It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:14

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: If you wanted to demo a LD soundtrack...
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 04:04 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

admin wrote:
icecapuk10@aol.c wrote:
DTS DVD

We're talking about LDs here :?

Julien

but he is right thou.. I have own those two on D-Theater and they are awesome, the Japanese LD of those movies tracks iirc are pretty good too. But I sold my LD ones ages ago, so memory is fuzzy.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2011, 16:38 
Just a few of my favorites that come to mind.

10,000 Maniacs: MTV Unplugged (1994)
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/08952/401 ... %281994%29

Big Parade, The (1925) ... A silent movie? :wtf: Yes! Orchestral score by Carl Davis is jaw dropping in MGM Silent Classics series.
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/03909/ML1 ... %281925%29

Eagles: Hell Freezes Over (1994) Circuit City used to use this as a demo disc.
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/06144/ID3 ... %281994%29

Vertigo (1958) MCA Universal Signature collection
http://www.lddb.com/laserdisc/07608/429 ... %281958%29

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 07:36 
"The Mummy". This movie was the last Universal Signature Series disc released and has incrdible sound quality. This disc is far supiroir to the DVD sound.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 09:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

1) THE SHADOW DTS.
2) LOST IN SPACE DTS (especially the hyper jump scene.)
3) IMAX SUPER SPEEDWAY DTS (the scene where the engine is being thrashed at cosworth, gradually zooms in, and then it goes instantly to a thunder storm amazing.)
4) TRUE LIES DTS (The Harrier jump jet scenes.)
5) CASPER DTS (AN ALL ENCOMPASSING EXPERIENCE.)

Many others beside the above.

:thumbup:

Last edited by benmbe on 21 Dec 2011, 09:52, edited 1 time in total. _________________
Το ταξίδι για την αλήθεια κάθε σκάφος δεμένα, κατόπιν δεν είναι να ληφθούν, ή μάλλον βάδισαν

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 09:48 
Second post
Second post

The Armeggeddon ac-3 soundtrack when the spaceshuttles takeoff land etc is pretty impressive ....along with starship troopers ac-3 ....eagles hell freezers over in dts ..

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2011, 09:35 
True fan
True fan

laserbite34 wrote:
dts laserdisc “Apollo 13” chapter 13, the launch!

Chapter 12 the fuel pumps carrying the fuel up the manifolds while it creaks though Saturn V over centre front then has me, looking upwards to the left surround arrays then quietens with softer like breathing sound as if the Saturn V is alive!

The gantry arms pulling away one at time as the camera moves down alongside the Saturn V again as me looking from side to side while taking in all the sound information of this memorable 1995 Oscar® winning film mix.

Strong agreement. This one was knocking painting off my walls and books off my shelves!

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 22:29 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

chente wrote:
laserbite34 wrote:
dts laserdisc “Apollo 13” chapter 13, the launch!

Chapter 12 the fuel pumps carrying the fuel up the manifolds while it creaks though Saturn V over centre front then has me, looking upwards to the left surround arrays then quietens with softer like breathing sound as if the Saturn V is alive!

The gantry arms pulling away one at time as the camera moves down alongside the Saturn V again as me looking from side to side while taking in all the sound information of this memorable 1995 Oscar® winning film mix.

Strong agreement. This one was knocking painting off my walls and books off my shelves!

Yes once the bass and sub bass waves reach the walls they tend to have tendency of flexing a little bit. LOL

I have listened to the film at least 12 or so times in Dolby Stereo at the MGM cinema in my home town screen 1 and then screen 2 and only once in dts at UCI Tower Park in screen 6. Plus god knows how many times on THX laserdisc when the film was released while still playing at the cinema and then later I got the dts THX laserdisc and it still knocks my soaks off a nice scoring mixing balance with sound effects and dialogue on the launch.

The gantry arms each and one pulling away from the Saturn V and panning away from centre to left and right from different camera angles WOW its thinking man’s sound film listen too.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2011, 22:56 
Confirmed Padawan
Confirmed Padawan

The Empire Strikes Back THX laserdisc CLV its easy to play sides over the CAV version I have.
The sound mix is just phenomenal for this Dolby stereo mix of 1980. The matrix mix is nicely transferred but the discrete mix is different ballgame.

