It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:01

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Seller - Questions about packaging
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2023, 14:49 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

After many years here I've decided to start selling off much of my collection (except my animation and Star Wars!)

Over time I've accumulated a large pile of LP/LD boxes from my purchases. They're all perfect except for the tear-off thread. Is it considered OK to reuse these, being sure they're resealed properly and have appropriate stiffening inserts? And regarding the latter, are there recommendations on materials? Are one or two extra layers of corrugated cardboard sufficient?

Thanks for any input.

- Mark

Post subject: Re: New Seller - Questions about packaging
PostPosted: 16 Aug 2023, 17:37 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Good luck with the sales, Old packing is fine, just like you said make sure you seal all.
My main issue when using old packing is to protect the corners, you may need the extra inside as you mention or even a piece around the entire outside like
a wrap of cardboard.

If you have an aldi or Lidle near by they often have some nice large boxes that you can reuse the larger pieces of cardboard.

The biggest pain for selling LDs is the packing of them, its much easier to buy :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Aug 2023, 18:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Yes, I have both Aldi and Lidl near me - that's a good idea! And yes, I sell some stuff on eBay (not laserdiscs) and I hate the packing part. But yeah, buying is too easy - hence my overflowing collections of laserdiscs, LPs, CDs, DVDs, Blu-rays.. :roll:

Thank you for the advice and well wishes!

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2023, 18:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I was re-using boxes when I started but eventually ran out of suitable boxes. Near the end of that I was getting pretty creative with what I was using. I pondered briefly putting a pause on my shop until I could figure something out but ended up buying some boxes on uline instead. Even considering shipping charges it was considerably cheaper than buying boxes from an office supply store. Overall their boxes are excellent and I would recommend them. I've been using the boxes for some other sales as well when I need something in that size range. For LaserDiscs you will need to go with 14x14 to comfortably fit them. I went with a height of 6 so I had something suitable for sales of multiple discs (most sales fall under this). They do have 14x14x2 if you just wanted something for individual disc sales. It is worth noting that you do need to buy in considerable bulk. Typically the minimum is around 25 boxes of one size which is what I went with. I'm actually getting to the point where I will need to order some more soon-ish.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2023, 19:04 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Never found the prices on uline to be cheap, will check them out again, when I have bought it was through zoro but will check them out again for my next order.

Always good to have multiple sources in your pocket when you need them.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2023, 19:52 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Never found the prices on uline to be cheap, will check them out again, when I have bought it was through zoro but will check them out again for my next order.

Always good to have multiple sources in your pocket when you need them.

I have not heard of Zoro until now. I am giving them a look. For the box size I got they are 22 cents more a box for the comparable box at uline and just 3 cents more than the boxes I went with. It was probably overkill but I went with the 200 pound test box and not ECT lightweight. Some other sizes might be cheaper.

Good to know about them as well though.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2023, 20:20 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Not sure where they fall price-wise with Uline and Zoro, but for my LP stuff I've always used Bags Unlimited and been very happy with them. But will check out the others when the time comes. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2023, 18:47 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I was only buying sheets of cardboard, I think it was 36x42 and they were cheap per sheet but I make the LD boxes, don't usually have that many LDs
selling at one time.

Then I get to use the corrugated sheets for packing and shipping other stuff, so for me its cheaper, I was trying to check Uline when you posted but
got sidetracked.

Bags unlimited are great, or at least last time I ordered, but haven't ordered much from them in years, usually just the bags and trying to get rid of
stuff that needs protection :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]