It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:40

Page 1 of 7 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Squeeze LD
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 02:30 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Anyone out there have any Squeeze LD discs? :)

I was lucky enough to pickup the four available in the US. I believe they are Grumpy Old Men, Unforgiven, Free Willy, and The Fugitive. I found them all at the same shop actually! Free Willy was the only one that was not sealed so I gave it for a test play. I watched it on my Panasonic 42" Plasma and I was surprised at the quality. Sure it was using only a composite video signal, but it looked pretty good! Especially for a LaserDisc on a standard-definition signal!

If you have any in your collection I'd love to find out your experience with them. :D

Post subject: Re: Squeeze LD
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 02:43 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I've got Alaska The Last Frontier. Cost me 68.00 plus shipping :shock: but that was the cheapest I could find it and it still had the round red 16x9 squeeze sticker. The picture quality is amazing even on a cheap LD player.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 03:41 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I have a copy of Concert for Bangladesh and the copy is almost perfect. So many music discs are really nice. The concert isnt Squeeze but another, regardless, nice to know that this isnt isolated!

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 04:16 
Site Admin
Site Admin

vinylcollector wrote:
I've got Alaska The Last Frontier. Cost me 68.00 plus shipping :shock: but that was the cheapest I could find it and it still had the round red 16x9 squeeze sticker. The picture quality is amazing even on a cheap LD player.

Been trying to find it on Hi-Vision but never could.

The Squeezed LD is indeed wonderfully beautiful.

Julien

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 04:59 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

admin wrote:
vinylcollector wrote:

Been trying to find it on Hi-Vision but never could.

The Squeezed LD is indeed wonderfully beautiful.

Julien

There was one Alaska Hi-Vision on e-bay once. I still have the picture I saved of it with the gatefold open, and it came in a cool digi-pak LD case. Checking the date with my saved picture comes up as Oct 2007 so that was 4 years ago.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 10:45 
Knows how to post
Knows how to post

I found a copy of The Fugitive for $2 at a local trade store. :D Picture is very nice.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 18:42 
Honest fan
Honest fan

sartana wrote:
I found a copy of The Fugitive for $2 at a local trade store. :D Picture is very nice.

Cool! I maybe paid $4 or $5 or so each for my Squeeze LD titles. I saw them on eBay for $100 or so each (with no bids of course) so it's hard to gauge how valuable they are. I mean for one they are promotional discs and they are Squeeze LDs. Someone was asking for $30 each for all of mine, but like I mentioned before I'll probably hang onto them for now. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 20:23 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

limeibook86 wrote:
sartana wrote:

Cool! I maybe paid $4 or $5 or so each for my Squeeze LD titles. I saw them on eBay for $100 or so each (with no bids of course) so it's hard to gauge how valuable they are. I mean for one they are promotional discs and they are Squeeze LDs. Someone was asking for $30 each for all of mine, but like I mentioned before I'll probably hang onto them for now. :thumbup:

Just the USA ones though. The Japan Squeeze ones you could actually buy. Going by the price on the Obi on my Japan Alaska one it would have sold for about 50.00 USD new.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2011, 07:43 
Honest fan
Honest fan

Try to list what I have:

T2 (THX)
T2
Cliffhanger
Cutthroat Island
Basic Instinct
The Fugative (US)

I parted $200 to get T2 (THX) :crazy:

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 00:12 
Try to get STARGATE Squeeze....amazing...

T2 THX and Non THX are also FANTASTIC....

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 06:56 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Just picked up a LD with squeeze on it. It is called the best of the Cutting Edge. I havent watched it yet but it could be a live showing. I will let you know.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 15:39 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

I have heard of one oddity "Squeeze" disc that wasn't really so, but it was.

I was reading the LD forum on a horror movie forum. Guy just got a Hong Kong LD of a Hong Kong movie. Was watching it, but noticed that the picture wasn't quite right on his plasma TV (he was watching it with the sidebars.) He saw that there was a sign on the screen that was supposed to be a circle, but showed up as a bit of an ellipse/oval. He surmised that the picture on this LD was anamorphically squeezed so he stretched the picture on his plasma. Voila! Perfect picture!

