It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:18

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The unbridled joy of Jeff and Brexit
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 13:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Leaving any political thoughts well out of this topic, just thought to give a heads up to anyone in the EU who wants to buy stuff from Jeff in the UK in his ongoing quest to become a trillionaire.

So sure enough everything now says import deposits etc at checkout. However, there's a small bit of a boon to be had. Your results may vary so consult the customs, tax and duty laws for where you live first.

Here in Ireland, at least until July 1st 2021, the tax free import threshold is €22. Anything over that and you pay 23% VAT and extra fees on top.

Anyway, so, Jeff is collecting tax in Ireland (not paying any to the Irish Government of course, that would be crazy) at the checkout. Thus avoiding complications for customers and the red tape and so on. However Jeff is also removing UK VAT at checkout on everything, then doing his calculations etc etc. Stuff works out more or less the same as UK VAT is 20% and Ireland is presently 21% (13% and less on some stuff) due to the pandemic and to try and stimulate the economy.

All this means your stuff arrives without getting your collar felt by the tax rozzers and so on.

Here's the fun part though. Anything under €22 in your basket will not only have the UK VAT removed, but none extra will be applied! Basically meaning for film buffs, in the example here, you are able to buy your DVD's and Blu Ray's VAT FREE and with FREE DELIVERY (if you subscribe to Jeff's delivery subscription service).

As a test I bought Road Games Limited Edition this morning. UK price £18.99. And the Ireland price? £15.82 delivered!

This only applies to products sold and supplied by Jeff and not third parties. Again, check your local laws for different thresholds and legal stuff etc.

Happy Duty Free physical media and everything under €22 shopping until July (in Ireland) and until whenever if you live elsewhere in the EU.

Sincerely yours,

Keith Barron.

Last edited by teddanson on 02 Jan 2021, 01:19, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Blog: The Coterie / L'boxd: Diary
Pioneer CLD-R7G, CLD-D925 | Yamaha APD-2 | DVDO Edge, VP50 Pro

Post subject: Re: The unbridled joy of Jeff and Brexit
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 14:04 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Have fun trying to get boutique label releases for under €22 though.

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 14:28 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

takeshi666 wrote:
Have fun trying to get boutique label releases for under €22 though.

There's a couple knocking around at the minute on Jeff's site discounted. Arrow, 101, Indicator, 88. Loads, just not so many box sets. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 17:08 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I appreciate this kind of info.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2021, 22:05 
True fan
True fan

I just ask the seller to write down value of 10 EUR on an envelope / package and the taxman can sod off.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 00:19 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Great idea, Bono.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 14:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

therussian wrote:
I just ask the seller to write down value of 10 EUR on an envelope / package and the taxman can sod off.

Yeh but some sellers are not happy to do that.... lost sale time!

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2021, 19:57 
True fan
True fan

If some sellers are not happy to do this they simply can bugger off.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 09:45 
Site Admin
Site Admin

therussian wrote:
If some sellers are not happy to do this they simply can bugger off.

The declared and insured value being often linked now, if it arrived damages or gets lost then you can't claim more than the value you asked for. You have no base for complaining. But if you claim back to eBay or Paypal, they will make the seller refund the whole amount, while raising issues about lying on the value.

I would side with the sellers here.

Julien

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 15:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Also you need a receipt to show value, if I sent this to you as a gift then its lost you or I can't open a case since it was lied about.

It was sold to you and not sent as a gift.

If you request this from a seller and you don't get it this is tough tittys for you, you can't open or make a claim as its lied about and no receipt can be
shown.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 15:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

You need to be careful with declared values as you can get caught with your pants down. When I got my APD-2 customs pulled it based on the declared value. I put the final auction price on the customs sheet (the genuine price) but they didn't believe the price I bought it for.

They decided to look up the original RRP on the Yamaha website and bill me that. I was able to show through card transactions and some explaining what I actually paid for it so it was rectified in the end.

Now when I win an auction or make a purchase from Japan or anywhere outside the EU I take a screenshot, print a pdf of a page etc for proof.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 16:04 
True fan
True fan

Not as a gift. Just a different amount.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2021, 16:53 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

therussian wrote:
Not as a gift. Just a different amount.

But you are still not getting it.

