It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:20

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suspicious big sales in lddb top 100 (buyer: grishin)
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 13:57 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Just got an email saying that my shop on lddb.com has sold 2 discs for $190. I checked the buyer and he has just registered and has zero feedback.
This would usually be fine but I just happened to have a look at the top 100 past sales page and there is a suspicious amount of large priced laserdiscs that have sold.
http://www.lddb.com/top100.php?id=11

Just wondering if some Jerk has signed up, clicked on buy now as many times as he can just for a laugh. Any other sellers sold some high priced items in the last couple of days all from the same buyer?

Can Julien check on this?

Post subject: Re: Suspicious of lots of big priced sales in lddb top 100
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 15:58 
True fan
True fan

I know a buddy of mine on Facebook just sold his copy of Titan A.E. for 450$. I assume its probably the same guy

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 16:22 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello,

I know at least one of the first transactions ($300+) has been paid through Paypal and that there are higher amounts to be paid by bank transfers.

We know the buyer is Paypal verified but can't tell (due to Paypal policy related to eBay) if the account is also confirmed.

Ex: http://forum.purseblog.com/ebay-forum/c ... 15564.html

USA is one of the few countries where you can get "confirmed".

Julien

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 10:17 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FYI: at least one Paypal payment from this buyer (grishin) got flagged as suspicious by Paypal and cancelled. Amount was above $1,000.

Quote:
We've completed our review of the transaction below and found the payment may not be authorized by the PayPal account holder or may be the result of suspicious activity. As a result, we’ve cancelled this transaction.

I would recommend that anyone dealing with grishin requests a "Bank Account Transfer" as a way of payment (or other non-reversible means of payment). Paypal also have its own ways to randomly gets suspicious of perfectly legit transfers. The use of "may" doesn't tell us if they found a stolen card or other factual reasons to do so.

Quick reminder on what Paypal guarantees or not for Sellers (not much unless it is an eBay transaction and they have the buyer's credit card on record) :( :

Per Paypal User Agreement, you allow them to cancel any payment (this used to be up to 6 months but there is no more limit anymore) if they find any unilateral reason for concerns.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/terms-outside
Quote:
Receipt of Payments; Risk of Reversal of Transactions; Collection of Funds you owe PayPal. When you receive a payment through the Service, unless you follow the steps necessary to qualify for our Seller Protection Policy described in Part VII of this User Agreement, you are not protected against a subsequent reversal of the transaction. In the event that the sender's transaction is reversed for any reason and you do not qualify for the Seller Protection Policy for that transaction, you will owe PayPal for the amount of the reversed transaction plus any fees imposed on PayPal as a result of the reversal. Examples of such a reversal include, but are not limited to, a credit card reversal by the sender of the payment, and a reversal of the transaction because the sender of the payment was using a stolen credit card or unauthorized bank account. PayPal will seek to recover the funds from you by debiting your PayPal balance and, if there are not sufficient funds in your PayPal balance, PayPal reserves the right to collect your debt to PayPal by any other legal means.

We know this buyer is "Verified" but bot if he is "Confirmed" and that makes a big difference: if not "Confirmed", Paypal provides no seller protection whatsoever, and if you are not a US or Canadian Verified/Business account, there is no protection either:

Quote:
General. PayPal agrees to indemnify sellers of physical goods from reversal liability resulting from a buyer's unauthorized use of a credit card and/or false claims of non-shipment of goods. This protection applies only to the sale of physical goods, and not to any non-tangible, non-physical goods or services pursuant to section 1 above. It applies to up to $5,000.00 USD per year of payments received by the seller through PayPal if the following conditions are met:

• The seller has a U.S. or Canadian Verified Business or Verified Premier Account
  • The seller ships to the buyer's Confirmed Address.
  • The seller can provide reasonable proof-of-shipment which can be tracked online.
  • The seller accepted a single payment from only one PayPal account for the purchase.
  • The seller ships to a domestic (U.S.) buyer at a U.S. address.
  • The seller ships within 7 days of receiving payment.

I do not imply that grishin is a dishonest buyer, just that anyone should be a little cautious.
So far he has made for over $15,000 of purchase and should be treated with special attention.

Rgds,
Julien

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]