It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:40

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: CX encoding
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 11:03 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I get it. Of course, I have zero discs where this actually matters and probably never will, but I get it!

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 17:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

nems wrote:
disclord wrote:
CX requires that the two encoded channels be related, i.e. stereo or mono, to decode correctly, thus incorrectly encoded commentary/bilingual are not in CX compliance.

Thanks so much for posting this info. I feel like a light-bulb just turned on over my head. :idea: I kinda suspected that CX requires the use of two related channels but never knew it it to be true. Now I understand why a boxed set I own contains some discs with the CX logo and some discs without it. Turns out that the discs with the CX logo have a single language mono track (on both the right and left analog tracks), and discs without the CX logo have analog bilingual tracks (e.g. left track English, right track Japanese). It all makes sense now. CX needs to occupy both left and right tracks, and the two tracks need to be a mono or stereo version of the same recording.

...which also explains why Brute Force (1947) [RGL9506] has a commentary track and is CX encoded. It all works out because Roan put the commentary on both analog tracks.

Did everybody else understand this all along? Am I the only one this late to the CX party? :oops:

Roan screwed up Target Earth, using CX when the analog track has commentary on one channel and soundtrack on the other. It causes annoying pumping of the audio. The only way to hear it right is on a top-loading tube player that only has manual CX on and off. Early Image classics discs with commentary also have incorrect CX usage. I need to start detailing this on my LaserVision Landmarks site but am currently starting working on an article about the first adult title issued on LaserDisc, the rare cut version of Insatiable.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2012, 17:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

nems wrote:
disclord wrote:
CX requires that the two encoded channels be related, i.e. stereo or mono, to decode correctly, thus incorrectly encoded commentary/bilingual are not in CX compliance.

Thanks so much for posting this info. I feel like a light-bulb just turned on over my head. :idea: I kinda suspected that CX requires the use of two related channels but never knew it it to be true. Now I understand why a boxed set I own contains some discs with the CX logo and some discs without it. Turns out that the discs with the CX logo have a single language mono track (on both the right and left analog tracks), and discs without the CX logo have analog bilingual tracks (e.g. left track English, right track Japanese). It all makes sense now. CX needs to occupy both left and right tracks, and the two tracks need to be a mono or stereo version of the same recording.

...which also explains why Brute Force (1947) [RGL9506] has a commentary track and is CX encoded. It all works out because Roan put the commentary on both analog tracks.

Did everybody else understand this all along? Am I the only one this late to the CX party? :oops:

:oops: i didn't, that's way above my head.
thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2017, 18:04 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Techmoan recently posted a video on CX Encoding as pertaining to LP technology:

CX Discs : Better, Worse & the Same as a normal record - A Forgotten Format

He does mention at the end that the technology was incorporated into both CED and LD, but focuses mainly on LPs for the video.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018, 17:25 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

excuse my ignorance but every MONO laserdisc is ANALOG MONO ? or there are Digital mono LD releases ?

and does these MONO LDs sound just on one speaker of the tv ? thank you

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018, 22:30 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There is digital mono too of course.

Example: Dawn of the Dead (1978) [ID6683HB]

As for the speakers... on a surround system in surround mode, audio will only come from the center speaker.
My TV never reduced mono just to one speaker, but some could you'll have to test.

There are even MONO Blu-rays believe it or not.
Tampopo from Criterion Collection being an example.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2018, 22:57 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

There is a difference between 2.0 Mono and 1.0 Mono. LaserDisc, either digital or analog, are going to be 2.0 mono, the same program on Left and Right channels. Usually, this is the way Blu-ray titles are also done, 2.0 mono. Now, Warner Bros is the exception where they actually encode their titles as 1.0, which will always be "center" channel. It makes me nuts!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2018, 01:53 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

blam1 wrote:
There is a difference between 2.0 Mono and 1.0 Mono. LaserDisc, either digital or analog, are going to be 2.0 mono, the same program on Left and Right channels. Usually, this is the way Blu-ray titles are also done, 2.0 mono. Now, Warner Bros is the exception where they actually encode their titles as 1.0, which will always be "center" channel. It makes me nuts!

I'm actually surprised how few companies actually incorporate a "true" mono track instead of the usual dual mono on their discs!

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2018, 02:16 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

If you turn Surround off on most processors you’ll get your dual mono from L+R. I guess if you want to have hyper focused sound from what probably isn’t your best speaker you can have it that way but just because a movie is in mono doesn’t mean you’re limited to a single driver.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2018, 08:48 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

thank you

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2