It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 09:09

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: The first laserdisc computer game... Rollercoaster!
PostPosted: 28 Dec 2012, 17:44 
Thought this might be interesting to those who are interested in some of the more esoteric early uses of laserdisc. What was the first laserdisc computer game? While researching early "interactive movie" games a long time ago, I ran across this article: Adventures in Videoland, originally published in the January 1982 issue of Creative Computing. Given publishing lead times, this means that the game was done (and probably on newsstands) in 1981. Gather an Apple II, a proper laserdisc player and interface, a copy of Rollercoaster (1977) [11-009], type in the program listed after the article, and you get the first published laserdisc game.

As a disclosure, I added this info to Wikipedia's relevant articles ages ago when I first ran across this information, so it's possible that the few here that would be interested in such things would already be aware of this. Frustratingly, one other neat bit of info -- Quarter Horse beat Astron Belt to market as the first laserdisc arcade game by several months in 1982 -- keeps getting edited out of Wikipedia articles, perpetuating the misinformation that Astron Belt was the first.

Post subject: Re: The first laserdisc computer game... Rollercoaster!
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 17:14 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Annoyingly I no longer have a laserdisc player with a serial interface or I might be tempted to try that. There's a free interpreted basic for Mac, you'd just need a Mac-compatible USB serial adapter.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 19:24 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Huh! I might have to try this with my V8000...

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2014, 21:13 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

ffutures wrote:
Annoyingly I no longer have a laserdisc player with a serial interface or I might be tempted to try that. There's a free interpreted basic for Mac, you'd just need a Mac-compatible USB serial adapter.

would it work with a PowerMac G5 with OS X 10.5.8 leopard or do is need a OS 9 to run?

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2014, 21:09 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

xtempo wrote:
ffutures wrote:

would it work with a PowerMac G5 with OS X 10.5.8 leopard or do is need a OS 9 to run?

Sorry - for some reason I previously missed this - it runs under 10.4 on an imac G4, I've no reason to think your hardware would have problems. It's called Chipmunk Basic:

www.nicholson.com/rhn/basic

Unfortunately it turned out not to support direct access to ports at all, not even USB let alone RS-232, so I suspect that this isn't going to be practical.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2021, 16:57 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

I have tried the game with my Mac (i have an Apple IIe card inside) and a V2600 player.

There is a modified version who can use the serial protocol !

It's in french, but i have made a little video

https://www.journaldulapin.com/2021/10/ ... -apple-ii/

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]