It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:43

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Criterion Collection LaserDiscs: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 13:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello everyone!

Our very own Daisuke Beppu (dbeppu373) made a video of ALL Criterion releases that I didn't see before.

According to his public collection, that's 391 LDs to go though one by one, front and back cover.

Impressive collection -- and a mountain of patience to make a nearly 2-hour video in a single session!!

どうもありがとうございます、ダイスケさん。

Julien

Post subject: Re: The Criterion Collection LaserDiscs: THE COMPLETE COLLEC
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2019, 16:36 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

this is amazing! That must of been extremely expensive since he's in Japan.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2019, 05:40 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And, as promised at the end of the video, he started reviewing all titles one by one:

Now that I live in Tokyo, I'll try to meet the Japanese King of Criterion Collection!

Julien

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2019, 05:05 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

Nice. Classics on the one true definitive format. The ultimate really. Living the dream in Nippon there

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 03:01 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, Daisuke-san is already at Cat #13!

Still hoping to invite him over for a beer when the state of emergency is lifted!

Julien

PostPosted: 08 May 2020, 06:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Missed this thread when first posted, only just caught up.

What a task & he goes through the DVD & blu-ray releases too!

Well done all round with interesting info on the LD releases that I have seen so far.

Seems like a nice chap too, hope you get the opportunity to catch up with him Julien.

Thanks for posting these.

Cheers :thumbup:

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 13:12 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello everyone.
As many of you I have a special love for the criterion laserdiscs, not only the cav quality or the ac3 surround audio make me feel like it's a superior quality product but the packaging, it's so lovely, I mean, it's impossible to not see one between the rest of your collection radiating classy quality feelings.
The thing is that I've bean purchasing some of my favourite movies the last few months in criterion version, it's bean quite hard actually.
I live in Spain and generally in all Europe getting Laserdiscs is hard and expensive, so imagine criterion laserdiscs, they're more than rough to get with regular prices.
Well, getting to the point, now that I have a few, the dream of having all of them like this nice fellow from Tokyo came across my mind.
So I made a quick search in google and I found that there are missing numbers in the collection.
Why's that, there was special collection stuff that took over the number that was suppose to come next or what?
I'm very confuse right now.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 15:11 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Yes, you are confused. Nobody needs a complete Criterion Collection. It isn’t called “...Collection” because they expected any one person to actually collect them all like Pokémon. NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY likes all these movies. Nobody. I have many Criterion LDs, never in a thousand years did I even think of the idea of buying all of them because I refuse to play several of them. That wasn’t an idea, completionism, sometimes known as collectardation, anyone had until the Star Wars people and the gamer kids invaded the hobby.

So do you like Star Wars and/or what’s you game system of choice, Mega Drive?

Also, most aren’t CAV, almost none have AC-3. Some have absolutely nothing special about them whatsoever and come from very rough masters.

For classic continental European films who’s language you understand I recommend Japanese releasses which often have even nicer covers than Criterion.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 16:40 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I wonder why there are missing spine numbers. I always though the collection started on laserdisc and that would be complete from a spine point of view.
I've been picking up quite a few Criterions lately, either favourites or films I've not seen before, but there's too many to get a full set, especially if the spines won't be complete. It will upset my OCD too much!

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 17:44 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I seriously doubt anyone ever looked at the spines all together until at least 2005 because there were no completionists. Not even Criterion themselves. It’s not Dragonball manga, it’s a library. Getting all of them is an idea newer than The Criterion Collection.

Can you imagine...back in the day, some 1980s Limited Run style collectard trying to get every Criterion? He’s paying $100 a movie for stuff he’s too dumb to understand and has no time to watch anyway but he can’t stop buying them or else there will be a gap...”I finally got both versions of Ghostbusters but I’m still going to have to come up with $60 for Ikiru!” It would cost thousands per year to buy these new.

As for missing numbers, this is common in any series. Things get planned and then cancelled or delayed.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 18:35 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Men, the gundam guy woke up with the wrong feet today. I'm sorry if I'd insulted you in any way.
As you can guess for my previous post, I like to complete stuff with enumeration, it's a kink I got buying comic-books back in the day.
Remember all those x-men crossovers that you didn't had money to bought but were constantly mention in the series you used to read. Since I got my first job I've bean buying all x-men related issues every month for the past 20 years or so.
I know that completism it's not the sanest hobby in the list, but aren't they all bad in some way?

Well anyway, thank you so much for your answer.

PD: Btw, yes, you nearly got it, my favourite console is the sega saturn, but I'm not a really a videogame guy anyway, to gave you peek the game I've spend more hours of my life playing is Dance Dance Revolution in arcades.

