It is currently 13 May 2024, 20:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Laserdisc Extended Resolution
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 17:13 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

(I'm guessing this is the proper section of the forum to post this)

Does anyone know much about the once proposed "Laserdisc Extended Resolution" format (LD-XR)?

I've only ever found two sources for it this page:

http://laservideodisc.tripod.com/advanc ... s/id1.html

And a post in the AVS forum from a user who had the logos (is this the same Disclord on this forum?):

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 35&page=10

It seemed pretty promising from the description on the laservideodisc page; 480p capable with 200 lines of color resolution. I'm guessing this never got past the testing phase since MUSE came out shortly afterwards. Along with DVD.

Post subject: Re: Laserdisc Extended Resolution
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2011, 17:52 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Both the AVS Forum post & the website are from the same person, who is indeed LDDb member "Disclord". I have corresponded with him quite a bit. Pretty much, what he has posted there is what is known "in the wild" about this development of the LD format. It went along with the rash of EDTV proposals in the mid- to late 1980s, the introduction of progressive-scan TVs, & so forth.

Parts of the LD-XR concept appeared in other places ; for example, the CDV had, even in NTSC, only the digital audio tracks, so the bandwidth limit for video was considerably relaxed (no danger of interference with the AFM audio channels). And I understand that at least one of the LD pressing plants, in the 1990s, used double-sideband color encoding, with wider bandwidth in the Q component (when mastering from component video). Of course, that only helped if you had a color decoder in your TV which could accept it. I don't know whether any plants used the Faroudja Super-NTSC encoder, which made deinterlacing much easier by reducing dot crawl & cross-chroma. And, of course, there was "Squeeze" LD.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]