It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:18

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can CD Videos experience laser rot?
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 11:32 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Yesterday I tried to watch the video track on the one CD video I own (or have even seen, for that matter).

It seems to have deteriorated very badly. If it was a full sized laserdisc, I would assume it was suffering from laser rot, but I don't know if these little things can have that problem.

Does anyone else here have any of these discs? If so, have any of them deteriorated like this?

I have uploaded the video to Youtube so you can see what it currently looks - and sounds - like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfhmOFs1KUU

Post subject: Re: Can CD Videos experience laser rot?
PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 14:10 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

CD Videos are exactly the same thing as a laserdisc so yes they can suffer from laser rot.
Worse still many European branded CD Videos were made by Philips DuPont Optical (PDO) - the gold coloured discs and suffered from a fate far worse than laser rot.
Unlike laser rot which is not detectable by the eye, these gold discs often oxidised and turned brown. If you were lucky this only happened around the edges where the seal was not good but if you were unlucky the whole disc could turn bronze.

Last edited by laserdisc_fan on 14 Aug 2012, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 16:26 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

Ah, yes, PDO... :evil:

I worked in a classical CD shop for many years; I saw many, many bronzed PDO discs. I should have made the connection.

This one doesn't actually look bronzed (it's definitely gold, not brown) but it is a PDO pressing, so that's almost certainly the problem.

Thanks for the information!

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 16:52 
Most pal cd video ive seen have all black spots on the outside edge of the disc AKA laserrot

Also the gold ones

dunno if there was a verry bad plant who did al the cd video stuff in europe

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 17:09 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

The big question is if CVDs can not rot since most of them seem to be gone at this point, especially the Euro ones. This sucks because I'd really like to have New Order: True Faith (1987) [FACDV 183] and The Timelords: Doctorin' the Tardis but I don't want them bad enough to spend money on known rotters.

My copy of Best of Bubblegum Crisis Music 2 [CTV24-112] has no rot.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2012, 20:29 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a few CDV and some of mine do have rot. Just the video track on them though. The audio tracks still play ok on the rotted ones.

From the few I have the Japan made ones don't have any rot. I'm not sure if any Japan made CDV (or VSD) ones did rot? Maybe other members might know, but that might be a better choice taking a chance on one.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2012, 08:39 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

My Jerry Harrison CDV definitely has rot on it, the sound on the video is awful.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 02:55 
Honest fan
Honest fan

I used to have a lot of 5 inch CDV's made by PDO. All of them rotted even to the point that the audio tracks didn't play either.
The worst title that comes to mind is "Elton John: Healing Hands".
Laserrot is always associated with the glue bonding the two discs. This doesn't make sense when explaining why these 5" discs have all rotted away...
Of the 12 inch titles made by PDO many of them have dark spots on the disc, but strangely enough this does not seem to affect playback. I have discs that have completely turned bronze ( Early UK Laservision discs from Fox) and they still play perfectly.
Many of the Dutch laserdiscs from Paramount and Universal released in the Early nineties by Philips/CIC have this bronzing around the edges too.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 11:08 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

Notice all the 5" CDVs that rotted were gold coloured not silver.
None made in Japan were gold coloured - they were silver and they did not rot. All my Japanese 5" CDVs play perfectly.

PDO CDs were just as bad in the late 80's and early 90's - many of them turned bronze around the edges and stopped playing altogether.
I had to send back a tonne of PDO CDs for repressing. Some CD singles I never got repressed as they didn't have the masters anymore to repress.
There were all sorts of rumours like chemicals/dyes in the paper sleeves /inserts reacting with the discs.
Also those early PDO discs did not seem to have the same durable protective lacquer coating that other CDs had that may been a factor in them oxidising more rapidly.

Ultimately it is comes down to quality issues.
European and US plants did not know how to manufacture a quality product, Japan did.
That shouldn't come as any great surprise given that has always been the case.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012, 12:38 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I even have a disc where the aluminium layer is disintegrating creating holes in the layer and edges.

I agree the best 5 inch pressings are the Pioneer Japan discs, the worst are the PDO UK plant, a bit better are the MPO France discs.

Attachments:
cdv_rot.jpg
cdv_rot.jpg [ 79.07 KiB | Viewed 6415 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2012, 00:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
Notice all the 5" CDVs that rotted were gold coloured not silver.
None made in Japan were gold coloured - they were silver and they did not rot. All my Japanese 5" CDVs play perfectly.

Actually, my CDV-singles from Japan are gold colour (although the VSDs are not), but it is the plastic, not the metal, that is coloured. Contrariwise, my David Bowie SOUND+VISION disc has gold-tone metal.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 08:32 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Many of the Dutch CIC releases made by PDO suffer from this type of dark stains on the discs but do not affect playback on my LD players.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 08:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

On some you can even see the pattern on how the glue was applied in rasters and around the edges instead of completely glueing the discs together.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 11:51 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

belturner wrote:
Many of the Dutch CIC releases made by PDO suffer from this type of dark stains on the discs but do not affect playback on my LD players.

Yeah those are good examples of what someone might expect to see if you start collecting European PAL LDs.

I've actually one disc which was so poorly bonded the sides fell apart and another where you can see massive bubbling underneath the surface of the disc like the aluminium reacted with something - probably the water based glue. Amazingly this monstrosity actually still plays even though the surface looks like a moon crater which does make me wonder what actually causes those black flecks and speckles which are undetectable from inspection of an actual LD.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 14:07 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Actually I wouldn't generalise this. I don't think I have any Pioneer LDCE PAL laserdisc that has rotted and I have a lot of them.
Also surprisingly the PAL discs from Columbia Tristar in Belgium which were pressed at DADC do not have any rot, with the exception of "Hannah and her sisters".
The worst discs are the Cascar discs made in Japan. There is not one release from Cascar that is not affected, with the exception of the few first titles released (National Geographic discs and a few movies) which were pressed by... PDO !!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 14:19 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

belturner wrote:
Actually I wouldn't generalise this. I don't think I have any Pioneer LDCE PAL laserdisc that has rotted and I have a lot of them.
Also surprisingly the PAL discs from Columbia Tristar in Belgium which were pressed at DADC do not have any rot, with the exception of "Hannah and her sisters".

I'd agree Pioneer & Sony European pressings were generally high quality and reliable. The only downside was there were very few really interesting or rare titles pressed by those companies in Europe. Many of the most desirable early PAL titles are risky to buy as they were pressed by other companies.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2012, 16:24 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
I'd agree Pioneer & Sony European pressings were generally high quality and reliable. The only downside was there were very few really interesting or rare titles pressed by those companies in Europe.

Movie related I fully agree with you, Music related Sony DADC pressed very good french Music titles, not available on NTSC.

I also would like to add the MPO plant with very good quality pressings and many very interesting french music releases.

The MPO plant was mainly used for french releases, however a number of Encore UK PAL releases were pressed there as well.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2012, 05:04 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Encore laserdisc releases were great. Very nice quality covers (similar to Japanese discs) and discs often included trailers.

Page 1 of 1 [ 18 posts ]