I can't recall what movie it was though.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 16:13 
Serious fan
Serious fan

elahrairrah wrote:
I have heard of one oddity "Squeeze" disc that wasn't really so, but it was.

I was reading the LD forum on a horror movie forum. Guy just got a Hong Kong LD of a Hong Kong movie. Was watching it, but noticed that the picture wasn't quite right on his plasma TV (he was watching it with the sidebars.) He saw that there was a sign on the screen that was supposed to be a circle, but showed up as a bit of an ellipse/oval. He surmised that the picture on this LD was anamorphically squeezed so he stretched the picture on his plasma. Voila! Perfect picture!

I can't recall what movie it was though.

I also saw on a blog I was reading that the person owned a copy of Jaws 3 and Jaws The Revenge and according to them, they are both squeezed and distorted, but if you use wide mode on a HD tv, they fix themselves and look right.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2011, 16:19 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Allegedly there are a few of these, such as the original Disney release of The Black Hole, which were transferred with geometrically distorted video. They'll probably still be a bit odd looking unsqueezed to 16:9 if they started out Scope ratio, but it's better than nothing.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2011, 05:28 
Serious fan
Serious fan

I have The Unforgiven and paid about $12 for it. I bought it just so I could have a squeeze title in my collection. I believe the four US squeeze titles all came out in 1993, which is four years before anamorphic DVDs were available. I really wish there were many, many more squeeze titles released. There was so much untapped potential to help widescreen films on LD keep up the fight with DVD. If only widescreen TVs were the norm 10-15 years earlier, we would have seen hundreds of squeeze releases.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 16:29 
True fan
True fan

I have the Squeeze version The Fugitive. My personal opinion is that Squeeze discs don't work for laserdisc. Squeeze discs fill the entire screen and I know some people like that, I don't. The larger surface area tends to lead to more smudging or blurring with laserdisc. My preference is for letterbox or anamorphic ratios that don't entirely fill the screen. This goes even for dvd, blu and hd as well. With these discs I wouldn't get the blurring problem but they just look esthetically better. A 2:35 or 1:66 looks best to me.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2011, 02:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I have a Sony demonstration disc "Evolution" in the mail to me, hopefully will come monday, which has 4:3 on side A and side B same program for 16:9 wide screen TV which I'm thinking will be squeeze.

Soon as it comes I will find out.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2011, 02:54 
remington wrote:
I have the Squeeze version The Fugitive. My personal opinion is that Squeeze discs don't work for laserdisc. Squeeze discs fill the entire screen and I know some people like that, I don't. The larger surface area tends to lead to more smudging or blurring with laserdisc. My preference is for letterbox or anamorphic ratios that don't entirely fill the screen. This goes even for dvd, blu and hd as well. With these discs I wouldn't get the blurring problem but they just look esthetically better. A 2:35 or 1:66 looks best to me.

I've never viewed a squeeze LD but I'm not sure I understand your post. You're stating a preference non 16:9 or 1.85:1 aspect ratios, but my understanding is that Squeeze LDs will still retain their original aspect ratios. Squeeze Discs like Cliffhanger or Unforgiven will still be 2.35:1 with black bars on the top and bottom. All anamorphic enhancement or LD squeeze does is remove the vertical black bars on the sides of a 16:9 display so that the image will fit without using the enlarge or zoom feature resulting in a more detailed and higher resolution image.

Are you saying you watch your normal LDs non-zoomed with black bars on all 4 sides and this is what you prefer?

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 19:27 
True fan
True fan

ucfmatt: Squeeze discs fill the entire screen, correct. Squeeze discs (or at least the one I have) are not 2:32 with "black bars". In the world of dvd and blu ray there are anamorphic discs that do not fill the entire screen with the tv set at 16:9. Planet Of The Apes comes to mind but there are many, many others. What anamorphic does is expand the aspect ratio and eliminate the old "letterbox" look that personally I don't mind. If you zoom on a letterbox laserdisc you lose pq, contrary to what some believe. This does not "result in a more detailed and higher resolution image."

