It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:03

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recording of my LD-S9 / typical Pioneer Digital Audio fault
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2019, 23:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So I brought my Pioneer LD-S9 out of storage yesterday because there may be a repair guy in my area who can help with it.

I got it from Japan in about 2015. It worked beautifully for 2 weeks then the digital audio started having problems. The same digital audio problem EVERY one of my 4 Pioneer LD players has developed (this is the basis for my low opinion of Pioneer, my half dozen Sonys have NEVER had an audio problem). I then tried to tweak the pots to fix the audio based on dubious advice received here and then I got P0 error on Side A playback. I gave up after that.

I have tried describing the audio problem in the past here but a recording speaks a thousand words so I recorded the error on my phone while playing side B of my Sade LD on my LD-S9 last night. This LD sounds flawless on both the Sonys I currently use btw. The recording isn't great but you can tell that Sade sounds like she's singing under water when it gets to the vocals. In real there is a constant gargle at the peaks and highs. The problem is even on the analog tracks as well.

Check it out and be wary of Pioneer players despite their hype on here.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0pqJwgolZwm

If the guy can get it working I plan to sell the S9. It's an ugly piece of junk too.

Post subject: Re: Recording of my LD-S9 / typical Pioneer Digital Audio fa
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 01:45 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Did you go off your meds without telling us again?

EDIT: I don’t know much about S9s or Sade but that is a CRAP recording of something. Using the built in mic on a phone with a free upload service? You’re this crazy about audio and that’s the best you can do? Nobody’s going to strain their ear to listen through that crap.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 01:50 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Yes, yes we know SONY baloney is the best.
Sounds like something with the flutter of the digital, wonder if its due to a weak laser or caps?

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 01:51 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Send the disc to me. I’ll make four perfect recordings from four different Pioneer players on four different CD-Rs and send them all back to you.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 03:54 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I don't have my optical USB adaptor for PC yet. But you get the idea, it doesn't have to be a hi quality recording, you can hear the gargle or "flutter" as Rein-O puts it.

Well Rein-O last time i asked I was advised to tweak the pots to increase the laser strength which didn't fix the audio problems and made P0 problems.

So I guess I've had about 5 Pioneers with weak lasers or bad caps? And a half dozen Sonys without either of these. Go figure.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2019, 13:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like bad caps.

My first MSC-4000 had similar issues => were caps that nobody knew how to fix anymore.

How do you store your players? In a bad (hot and dry) environment, the caps will go bad faster.

Julien

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2019, 10:56 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Well where I live is dry as a desert, cold in winter, hot in summer.

I had the player for two weeks before the audio problems presented. Before that it was sitting in humid Japan..

Yeah probably bad caps. Could I try replacing with generic caps from ebay.hmmm?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2019, 14:22 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

I don't think 2 months messed up the player.

Get the caps at the same values, and when you do it you need to replace all on the power board at the same time, old and new
don't mix well.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2019, 17:49 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

And if you're going to do it don't buy off ebay, probably largely fakes or old stock. Get good quality Japanese caps from a reputable supplier like Digikey or Mouser.

But why am I offering advice? Last time people here suggested to adjust the RF level you twiddled every pot in sight, then blamed us all for messing up the player; and still bring it up from time to time lol.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2019, 17:57 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

rein-o wrote:
Yes, yes we know SONY baloney is the best.
Sounds like something with the flutter of the digital, wonder if its due to a weak laser or caps?

