It is currently 01 Dec 2021, 14:16

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Recommendations for "Best of the Best" in Criterion LDs
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 07:50 
Second post
Second post

Hi,
So similar topics have popped up here in the forums in the past but I was wanting to gauge the communities thoughts on the select few laserdiscs from the Criterion Collection that encapsulate the laserdisc collection best. I am in the process of collecting an approximation of what's the "best of the best" of the Criterion laserdiscs out there and wanted some other views on what I should maybe be looking out for. Maybe with a little rationale about why it's significant or where it stands uniquely in the collection or in the format of laserdiscs themselves.
Right now I've set my eyes on a few like Boogie Nights, Se7en, 2001 A Space Odyssey, but I'm curious to know your thoughts about what I should round out the collection with.
Look forward to hearing any recommendations!

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for "Best of the Best" in Criterion LDs
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2021, 15:07 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Its really hard to say, I would say titles like 2001 the CAV box set are up there, but booklets are not as thick as ones today in DVD sets.
You have the real bare minimum and this isn't a bad thing it just makes you focus on actually enjoying the film more than reading about it.

Any of the box sets released in the USA are in my opinion pretty much the same quality, from sets like Criterions Lawrence of Arabia to even The Outer Limits.
Disney did do a little more with things like Fantasia that had prints etc.

Japanese boxes are another story.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]