Squeeze laserdiscs especially on a digital tv blur and smudge much more than a letterbox image. This is because you have now maximized the image area on a format (laserdisc) that has almost half the resolution capability of dvd. When the first squeeze discs where released (4 of them) in the US they were promotional discs. You could only get them with the purchase of a new Toshiba widescreen tv. Toshiba was pushing the sale of the "new" widescreen era of tvs. Dvds were not prominent. Almost all laserdiscs had black bars and many people didn't understand that who were not "artsy". Also, the general public did not buy laserdiscs like in Japan (a big reason for their demise).

Those new squeeze discs now filled the entire screen making it more appealing to those viewers. But, that didn't mean it was technically better. I can't speak to Japanese squeeze discs because I don't have any. When I watch a laserdisc I don't have black bars on "all 4 sides" just top and bottom. What I am saying about dvds is that I would rather watch an anamorphic disc that does not fill the screen or a letterbox one because it looks better to my eye. Of course I have still have to watch many films with the screen filled. If you watch a movie like Predator on blu ray the screen is entirely filled. Watch it on laser and it's letterboxed. The movie is sharper on blu ray but the letterboxed image on the laserdisc just looks wider. What I'm trying to express is my preference for a "wider look." It's all good.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 20:34 
remington wrote:
ucfmatt: Squeeze discs fill the entire screen, correct. Squeeze discs (or at least the one I have) are not 2:32 with "black bars". In the world of dvd and blu ray there are anamorphic discs that do not fill the entire screen with the tv set at 16:9. Planet Of The Apes comes to mind but there are many, many others. What anamorphic does is expand the aspect ratio and eliminate the old "letterbox" look that personally I don't mind. If you zoom on a letterbox laserdisc you lose pq, contrary to what some believe. This does not "result in a more detailed and higher resolution image."

I disagree with this. The squeeze process, to my understanding, does nothing to affect the aspect ratio of the film. It's the same princpal as with non-anamorphic DVDs vs anamorphic ones. The squeeze enhances the image so that you don't have do zoom (proportionally all the way around) to get the image to display "correctly" on a 16:9 screen.

Quote:
Squeeze laserdiscs especially on a digital tv blur and smudge much more than a letterbox image. This is because you have now maximized the image area on a format (laserdisc) that has almost half the resolution capability of dvd.

That's what I do now when watching my regular LDs. I'm not losing any of the image at all, I'm simply zooming the picture to fit the screen. The aspect ratio remains unchanged.

Quote:
When the first squeeze discs where released (4 of them) in the US they were promotional discs. You could only get them with the purchase of a new Toshiba widescreen tv. Toshiba was pushing the sale of the "new" widescreen era of tvs. Dvds were not prominent. Almost all laserdiscs had black bars and many people didn't understand that who were not "artsy". Also, the general public did not buy laserdiscs like in Japan (a big reason for their demise).

Those new squeeze discs now filled the entire screen making it more appealing to those viewers. But, that didn't mean it was technically better. I can't speak to Japanese squeeze discs because I don't have any. When I watch a laserdisc I don't have black bars on "all 4 sides" just top and bottom. What I am saying about dvds is that I would rather watch an anamorphic disc that does not fill the screen or a letterbox one because it looks better to my eye. Of course I have still have to watch many films with the screen filled. If you watch a movie like Predator on blu ray the screen is entirely filled. Watch it on laser and it's letterboxed. The movie is sharper on blu ray but the letterboxed image on the laserdisc just looks wider. What I'm trying to express is my preference for a "wider look." It's all good.

Predator fills a 16:9 screen because the aspect ratio is 1.85:1. It will retain this aspect ratio whether you watch it on widescreen VHS, LD, DVD, or Blu. Unforgiven is 2.35:1 and will always have the top and bottom black bars regardless of format. Squeeze does nothing to change this.

Anamorphic DVDs look way better on 16:9 TVs because they are formatted for displays with those dimensions. I think the same thing would apply to Squeeze LDs.

Page 1 of 7 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next