It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:04

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Quick PCM / Analog Question
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2022, 06:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Today i had Roger and Me (1989) [11978] playing on my R7G,
Via Optical cable and my Amp was seeing "PCM digital Stereo" but strangely was dropping out occasionally only for a few seconds at a time, maybe every other minute.

Never had this issue before with PCM, possible rot maybe but the picture was fine.
I switched my Amp over to the Analog inputs from my R7G it saw "analog mono" and it was fine.
I had a similar issue with my Starship Troopers (1997) [71716] USA disc, Fine picture but the AC-3 track was stuffed, figured as AC-3 is compressed would be more prone.

Now on the database is shows this disc only having Analog? which has confused me,
Was my R7G pumping out Analog over Optical and my receiver saw it as PCM and having problems, possibly the database is incorrect or just my 3rd rotter? :think:
Just some guy in New Zealand confused.
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

Post subject: Re: Quick PCM / Analog Question
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2022, 10:04 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jakeheke wrote:
Today i had Roger and Me (1989) [11978] playing on my R7G,
Via Optical cable and my Amp was seeing "PCM digital Stereo" but strangely was dropping out occasionally only for a few seconds at a time, maybe every other minute.

Never had this issue before with PCM, possible rot maybe but the picture was fine.
I switched my Amp over to the Analog inputs from my R7G it saw "analog mono" and it was fine.

Rot could certainly be an issue but I've never had this issue if the picture did not have excessive drop outs due to rot. Also, if you play the digital track through the player's analog out, you should hear crackling on the audio if rot was affecting it.

In addition, you might want to inspect the optical cable for any damage and also make sure you have the cable running smoothly w/ no tight bends that could reduce light output. Also, just observe the light output on the end of the cable to ensure it has the same brightness as it would coming out of the jack. If there is any dimness, you probably need a new cable.

jakeheke wrote:
I had a similar issue with my Starship Troopers (1997) [71716] USA disc, Fine picture but the AC-3 track was stuffed, figured as AC-3 is compressed would be more prone.

Well.... Starship Troopers is a known rotter and I think anything is possible. Most certainly the compression on AC3 makes it more susceptible to rot damage. My copy seems to still play fine.

jakeheke wrote:
Now on the database is shows this disc only having Analog? which has confused me,
Was my R7G pumping out Analog over Optical and my receiver saw it as PCM and having problems, possibly the database is incorrect or just my 3rd rotter? :think:

I decided to do a quick search of other Warner Brother titles that I know have Digital Sound and I noticed that many of the jackets (as well as the discs themselves) apparently do not mention digital sound at all. Thus, I'm sure the database is wrong. Also, your player should have a Digital Sound indicator on the front panel. Doesn't it light up when you play this disc? Also, hitting your "D/A" or "D/A CX" button should tell you if a disc has digital sound or not.

Last edited by ldfan on 26 Mar 2022, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2022, 16:36 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I never had this issue while having my optical connected.
But I read once, may have been blam? that rot can occur on digital tracks first?

I hate to think you have 3 discs in a row that are giving issues that are from rot.

Also could it be your amp somehow? or dirt on the optical cable? dust or something?

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2022, 23:12 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

I believe that especially long and/or low-quality/damaged optical cables could be more susceptible to something called clock jitter, which, if I understand correctly, is caused by a reflection of the optical signal causing interference and throwing off the sync.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2022, 02:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I am going to replace my optical cable, it is quite old and is well due to be replaced.
Any respected brands to recommend team?

ldfan i also think the DB is wrong on this title, Have gone ahead and make the update request. Also so used to always turning off the display on my player i didn't even check :oops:

rein-o not my 3rd disc in a row fortunately, 3rd disc from my collection i have noticed over the years even if it is rot,
I doubt it is my amp as it has been fine before and since, i actually had Jaws (1975) [42629] running in the background today via PCM just to double check and was fine..

Somethings in life just do not make sense,
Particularly when your still watching LaserDiscs.... :lol:
iScan DUO Processor
Check out my small but loved collection here..

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2022, 06:37 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

jakeheke wrote:
I am going to replace my optical cable, it is quite old and is well due to be replaced.
Any respected brands to recommend team?

I would at least avoid the one's w/ the ultra thin cable as it could induce jitter and see about getting one w/ decent plugs on each end. Shouldn't have to spend more than $7 - $10. Check Monoprice, eBay, Amazon, etc.

jakeheke wrote:
ldfan i also think the DB is wrong on this title, Have gone ahead and make the update request.

I checked more Warner discs and it appears they have never indicated the presence of Digital Sound on any of their discs (even the AC3 titles). Kind of odd that I never noticed that all these years.

Last edited by ldfan on 29 Mar 2022, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2022, 16:24 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I had some great monster cable ones, nice thick and good quality, but they are monster and I can't remember all the details now but I try to boycott monster stuff.
Should be able to get them cheaper now since its an HDMI world :lol:

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]