If I sell you something for 50 bucks and you want 10 value and it gets lost you eat that loss not me.

I can't insure the package for 50 but say item inside is only worth 10.

When its lost you both lose or you eat the loss not the seller since you asked for fraud you are taking the responsibility.

You can't go to the post office and lie and say that oops I made a mistake, that wasn't 10 bucks it was a thousand and its lost now
can you refund me post office :lol:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 14:59 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like Brexit just started to kick in...

Examples since January 1st:

1/ Sold a CD set to UK for $50 incl. shipping via Discogs.com
=> Discogs didn't pre-charge the 20% VAT
=> Arrived in 10 days (Airmail), no import tax

2/ Sold a LD set to UK for $300 + $37 EMS upgrade via eBay.com
=> eBay didn't pre-charge the 20% VAT
=> Still stuck at customs after 2 weeks, 20% VAT to be paid first by the buyer

3/ Sold a LD set to UK for $115 incl. shipping via eBay.com
=> eBay this time DID pre-charge the 20% VAT (+ Paypal fees on them making the Paypal fees a net 4.49%+$0.30
=> Now it will be an interesting exercise to reach customs, probably trigger another 20% VAT tax that will have to be waived by providing the eBay invoice from the buyer's side?

Now I'm confused because per eBay rules, I'm a non-EU/UK seller and I'm not listing on eBay.co.uk (they charge extra for that) but only on eBay.com.
So by their rule "the VAT rate will usually be 0%" which was not the case.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/listings/default/vat-obligations-eu?id=4650#:~:text=The%20UK%20VAT%20rate%20is,for%20collecting%20VAT%20on%20imports.&text=eBay%20will%20collect%20and%20remit,consignments%20up%20to%20%C2%A315.

I believe Amazon will start pre-charging the VAT as well when you sell and ship to UK -- if they haven't done that yet:

https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/forums/t/vat-changes-on-sales-to-uk-customers/372158

We're going to a world where almost anything entering UK will get a 20% slap.

It looks like it started to become quite complicated/expensive for UK companies to export as well.
They seem to be told to setup a distribution center in EU to avoid taxes... Neat.

UK firms told 'set up in EU to avoid trade disruption'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55786974

Another new step from January 1st in Japan:

All shipments should (and for some countries MUST) be registered online and printed ahead.

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/ead/index_en.html

They removed the EMS shipping slips that you were supposed to write on from all Post Offices.

Fun fact: now the post office has no control on the shipment options/tracking/etc.
If you make a mistake (and the English version of the website has many confusing or contradicting explanations, or lets you chose options that are not available, or declare insurance values that are not available, etc.) they can't edit/amend/fix/cancel. You must do it again from scratch.

On my first attempt, I had to go back home 3 times to re-edit, re-print, make a prayer and try again.
Took me 2 hours.

Julien

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 15:52 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

As you say the fun is only just beginning and undoubtedly the pandemic is currently masking even worst things yet to come. Being a staunch remainer and despite my heartbreak at leaving the union I will at least get some satisfaction when I hear the pitiful wailing and whining of those who stupidly voted for this unnecessary nonsense, no doubt bleating out their usual predicable anti-Brussels diatribe! Heck I'm so ashamed to say I'm British these days :thumbdown:

I wonder how long before we are pleading to be allowed back in?

(My apologies, end of rant!)
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 16:07 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserfanhld-gb wrote:
I wonder how long before we are pleading to be allowed back in?

Jokes aside, the story I've heard since I was kid was that UK preferential treatment and attitude in the EU would eventually lead to UK leaving the union.

Then there's 2 completely opposite options:

Become a tax heaven where the rich prosper and the poor suffer. Whenever the GBP gets weak... devaluate like in 1967.
or
Join back the EU later... but at the normal conditions: no more British pound, special quotas, veto power, etc. Must requalify from 0 like any new candidate.

History will tell us soon which path will be taken in the coming years.

Note that I'm not anti-UK (I'm actually in the process in investing there for the long term!) but I was in London back in Xmas 2018 and watching/reading the news there for about a week. It was quite eye-opening that Brexit would happen. While on the EU side, the discussions were about what kind of agreement could work, what "soft Brexit" could be the best for everyone, etc. The tone in London at that time was something like "We are the British Empire, nobody tells us what to do". It seemed very much to be a deaf negotiation from the beginning.