Don't question the imperious forces of planet Sony.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 01:23 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Thanks dudes! If it doesn't work out I'll come back and blame you. Thanks again.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 02:07 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

But for real I have 3 Pioneer players and none of them exhibit this. It's very odd and does make one wonder if there is something screwy in the AU. ;)

It's actually interesting how personal experiences can vary so much person to person. You love Sony whereas Admin swore them off due to issues. I've had a lot of negative experiences with Sony but I do love their HD CRTs and will ride those until they die. 8-)

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 06:03 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
But for real I have 3 Pioneer players and none of them exhibit this. It's very odd and does make one wonder if there is something screwy in the AU. ;)

haha, yeah probably. Audioboyz you had any digital flutter issues with Pioneers? Like I said it developed in every single Pioneer I've owned. Terrible. Another Pioneer had side change issues, another would stutter the video - > never had these issues with Sony. Once the discs spins with a Sony it's rock solid in my experience. Will play right through and the audio and video will be stable. That's not saying Sonys don't have issues. One of my Sonys refuses to spin up 1 in 10 times. Another 3 Sony players had major tray and door issues that I ended up destroying in the process of trying to fix em.

Anyway my next player will hopefully be a Sony MDP-999. I think a working HIL-C1 or C2EX is too much of a risk.

With you on the HD CRTs Gypsy. Gonna have to prize mine from my cold dead hands! I realise with the comb filter in the KVHR36 I'm actually getting one of the better LD pictures around and I'm using a low end video processor and mid range players.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 13:59 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

So far *knock on wood* I haven't had any player issues but my use case is just 4 players.

I haven't heard of that model, guessing it's specific to Australia. Looks like a Super Fine Pitch model. Honestly with these, I don't think you need the extra processing and I have a bunch of processors (Lumagen HDP, DVDO 30 w/ card, 50pro and Duo and some other projector specific and lesser models) that I could use if I felt it needed it. I think LD looks near perfect on these, and then I have the audio going to separate speakers because the tv speakers are not great though they are decent considering they are built in tv speakers from the early to mid 00s.

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2019, 23:44 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

forper wrote:
Thanks dudes! If it doesn't work out I'll come back and blame you. Thanks again.

Don't try a blowtorch either :lol:

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 02:39 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

gypsy wrote:
So far *knock on wood* I haven't had any player issues but my use case is just 4 players.

I haven't heard of that model, guessing it's specific to Australia. Looks like a Super Fine Pitch model. Honestly with these, I don't think you need the extra processing and I have a bunch of processors (Lumagen HDP, DVDO 30 w/ card, 50pro and Duo and some other projector specific and lesser models) that I could use if I felt it needed it. I think LD looks near perfect on these, and then I have the audio going to separate speakers because the tv speakers are not great though they are decent considering they are built in tv speakers from the early to mid 00s.

Yeah I think in the US it was called a KD36XS955 or something. So you have one?

Yeah I really feel satisfied with the picture on mine, the DVDO basically just allows me to tweak the aspect ratio which is really nice. It also automatically switches video sources which is really nice too so it's essential to me but I have a feeling it does nothing to improve the LD picture, it possibly improves VHS and DVD?

For music LDs which is what I mostly watch I have digital out to my DSP/pre amp then analogue out to my amp and to my good speakers or headphones. For movies with boomy soundtracks I don't like risking my good speakers so I bypass to the TV speakers, which, at least compared to modern TVs, are very satisfactory to me.

I feel really good about my setup right now. Over the years I've been through the KVHR breaking down, all my LD players being out of commission, the DVDO breaking down (PSU issue), my amps having serious issues but finally, finally (and touch a forest of wood) I'm satisfied and content and all I have to do is buy and watch more LDs! 8-)

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2019, 03:27 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

I have similar but not that exact set. I have an xbr800 and 960. The 800 isn't sfp but I don't find that necessary for LD. It's also in amazing basically perfect pq condition whereas the 960 isn't so that's part of it as well.

The extra dvdo controls are quite nice. My duo let's me use a monitor like I would a tv. I don't think it would matter with vhs these sets are just so damn good. Maybe DVD but I've never had a proper DVD player on there so I can't speak to that. I would agree they are better than many built in speakers now. Then again these tv's were over $2000 retail and I'm comparing to kinda lame newer sets for the most part.

For extremely fine listening I have another set-up. I've got to keep that in a room I can keep shut to keep the cats away. Can't be risking Maggies and Parasound gear.

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]