It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:56

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: VHS/SVHS Support Request
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 11:10 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

I would like to know if you can add The VHS support.
Why: (My opignon)
Very interesting with up to 4k-8K digital TV, HD crt show to much the VHS unsteady due to its far superior refresh speed.
Anyway, i'm starting the collection, and i thinks it worth it, specialy whith Difital Screen everything analog isn't based on codec compression scheme and are noisy (it's based on video bandwidth compression), so all pixel of the digital screen are updated/frame, much better that only the last picture pixel change update of digital sources. Also the sound can be up to dobly surround using the same if not better sound encoding for the ones who support it than the LD. (FM Carrier). Not mentionning that the FPS is also 50/60 real frame/s not frame with vector, and mathematical color repoduction (material feeling (clothes,wood,metal,etc..) like on the LD)
Also the Full pal, and NTSC color space are supported, making them as the LD HDR (Analog does not sample the color space, who know many digital bits are necessary the reproduce with high fidelity the analog color space (I do think twice the analog dynamics 18-20Bit), in audio i'm doing up to 500Khz PCM 24 Bit simulation, and it's not even close to a vinyl to less bitrate sampling, 24 bit resolution is sufficient as it's twice the Linear Dynamics range of the analog format , it's seems that the 2X Nyquist Theorem is out of date , it's rather about the bandwith, not the resolution, and it said that 2X bandwidth sampling is the minimum...)
As LDDB is quite popular, and i do think that the magnetique tape as audio/video support can be very interesting (SVHS), and is also regaining popularity, it should be interesting to start doing statistic/database with what the compagnies produced in the past (VHS) and also who are using them...

For these reasons:
I would really appreciate making my VHS video Collection On LDDB...

I do think, i'm not in the right categorie, can you please move it the the good forum categorie.

Thanks for your reading,
Have a good day,
Rgds,

Post subject: Re: VHS/SVHS Support Request
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 14:26 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm not sure Shannon would agree with you on this... Bandwidth matters.

But this has already been discussed (VHS category) and the answer is still no.

Julien

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 19:34 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

Do you know if there is an alternative web site?

Regarding the bandwidth, of course it matters, but the bandwidth of the vhs regarding it's 240 TVl is more than sufficient...

Resolution isn't All.

Better going low res high bittrate raw data, than hi-res low bitrate virtualy reconstructed data.
And for me resolution does not makes any differences, only when i want to read the brand of the whiskey there are drinking, fortunately i haven't any interest on this kind of ùdetails ;)

Have a good day,
Rgds,

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 20:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

What he means by “bandwidth” is that if you add a super common format to a site like this the traffic will quadruple and so will hosting costs…all for a format that is very much loved already on other websites.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 21:41 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

I think i was refering about resolution bandwidth.

Which one is the best for VHS/SVHS?
Altrought i would love to have only one site for online video collection sharing...

Thanks in advance,
Have a good day,
Rgds,

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2022, 23:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I don’t know of a great VHS site. I’m not a major VHS fan…I honestly don’t like it very much. LDDB.com is a very unique website. It’s the product of users and one owner in his spare time, has no ads, and works extremely well.

There are massively more VHS releases than there are LDs so the site would be %90 about other formats than LDs, the forum would be %90 about VHS, there would be more scammers and squares, more people would try to hack it…it would destroy the site as we now know it, IMHO.

Doing JUST SVHS would be great though. There are very very few of those, less than VHD probably.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 02:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

anonyme-x22 wrote:
Which one is the best for VHS/SVHS?

Isn't https://vhscollector.com/ made for that purpose?

24,526 releases (including one LD?) but I expect VHS to be in the millions range (like LPs on Discogs) with countless white label, pirate, unofficial releases.

Maybe it's actually nearly impossible to compile such a database without fervent (like Discogs) fan support.

Julien

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2022, 17:15 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Even discogs is still missing stuff, I just picked up a CD at a thrift store that was not even cataloged.
And I've even added a lot of stuff which is sort of odd to me..... My stuff in the CD realm isn't that rare or obscure.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 13:21 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the website address.
Yes, internet does not contains all our history with true/clearly and easy access...
I suspect it for while to put only the things they want to not mentionning these stupid IA whose scan each information H24 and remove what isn't correct for them...
I also agree that it's a big database and that's a lot of works for the website.

To think:
Isn't it the purpose of a such website to grow in informations everyday.
And LD as great as they are won't be produced again since the cost of these would approach 300$ each even if today we could master great LD...
The LD database is quiet complete, so LDDB will shortly be stuck on this side...

@rein-o: I'm glad that you have something to continue enjoying the CD even if i won't tell you what i think about it. Anyone has the right to enjoy the format he wants just because it's freedom.

But i think that discogs is fareaway a more commercial approach than this website, because if i'm not wrong it was done first for LD media history keeping.

Anyway, please continue to enjoy and promote the best consummer last full analog video format ever created (yes, some would arg about the digital soundtrack, but even the movie could be digital on a LD, analog can hold digital data whereas digital cannot, and it's not for these also unbeatable digital soundtrack due to analog transport that i love the ld, but for it's full analog experience Audio/and video when possible, analog tracks are like 15IPS RTR when well mastered, even if a little less good than the VHS FM Modulation...) just because it know how to fill our home with a great home movie theater experience better than the VHS, and even all digital format that brings only a lot of definition often not necessary and a lot of disadvantaged not mentionning the durability in times...
We do what we can...

Brain and senses are all analog devices... (except for these "human" whose try to be "oids" if even it was possible without digital brain and senses devices and what for... immitating a computer, shame for them because analog brain, and devices, like their electronical ywins will always be the best, anf or kill this just out of order digital wave, the futur rests ion the quantic devices who's are just analog polymorph devices)

Long life analog...
Have a good day,
Rgds,

Last edited by anonyme-x22 on 13 Mar 2022, 18:34, edited 9 times in total.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 17:29 
Site Admin
Site Admin

anonyme-x22 wrote:
The LD database is quiet complete, so LDDB will shortly be stuck on this side...

Then you haven't paid attention the the Hardware Section :-)

HARDWARE DATABASE v1 is now online!

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 17:46 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

No, But that's a category which already should be developed for a long time.
Very welcome anyway...
Coming to this if someone knows about a full analog devices:

To have lines quadrupled
To have brigthness,contrast,color, sharp, and gamma

Right after the signal output.
I would be very thankfull to him for these infromations.
I'm just fed up to increment one by one the picture controls on digital devices, sliders are so more faster, funniers, and don't display an osd on screen...

Have a good day,
Rgds,

Last edited by anonyme-x22 on 13 Mar 2022, 18:07, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 17:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

anonyme-x22 wrote:
No, But that's a categorie which already should be developed for a long time.

I can't say you're being very supportive.

Feel free to start your own VHS database, it's a lot of fun (and sleepless nights)!

Julien

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2022, 17:58 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Hi,

Sorry, i wouldn't harm, its a great category. Just thought that it was already up there...
No, no ,no computers things i let them for the ones who are loving to battle with stupids registers adder...
The only things i would support is quality control from digital things...

Thanks for the proposal anyway,
Will tell it to my IA to do this when available...

Have a good day,
Rgds,

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ]