It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:41

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: eBay Really Pushing Sales Tax Now
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 15:34 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Seeing it more and more that items on eBay are taxed. Yet another reason to stick to this site and local listings for LD.

Post subject: Re: eBay Really Pushing Sales Tax Now
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 15:39 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gypsy wrote:
Seeing it more and more that items on eBay are taxed. Yet another reason to stick to this site and local listings for LD.

How much is it now in the USA?

eBay France is 8% selling fee inclusive of shipping costs + Paypal (3.9% + 0.30) so... 12~15% on average?

Julien

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 15:42 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

I believe it varies on the state which is hard to figure out. Like do you pay for just the state from the person you bought it from as well as the buyer's home state?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 17:35 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I know a site like reverb really laid it out clearly.
Reverb actually collects the taxes from the state the buyer is from.

Nice thing is that I'm now in Delaware, there are only a handful of tax free states here in the USA.
I can't help but smile every time I go a buy something and only pay that price.
39.99 you give them 2 twenty's and they give you a penny back :P

No taxes on my internet purchases since we have no sales tax :P

Now I'll have to jack up my prices since everybody will actually be saving from no tax when buying from me :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 19:46 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

admin wrote:
gypsy wrote:

eBay France is 8% selling fee inclusive of shipping costs + Paypal (3.9% + 0.30) so... 12~15% on average?

Julien

The eBay fee here is 10% but I am talking about charging a sales tax. I had to pay tax on a knock-off remote that shipped from Texas. Which got me checking, asking friends etc and it seems like many more things are being taxed now. It's around another 9% to the buyer.

@rein-o LOL

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 20:25 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Actually the auction fees are 10% but they are sticking it to the seller with an 11% fee with BIN.
So that 11 along with 4 from paypal is 15% and along with the shipping fees they suck out that's another 1% so you are actually paying 16%
after all is said and done.

Very sad one, I just bought a guitar amp from a newbie who listed free shipping, it came to 45 just for shipping and I won the amp at 55.
He got burned to say the least.
Would have made more money at a yard sale for 30 bucks.....

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 20:35 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

It's category based. Movies are more now, games are still 10%. My last two sales were a sealed PS2 game for $22 (fee $2.20) and an anime DVD set where the BD is coming for $45 (fee $5.40 which is 12%).

More and more I find well...less reasons to buy and sell on eBay. Agree that local sales are really becoming much more appealing between eBay fees and ever increasing shipping cost. Too bad any and all used audio in my area is a joke so I have to buy online (typically AGON these days).

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2019, 21:00 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yeah, I went to Guitar Center near me and picked up some practice amps cheaper than asking prices on the internet before shipping.
Yes the categories, the ones I usually sell in are the higher priced :(

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 05:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

admin wrote:
gypsy wrote:

And I tried eBay USA last week... 13.2% fees (including on shipping) + 3.9% Paypal that puts us around 18~20% selling fees.

That's really crazy, now I understand why I see a lot of "free shipping included" (they're charged on by eBay anyway) with inflated prices. Had to do the same thing.

Also was amazed on how they really want to lock their market when I wanted to sent my email address to a buyer to top-up on shipping (Email was not disclosed in the Paypal invoice or in the eBay invoice) and eBay threatened to charge with an extortion fees if I send my personal information.

Who do they think they are? The Mafia?

Julien

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 08:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

they're Evil Bay of course

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 13:18 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Why the hell are they collecting taxes on secondhand goods?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 13:42 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

takeshi666 wrote:

Why not? Governments do.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 15:12 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

takeshi666 wrote:

Here you are supposed to collect tax on anything you sell period.
Uncle Sam want's his cut.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 15:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well I'm not sure what I was expecting, I already knew US tax system was crazy.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 16:40 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I’m...pretty sure that’s not just an American thing. If you’re making $$$ you pay tax. The goods being new/used...I fail to see what that has to do with anything. It’s not like the Sheriff of Nottingham is coming to your garage sale. If you have 1000 feedback from selling stuff you probably should be paying taxes.

Btw, the posters are being babies. Americans are cheap selfish petty people who don’t want to pay any amount of tax for anything ever. They don’t care about roads and hospitals and stuff. They want that %6 in their pocket...so they can blow it on lotto or whatever.

