posted: 24 Oct 2022, 04:12 

I was thinking grip ring as well but wanted to get reply first to confirm the squeal sound.

While on the topic, what’s your opinion of a slightly weaker magnet on the clamper causing similar issues on an Alpha Turn model? I’m still having sporadic issue of my ProScan PSLD43 occasionally not engaging Side B because it appears to not be able to spin up fast enough after braking to read the leader.

I think the combination of the grip ring which ages loosing any ripping capability along with the newer clamp method causes the issue. For example the DVL-700 and DVL-909 have the same clamping design but the 909 uses the same white painted surface on the spindle motor as the CLD-D504/604/505/605/406/606/59 and does not have the slipping issue where the 700 uses the dark stick on rubber pad and has the slipping issue.

Posted: 24 Oct 2022, 04:52 

There is a switch on the front right of the upper metal base that is closed when the laser is at the start position for side B. Your switch is not working or the electronics that sense the switch position has failed. When failing the pickup assembly just keeps moving toward the spindle motor and you’re hearing the gear teeth jump on the track and the pickup is physically being stopped traveling too far. When the switch is properly read the pickup movement stops at the inner read point.

Post subject: Re: [DVL-909] Side A issues
Posted: 05 Nov 2022, 05:42 

Not a belt issue. Could be side A centering or the tangential angle adjustment. I would try cleaning the lens first. If it still doesn’t play side A put in a CD and if it doesn’t play see if the spindle motor centering needs adjustment. If you have to adjust side A then you need to readjust side B. Tangential angle would be my last item to look at.

Posted: 06 Dec 2022, 02:08 

I don't know if this is one of these, but early on they made LD music video 8" discs and probably other 8" LD's from what I remember. They were single sided and there were issues. Manufactures started putting a White colored spacer or a side stating video in other side for side B to make the same thickness as LD's. I cannot remember if this was a playback issue but I believe it was a clamping issue.

Side B centering adjusting has nothing to do with Side A centering, they are independent. If this is an old disc it could be laser rot. This is not a loading belt issue.

Posted: 22 Dec 2022, 23:33 

I have worked on R7G's with the gray colored problem MHolder. I have had to replace these. The CLD-R7G is one of the service manuals I don't have.

ALL DVL-XXX machines I have seen had better MHolders, and the service manual has the newer part number.

Posted: 27 Dec 2022, 01:56 

For the LX-900 Panasonic remember when it was developed we all used CRT’s which were set to a minimum 5% overscan and usually much more so the 5% on the Panasonic was not such a problem. Now people use flat panels and care. You cannot expect all old technology to be perfect on new technology. Think of the head switching line issues at the bottom of the screen with tape. Designed to be viewed on a CRT.

The DVL-700 and other DVL players are equal to the CLD-D604, high midline quality. Only exception is the S-Video output only on the DVL-91 was equalized for a sharper picture.

Posted: 27 Dec 2022, 02:16 

The laserdisc smear really shows you the quality of the power supply in you tv or scaler. With my Pioneer Elite plasma it is very minimal when properly calibrated. It can also be enhanced by your black level set higher than NTSC specifications. Yes the Panasonic and Pioneer HLD-X9 don’t have it but it you really look there is an enhanced black verses the smear.

Everything with video is personal preferences so just get what you like and enjoy it. It’s fine someone prefers something else.

Posted: 28 Dec 2022, 05:06 

The laserdisc smear really shows you the quality of the power supply in you tv or scaler.

I had no idea regarding this and that is great information. I assume you mean switching power supplies found in most newer devices is what you are referring to?

Power supplies have performance based on the designed, how fast the signal can transition full white to black depends on the quality of the supply along with a proper power distribution. It is not that it is a switching power supply, it is that not all are equal. You can have an average switching supply and the tv will work and give a nice picture. High end products have extensive power and distribution designs and while the better performance may not always be noticeable it is these times it comes out. The question is do you want to spend thousands more for this improvement. The market is get cost down so you get the simpler design allowing low cost. There are still quality TV’s but you won’t find them in the discount racks. I don’t know which ones are better as I still use a Pioneer Elite Plasma.

Posted: 29 Dec 2022, 01:20 

I totally agree with what substance quotes. I should point out that I’m only discussing how TV’s reproduce the amount of smear in the Pioneer players. Discussing the actual player, I tried some initial searching into the cause of the smear and I determined it was internal to the IC’s that Pioneer used. Wondering if the IC’s building had slower than ideal settling times or too much parasitic capacitance.

I wonder if Pioneer used professional monitors or theirs with better quality switching supplies to approve the design or it was an economics decision.

Hope you can find something. I did not try buffering out the raw analog signal before digitization, I only viewed it on an oscilloscope.

Posted: 06 Jan 2023, 06:35 

The CLD-53 is the Elite version of the CLD-D503 and yes it has the grip ring issue as mentioned. No MHolder is this model.

Post subject: Re: EAD power board
Posted: 24 Jan 2023, 05:32 

The small hidden 1uf capacitor on the left primary side is the startup capacitor for the power supply, when that goes bad the supply will not turn on. It could be going bad. The secondary sides of these boards are the same, the primary is different to accommodate 120VAC verses 240VAC. These do not have ARC suppressors so that is not the issue. In the middle of the boards the 2 each 2200uf caps are for +/-14V outputs, the 3300uf cap is for +5V and the 1000uf cap is -5V outputs

Posted: 08 Feb 2023, 07:25 

The 3080 and 95 have multi-bit DAC's where Stephen Sank and I prefer the warmer sound from multi-bit DAC's, you do need an audiophile sound system to notice this. Also this is from the RCA outputs. Newer players except for the HLD-X0 and X9 have bit-stream DAC's. Now non of this doesn't have anything to do the optical output. The 3080 and 95 don't have any re-clocking as in high end optical/digital outputs but the 2080 and 95 do have separate power supplies just for the audio section with lower noise levels so the Optical out could be stabler. All the other players you mentioned have one common power supply for the entire unit. The CLD-97, HLD-X9, HLD-X0, HLD-1000, and LD-S2 are examples of other players with separate power supplies for video verses digital sections.