Meanwhile EU had to walk a very narrow path: 1/ be too soft with Brexit and tomorrow you have 5 other countries lining up to leave or 2/ be too hard and you send the signal that EU is "Hotel California". You can check in any time you want, but you can never leave.

We are now in uncharted territory.

Julien

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 17:30 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There will never again be such an open ended referendum. They essentially asked a bunch of children if they wanted to be “free” and of course they all said yes, clearly unaware or ungrateful for the enormous freedoms they already enjoy. Now it’s 2021 and actual non-imaginary problems are taking place and everyone has to pay %20 more for everything.

This is why you get grownups to run things. Trust expertise. Always ask qualifying questions. “For who?” “By who?” “Says who?” If you can’t get straight answers to these basic questions then turn your back to this fools. Big talkers with massive power/influence and zero actual expertise on anything will kill us all if we stupidly let them.

Living in the US...the parallels are so numerous they don’t need to be mentioned.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 17:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Well it seems you have the ability to read my mind Julien, as virtually everything I just read in your posting are very close to what comprise my not infrequent home brexit related rantings that my long suffering family have to endure!

I'll keep it short as I'm sure people on here probably think I'm beginning to sound like a broken record now but it certainly doesn't help when nasty tabloids owned by a certain Murdoch News Corporation Group emblazon headlines similar to "We Are Britain & We Are Special"! they didn't exactly go on to say what makes us any more special or different to the other 27 member states though! I find it really sad that a cheap tabloid can get away with preaching such nonsense to its predictable readership who for the most part don't even fully grasp that the EU isn't actually a country at all but an organisation that looks after 27 (formerly 28) member states, it seems you sadly had a taste of this type of thing during your London stay. What really upsets me is that it was only 17.5% of the whole UK populace that voted for brexit in a referendum that was really staged by former PM Cameron to test public opinion then seemingly all of sudden became the official leave order? I remember Macron being interviewed a few months afterwards on a BBC politics programme saying how badly Cameron had judged things by doing this as he was certain that had he allowed the same thing in France to take place he would have almost certainly been looking at a similar frexit situation?

Finally, and probably long before we can become completely unraveled from all EU laws, rules etc. I'm convinced that this country will be back onboard one of Eurostars TGVs from London and knocking on the EUs door in Brussels and yes definitely it will be accept the single currency, Schengen et al this time, I truly hope it'll happen during my time!

Last edited by laserfanhld-gb on 25 Jan 2021, 18:46, edited 2 times in total. _________________
Pioneer HLD-X9/CLD-925/CLD-2950
OPPO BDP-105D EU
ARCAM AVR-600
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 17:58 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m pretty sure he expected the referendum to fail and prove his point. When it passed it proved he was clueless so he bugged out. In a way I wish American politicians knew how to resign...but then you still need someone to do the actual work...

Reading about it over here, it seems like after that it was a very very very slow walk to no-deal. There was no deal possible. When looking at their issues...there was no solution. None. So no-deal was unavoidable. Everyone with a brain knew this, but they just pretending like you could somehow make 1+1=5 if you talked about it enough.

Boris got what he wanted. I have no idea why anyone else went along.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2021, 17:58 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

signofzeta wrote:
There will never again be such an open ended referendum. They essentially asked a bunch of children if they wanted to be “free” and of course they all said yes, clearly unaware or ungrateful for the enormous freedoms they already enjoy. Now it’s 2021 and actual non-imaginary problems are taking place and everyone has to pay %20 more for everything.

This is why you get grownups to run things. Trust expertise. Always ask qualifying questions. “For who?” “By who?” “Says who?” If you can’t get straight answers to these basic questions then turn your back to this fools. Big talkers with massive power/influence and zero actual expertise on anything will kill us all if we stupidly let them.

Living in the US...the parallels are so numerous they don’t need to be mentioned.

Spot on post zeta!

It'll totally make my day if Biden now turns to Europe's Trump clone to tell him trade deals with the US are unavailable until he gets back in line and rejoins the EU :lol:
JVC DLA-X7000BE
Lumagen Radiance 2144

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next