In Europe people pay taxes because they want the benefits they bring. In the US taxes are usually thought of as something you pay so someone else can have something. “I don’t want to pay for someone else’s [whatever]” when in fact everyone is helping to pay for everyone. They don’t see it that way, even people who are so poor they actually *clearly* get more from the Government than they put into it still complain about the system. For example, most states get more Federal tax dollars back than they pay because states like NJ, MI, TX etc pay more. Alaska for example only remains populated at all because of Federal money yet Alaska is crammed full of the most ant-tax nutballs in the continent.

They think they want to live in Afghanistan I swear...all fronting like they could actually continue to exist in a world where the government isn’t doing 50 things for them simultaneously 24/7. A bunch of broke-ass wannabe Kenshiros walking the tax free lay lanes of post apocalyptic future...Please.

If anything this points out how insane eBay’s fees are. Sales taxes runs my state, eBay gets four times that on a sale. What are they doing with the money other than buying more companies?

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 17:19 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

signofzeta wrote:
If you’re making $$$ you pay tax. The goods being new/used...I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

Well you're not necessarily making any money are you? If I paid $300 originally for something and end up selling it for $100 years later, I'm technically losing money. The amount of use I got out of it shouldn't make any difference. The point is, the sales tax should be considered collected at the point of first sale, not just repeatedly collect it EVERY time the same item changes hands.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 18:44 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Might be getting too political here but if we really want to turn things around we need to go back to old policies of heavily taxing the ultra wealthy. I have no problem paying sales tax but if we want to invoke real change that is what we need.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 19:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

takeshi666 wrote:
signofzeta wrote:
If you’re making $$$ you pay tax. The goods being new/used...I fail to see what that has to do with anything.

Well you're not necessarily making any money are you? If I paid $300 originally for something and end up selling it for $100 years later, I'm technically losing money. The amount of use I got out of it shouldn't make any difference. The point is, the sales tax should be considered collected at the point of first sale, not just repeatedly collect it EVERY time the same item changes hands.

What the hell are you talking about? Once an item is considered “used” it’s immune from taxation? By what logic? We’re not taking about private transactions here, or even LDDB. This is a trillion dollar company essentially operating in the grey market and its 20 years on now. Legally I am obligated to pay %6 for everything I buy on eBay but I have to add it up and report it and pay the taxes my choice and even I don’t do that so clearly a huge chunk of Michigan’s economy has been tax free to the benefit of eBay stock holders for decades. I see no reason to support that.

When any item enters the economy, like a Laserdisc or a car or anything, it’s affect on the whole continues as long as it’s being traded. An LD that is basically worthless but travels around the world via the postal service is still minutely affecting the economy every time it changes hands. So when traded on an international interstate public selling service like eBay there’s no reason to not put taxes on it...especially if the scumbag seller is getting $1000 for the disc.

It’s way way overdue. I spent literally thousands on eBay this year. That’s thousands that didn’t get taxed but it’s also money I didn’t spend at a local store who would have charged tax.

I guess in a perfect economy we’d just all sell used good and buy them on eBay and pay no taxes. I can’t see any problem with this whatsoever. Perfect plan. Hope your house never catches fire and none of your food is poisonous. You won’t have worry about the electricity, there won’t be any. There isn’t a power company on earth that isn’t heavily subsidized by a government in some way.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 19:50 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

gypsy wrote:
Might be getting too political here but if we really want to turn things around we need to go back to old policies of heavily taxing the ultra wealthy. I have no problem paying sales tax but if we want to invoke real change that is what we need.

I agree. eBay should pay the sales tax. The carpet store does, why not them?

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 20:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

gypsy wrote:

Yes, the capitalist system generally doesn't tax the ultra wealthy enough. Reason is obvious: people with crazy amounts of money affect policies. If they aren't actually making the decisions about tax directly then they know the people that are.

Executive salaries + bonuses are the craziest thing that goes on tbh. Bonuses in particular are completely out of hand now, execs basically always get them even if the company is under performing...because other companies do it so it's "not fair" if some guy/girl misses out on that :roll:

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next