Now many prefer the newer units so if you like the older players that is your preference, others don't feel that way. If you like it just enjoy it.

Don't get caught up in what sounds and looks best. I personally am on your side but again that is just my preference, it is not an absolute.

Posted: 12 Feb 2023, 06:17 

Turn your brightness and contrast down.
Yes this is an LD issue, you will have it on your 900 and other players too.
This 3080 should have less when your TV is calibrated properly but its normal, welcome to LD.

Well said, Philips came up with the concept around the 1960's. Enjoy what you have and stop looking for defects.

Posted: 12 Feb 2023, 06:24 

This is an older model, no arc suppressor. Try replacing C108, the small 1uf capacitor on the primary side of the power supply. Make sure sure check the part to see the voltage rating of the capacitor.

Posted: 02 Mar 2023, 05:40 

Everyone has an opinion and they all not all the same, just find the one you like and enjoy it. Getting into what looks best is judgemental to what each person likes.

Post subject: Re: Cleaning a CLD-959
Posted: 28 Apr 2023, 05:34 

For your first picture there originally was a foam pad in the cavity and what you see is what is left after it was removed or was removed. What you are showing looks fine. I'd just plug it in and see if it works.

Posted: 07 May 2023, 03:50 

When the drawer closes the laser moves to the 1st position or LD reading position and has the video circuitry for spindle motor control turned on. If you have a CD installed it does not detect a disc inserted at the first position so it moves to the 2nd position or CD reading position and switches to the CD circuitry to control the motor.

You have to think of this as two different players using a common laser and spindle motor but processing the data for these separately. If the video section is having issues it can act like no disc is installed when an LD is inserted, the 1st position could not properly process the LD sensing reflection and the second position will not get a reflection as it is sensing the label. Where if the CD section is working once the laser moves to the CD position or 2nd position the CD circuitry takes over and it will play.

Posted: 24 Jul 2023, 02:39 

People here probably know that I prefer Laserdisc only players as there are less parts to go bad.

If you are never going to play DVD's then I'd get rid of those. The DVL-90 will develop grip ring issues like the CLD-D704 and CLD-99 players the DVL-909 will not have grip ring issues, and I'd had some to repair where the DVD pickup has issues that that prevents a good CD/LD section from working. You could probably get more for the DVL-90 as it is an Elite machine. Also if side B playback works smoothly in the first 2 minutes without skipping or jumping back then that is a plus.

The Sony's with the exception of the 850 all have issues and the ones I've seen (I have not seen the 750) had a grainy picture. They require a special test jig to calibrate and I don't know anyone who has one. You won't be able to get this serviced in the future

The Panasonic will need the AC-3 modification but these are harder to service than the Pioneers. Panasonic did make some good machines but less flexible to performing alignments.

The CLD-59 and CLD-D505 are decent players but for longevity they need the improved motor holder as the original gray colored one will age and break. The CLD-59 will give you better options.

You can keep one of the DVL players and remove the Mholder from the DVD laser and put it in the CLD-59 or CLD-D505 as that is the improved MHolder. Then keep the CD/LD laser as that is the same one that is used in the CLD-59 and CLD-D505 (just need to transfer the front plastic added piece on the laser body).

I've seen all of these go bad so I'd just stick with Pioneer as there are more of these out there so finding good used parts has a higher percentage of success. I'd keep a DVl player just for the improved Mholder and then decide if you keep the 59 or the 59 and the 505.

Posted: 01 Aug 2023, 00:21 

OK, it's either something in the electronics or a connector as mentioned before.

Posted: 12 Aug 2023, 00:37 

The top one is the US power supply and the bottom is the European power supply. US uses 120V and Europe uses 240V. Outputs are the same. The European may have jumpers to make it work for 120V, cannot really see the connector by the two large caps at the input but that is where the European unit could have the selector connections for 120 or 240..

Posted: 24 Aug 2023, 05:33 

Yes, since AC-3 is encoded in the analog channel all LD players can be modified.

Posted: 09 Sep 2023, 01:50 

If you are an audiophile the added digital outputs are re-clocked with a more precise oscillator and driven with connection types audiophiles prefer and there is less ringing and jitter resulting in improved detail and depth when using right/left only speakers. You have to have the system to hear this. EAD used the laserdisc player as a CD transport as the larger spindle motor has more mass and has a better stabilized rotation speed.

If you what a unit for laserdisc playback then the EAD is overkill. The only updates are for the digital outputs, otherwise the video section is a CLD-97 with no improvements.

Post subject: Re: [CLD-737] Power Issue
Posted: 17 Sep 2023, 00:31 

Use the service manual and take a multi meter and measure the output voltages from the power supply. The good one will go up to proper value until unit powers down, the bad one will never reach desired voltage. Then you have to determine if the issue is the power supply or the boards that power output goes to. Isolate the power bad from the supply output and then see what happens. Could be easy, could be a nightmare.
Page 8 of 9 [ Search found 217 matches ]