PD1: I'm more of an star trek fan, I really love cheesy science fiction

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 19:05 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The X-Men were invented by Marvel Comics. They have a number on the comics because they were all made by the same people and that’s the order they came out in, more or less the order they were made in. If the March Issue is #1 then the March issue of the next year will be #13...no matter what they have, who drew it, what the quality is, etc. It takes four people a month to make an XMen comic book and 10 min to read it.

Criterion is a group of films from dozens of directors, dozens of production companies, a thousand actors, over a century of film world-wide. Criterion didn’t make any of these movies and it owns none of them. Every disc made represents the brief period of time where they had a license and many will never be issued again (Ghostbusters, The Rock, Bladerunner, etc). None of the directors are on staff. Some were made by the Hollywood meat grinder, some were made on shoestring budgets under fascist regimes. Some of the filmmakers were persecuted for the movies they made. Many movies Criterion put out are extremely difficult to watch...X-Men was is for kids.

If every Criterion LD was #384 Armageddon, then there would be a comparison to X-Men.

The Saturn is one of my favorite systems, second only to Neo Geo probably, IMO.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 21:38 
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Then again I remember when collecting you skipped all the X-men until 93? when the Cockrum stuff came out, that Giant size and new characters started it
off again.

Skip the fat and keep the good stuff, even when collecting bubblegum cards you only collect the valuable ones or the teams you like not the sucky teams.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2021, 23:17 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

I guess I stopped looking for back issues of series I liked when they got to be $150 per issue if not $1,500 or $150,000. I was more of a DC guy so...1970 or so was about as far back as I went. The pre-war stuff is nuts.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 08:16 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Thank you for your replies, you're very nice people at the end. And it's true, one can't compare the effort and resources of a comic-book issue to the one of a film. Actually I'm a very big fan of Roberto Rossellini films, and as you say, this ones were a whole historical movement by it self that can't be compare to anything we can do this days with the actual freedom of expression we have in most of the world. (Don't take me wrong, I know that there's still a lot of problems in the world to be resolved and this only apply mostly in what we call the First World)

By the way, if you are interest in golden era comic-book stuff, you should check out the marvel masterworks that has bean realising the past few years.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2021, 18:59 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Your avatar looks like John Byrne era She Hulk. Are there a lot of fans of American comics in Spain? What is that scene like?

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2021, 19:54 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Of course it's the John Byrne era she-hulk. As you may know Panini is the editorial that got the rights for marvel in almost all Europe; because of this, the publication of marvel comics is pretty good. We're only a couple of issues delayed respect usa publication and the quality of this ones are in my opinion even better than the originals, you know, better paper and plastic covers. For the old stuff they publish way less than what you can get in english, but they're making really good editions so I think it's worth it to wait two years for the next OmniGold of any series if the material is good.
On the other hand other usa editorials like DC or Image are not that lucky. In the case DC almost in every country a different editorial bought the rights for DC publishing and they are inconsistent as f**k, to give you an idea in Spain we've had three different editorials in the past ten years. Old stuff is almost impossible to get and the they only publish what they know is going to shell well of the new stuff, so yeah... pretty lame.
Last but not least I should talk about independent comic-book creators like the ones from Image, Dark horse or Boom studios. Since the publication rights are own by the authors, every single series is edited by a different publisher, and because of that, only the really huge comic books come through, like Saga, Paper Girls and things like that (Brian K. fan, sorry not sorry).
Most of as who really like independent comic books order directly usa issues from the Previews catalog, but their shipping methodology is really poor. For example, I've bean waiting for Adventure man #3 since it release and I already got the number 4, so it's a damn mess basically.

All of this is because USA comic-books are not trending right now, apart for some hard-cover specially published for a movie release or something, almost nobody buy this stuff monthly like me.

On the other side manga is hitting real hard right now, there's more publication than ever and the sells are actually really good. But to be honest, now days manga is not for me anymore. In high school I studied some Japanese and I even got the Noken 4 certificate but I got tired of the new releases. Don't take me wrong, manga it's not bad at all, as matter of fact I'm a good fan of the Gundam series (especially UC era) or the movies of Satoshi Kon, but anyhow I'm not so interested right now.

I've wrote all this real quickly so sorry for my broken English in advance.
By the way, I'm thinking of going abroad to the US once I finish my collage degree to work a couple months there and see how are things around. I was thinking of going to Dallas, Texas because of a scholarship I'm after.
Would you guys like to share your thoughts on the matter?

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2023, 17:06 
First post
First post

I wonder if Sweet Movie '75 is on LD... :hmm

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2023, 23:26 
True fan
True fan

make wrote:
I've wrote all this real quickly so sorry for my broken English in advance.

This is a million lightyears away from broken english...cheers :-)

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]