LaserDisc Database
https://forum.lddb.com/

Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8293
Page 1 of 1

Author:  ryosaeba84 [ 23 Feb 2019, 18:12 ]
Post subject:  Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?

Well as the title says, I was wondering if any title ever came out with both an AC3 and DTS track, since it was technically possible with one being on the right analog channel and the second taking both digital channels so they wouldn't have been interfering with one another.

Author:  signofzeta [ 23 Feb 2019, 18:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dobly AC3 and DTS ?

Nope.

Author:  ryosaeba84 [ 23 Feb 2019, 19:28 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dobly AC3 and DTS ?

Huh, too bad, i guess i knew already there wasn't any but still wanted to ask, it could have been like some dvds used to do.
Anyway i can't imagine the hustle it would've been to find one if they existed, I think they would have been released in even lesser quantities than the AC3 or DTS only discs.

Author:  audioboyz1973 [ 23 Feb 2019, 19:41 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dobly AC3 and DTS ?

It would have been possible to put a DTS soundtrack on a Hi-Vision disc...

Author:  signofzeta [ 23 Feb 2019, 20:30 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dobly AC3 and DTS ?

Usually 5.1 LDs use a then contemporary theatrical mix. So first you’d have to pick a movie which was theatrically released with both formats. Then when the LD came out it would cost god knows what because the fees associated with 5.1 raised the price of discs $5-10, at least at first, even when it was just DD *or* DTS. So it would almost double the price of the movie to implement two sound formats few customers could dicern from one another. Personally, assuming this would have been a US release, I would have rather they go back to the lab and see if they can made a cardboard sleeve that doesn’t suck. :)

Author:  audioboyz1973 [ 23 Feb 2019, 21:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dobly AC3 and DTS ?

signofzeta wrote:
Personally, assuming this would have been a US release, I would have rather they go back to the lab and see if they can made a cardboard sleeve that doesn’t suck. :)

Yes - US "cardboard" sleeves seem like just thick paper compared to their Japanese equivalents.

Author:  blam1 [ 25 Feb 2019, 18:39 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?

ryosaeba84 wrote:
Well as the title says, I was wondering if any title ever came out with both an AC3 and DTS track, since it was technically possible with one being on the right analog channel and the second taking both digital channels so they wouldn't have been interfering with one another.


While technically possible, there were not even test pressings as far as I'm aware. Plus there were "format compliance" issues that DTS fought. DTS was not permitted to use the "Compact Disc" logo because, while it technically conformed to 'redbook' specs, a decoder was required to listen to playback and players couldn't 'mute' the analog outputs. In the US, The LaserDisc Association did not allow them to use the "LaserDisc" logo on titles, although some snuck through (mostly MGM). When I was checking titles for this post, I pulled "The Rock" from Hollywood Home Video. Neither the AC3 or the DTS versions have the "LaserDisc" logo - which I found somewhat amusing.

Author:  takeshi666 [ 25 Feb 2019, 19:16 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?

It has only loose relevance to this topic, but I notice the DTS version of Blade has no alternate soundtrack option to the DTS; the analog channels are used for a commentary and isolated score, meaning you can't really watch the movie at all without a DTS decoder. Are there any other releases like this?

Author:  admin [ 25 Feb 2019, 20:01 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?

takeshi666 wrote:
It has only loose relevance to this topic, but I notice the DTS version of Blade has no alternate soundtrack option to the DTS; the analog channels are used for a commentary and isolated score, meaning you can't really watch the movie at all without a DTS decoder. Are there any other releases like this?


Searching for LaserDisc + DTS + commentary finds 16 titles.

Julien

Author:  blam1 [ 25 Feb 2019, 20:03 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?

"Dark City" and "Lost in Space" have 2 commentary tracks. "Rush Hour" has a Commentary and Musical Score. "Strange Days" has an Audio Discussion with Kathryn Bigelow that runs the full of Side 1 plus another 2.5 minutes on Side 2. The Side 2 segment is missing (but is present on the AC-3 version).

Author:  takeshi666 [ 25 Feb 2019, 20:20 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?

Strange Days still offers a regular mono track too tho.

Author:  signofzeta [ 25 Feb 2019, 21:54 ]
Post subject:  Re: Any movies with both Dolby AC3 and DTS ?

Dark City is a really good LD.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/