From the opening moments of the Tauntaun close up and its sound being panned from centre to stage left wow.

Switches being pressed or flipped to left or right channel in the rebel complex, from hissing doors centre then closing to right channel thou when thinking about it makes no sense to have the hissing door sound close to right when the Princess walks away from the door, “Han” It would make sense in 6track discrete like DVD but it doesn’t happen have the sound on the right surround only as the door is several feet now behind the audience!

The AT-AT has so much going on with individual sounds to left and right and centre thou centre sounds mostly active if not critically balanced in frequency along with left and right some of the smaller sounds are a bit hard to localize.

In the Falcon when Han turns the Falcon around to head towards the star destroyer, the flipping of few switches on the control panel on stage left are a little bit hard to hear in matrix, in the discrete mix its bit clear as the dialogue track and parts of the score aren’t clashing or competing with each other.

I know the sound is there its high range sound easily above 1 KHz range.

Nice clear moment is when the Falcon comes in to save Skywalker from Cloud City, the Wookie presses few buttons that should appear to left but due to matrix they tend to have left and half panned sound into the centre so placement of loudspeakers and little delay on the centre only can trick the mind a few milliseconds by holding the centre back while making Wookie button pressing sound cool and it is cool scene with score rising high and then the princess flipping a switch off to stage right clearly but the delay does help on the centre if you have active crossover network a little delay on the HF helps.

I might explore it again and place the loudspeakers closer tougher and listen within a few feet at softer SPL db level of course to try and get to know it a bit more. I find this part personal in the film and if its jellying together before letting friends listen, the scene collapses the high pitch of the Falcon’s engines nice and again the John Williams score at the same time, as Luke falls onto the Falcon WOOOOW “Lando”? “Okay lets go” Voooorrrrrooommmmmhummmm. LOL The bass and sub bass extension helps tremendously as well.

Empire is son of b**ch of film! Best STAR WARS hands down. :clap: :thumbup:

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2012, 20:07 
True fan
True fan

laserbite, are you referring to the Special Edition mix? That's the only LD of Star Wars with a discrete 5.1 mix. I do agree that they worked wonders with the material and all three new 5.1 tracks are stunning. (Also were theatrically!) Though I lack an ac3 demodulator at the moment, that's the first disc I'm putting on when I finally get one. That being said, the matrix mix is also quite good, as is the matrixed mix on the 93/95 discs-with Star Wars being derived from the 4 track original master.
benmbe wrote:
1) THE SHADOW DTS.

This one knocks it out of the park in every single detail. I lucked out on a copy, and had never seen the film all the way through. Incredible soundfield, and the Blu-ray out in Europe uses the same bitrate DTS track. Now I can't wait to hear what DTS magic will be present on Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies.

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 20:17 
Casper DTS
Die Hard 2 DTS
Alien,Aliens AC-3

PostPosted: 02 May 2012, 22:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

The ones that keep spinning here....

Ronin dts (yep the car chase)
Blade dts (opening scene)
Fight Club AC-3
The phantom Menace ... Ik know I know it's a cliché...
U-571 AC-3 (do own the hddvd and dts dvd both sound great)
Armageddon dts or AC-3
True Lies dts or AC-3
American Beauty (stunning dolby surround)
Bringing out the dead USA (stunning dolby surround)
The Beach AC-3
Goldeneye dts or AC-3
Con Air dts
Se7en dts (library classic scene)
Mission Impossible AC-3
Die Hard with a Vengeance dts
Toy story dts
The Shadow dts
The mummy AC-3
Vertigo dts (opening scene score) it's old you know.... :shock:
Lethal Weapon 4 AC-3
Wild wild West AC-3
Apollo 13 dts
Boogie nights dts
54 AC-3
The Fifth Element AC-3
Jurrasic Park dts
Lexicon LDD-1
SR-7015
RMB-1585
DP-UB820
TX-58DX780E

PostPosted: 06 May 2012, 18:34 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Tina Turner: Live in Amsterdam dts
The Haunting

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2