It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:21

Page 1 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: MUSE Hi-Vision resources - the website I never built.
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 23:23 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Hello,

Found this site while perusing MUSE LDs (which I do from time to time), and interesting to see people are still into MUSE LD. I stopped collecting (and liquidated) about 10 years ago, but I began collecting in the late 90s, and amassed a substantial collection. Everything from the regular releases, to demo discs, to the NEC Fish Club format, and even had some HDVS discs (which aren't Hi-Vision of course).

I amassed quite a collection of photos, brochures, etc. and was intent on building a website as a central MUSE resource, but never got around to it. With this group active, I figured I'll find a way to spread out what I have. Unfortunately my files are too large, so for now, I've got them on a file transfer service.

First up: MUSE Hi-Vision catalogs (PDF format) from 1995 and 1996. Download link is here: http://we.tl/Wezd4a1LRc

If there's continued interest I'll either put more up or if someone wants to host, send to them on the stipulation that they make it available to everyone here.

Another MUSE collector (former) I noticed still has the "reviews" I did of MUSE LD discs from over a decade ago, and over time, I'll release not only MUSE Hi-Vision, but what I have for HDVS as well as NEC Fish Club (which was HI-Vision based). Maybe I'll even share the story of 'cleaning' out Sony Pictures in Culver City who had dozens of brand new Hi-Vision discs of Sony movies (save your breath - I do not have these anymore).

Post subject: Re: MUSE Hi-Vision resources - the website I never built.
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 23:38 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

Beautiful! Thank you!

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 23:55 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

I got myself into collecting MUSE discs this year myself as I now have an XO at home.

Tell me, do you still have some of those HDVS discs ?

I reallly appreciate you joining this forum. Thanks ! If you have some doubles you wish to sell please let me know :)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 03:21 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Excellent! Looking forward to reading more!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 04:25 
Site Admin
Site Admin

museld wrote:
First up: MUSE Hi-Vision catalogs (PDF format) from 1995 and 1996.

That's very cool!

Already updated the missing street dates on some of the titles of the 1995/96 catalog.

Interestingly, the 1995 catalog is showing the HDVS version cover of Sony: The Test Disc [00QW-9061] instead of the MUSE version of Sony: The Test Disc (1995) [00MW-0009].

Different fish!

In the 1996 one, the cover got back to the normal one.

Julien

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 05:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Added here:

http://catalogs.lddb.com/

Julien

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 06:55 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

admin wrote:
museld wrote:
Interestingly, the 1995 catalog is showing the HDVS version cover of Sony: The Test Disc [00QW-9061] instead of the MUSE version of Sony: The Test Disc (1995) [00MW-0009].

Different fish!

In the 1996 one, the cover got back to the normal one.

Julien

And here is a link to the HDVS catalog I have. You'll notice the HDVS discs cost ~ (USD) $9,300 each - but these included broadcast rights with the discs. The 3D discs (yes, 3D which one of my favorites, Tahiti is available) are just over $19,000 each. And yes, you'd need two HDL-2000 players to get the 3D signal. Also included some of the HDVS and higher end equipment.

http://we.tl/1l8LMYtwce

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 07:00 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

confederate wrote:
I got myself into collecting MUSE discs this year myself as I now have an XO at home.

Tell me, do you still have some of those HDVS discs ?

I reallly appreciate you joining this forum. Thanks ! If you have some doubles you wish to sell please let me know :)

No more discs or equipment. I owned both Sony players, the X9 and the X0, and I noticed that the X0 reduced the green tinge you see in the movies. Go figure. Sony players, IMO were not only as good as the X9, but even NTSC discs, these did as well or better than the Pioneer S9 and for a fraction of the cost. Panasonic OEM'd the Sony players for themselves too.

Once on eBay, I got outbid at the last second for 20 HDVS discs - I only had one disc (some river type fish disc) but it wasn't very good looking. I think it was shot with very early HD equipment, because the later stuff looked considerably better. The cherry blossom discs really look like unconverted Betacam footage than HD, and the HDVS disc I had looked similar (even had very slim black horizontal bars so that could explain it).

The scenery discs are the best. The Fish Club discs are hit and miss. The movie discs, again, hit and miss (Top Gun is the worst I've ever encountered). The only movie disc I never, ever came across was Death Becomes Her. Wolf, another hard one to find, I got in a stash I retrieved from Sony Pictures.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 07:20 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

This link now has equipment brochures (Sony, Pioneer) and some misc other items.

http://we.tl/snpcoobx1J

Headed to sleep, more on Friday.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 08:06 
True fan
True fan

Thank you for sharing. I was not even that it has heard or saw these catalogs.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 10:40 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Awesome stuff, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 12:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thank you for sharing this! I fairly recently discovered this format. Found it very interesting and got my self a decoder for my HLD-X9, currently only have a scenery disc of Greece that I got for free. Movies are just so ridiculously expensive. 300 bucks for one movie on average, it seems. Would love to have a few titles, but it is going to take a while when it is that expensive.

I actually own the HLD-X9 brochure that is in one of the archives. Got it with my player. Can't read Japanese well, but fun to have things like that.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 15:28 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

Does the Sony HDVS player play Hi-Vision LDs?

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 15:31 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

Thank you for sharing all these.

I only wish I could read those reviews and magazine articles!!

Maybe I need to enrol myself in a Japanese language course :-)

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 16:07 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

substance wrote:
Does the Sony HDVS player play Hi-Vision LDs?

I think that's technically not feasible. I thnk you can actually connect the HDVS to your TV via component cable.

I would actually love to see a rip of a HDVS disc !!!

I have never ever seen a HDVS disc on a picture let alone seen one in action.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 21:42 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

This is marvellous stuff. I have one working HIL-C2EX, & have found the schematic for the adjustment jig needed to bring its alignment in better. I also have a Panasonic LX-HD20, which is the same player, missing the entire upper disc clamp assembly. I'm going to try to build one -- pray for me!

Incidentally, it's not possible for the HDL-2000 to play MUSE or NTSC discs, because it relies on reading two tracks side-by-side. So even if the electronics were compatible, the optics aren't.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 04:32 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

samaron wrote:
Thank you for sharing this! I fairly recently discovered this format. Found it very interesting and got my self a decoder for my HLD-X9, currently only have a scenery disc of Greece that I got for free. Movies are just so ridiculously expensive.

Greece along with the Cherry Blossom discs I'm convinced are Betacam up converts. Get another scenery disc (my favorites were always the Sony Test Disc, Fish Face Exhibition, Ordinary Europe, Ferrari of the Art), these will trounce the picture quality of the Greece disc. Then you'll see what Hi-Vision is capable of.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 04:40 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

publius wrote:
This is marvellous stuff. I have one working HIL-C2EX, & have found the schematic for the adjustment jig needed to bring its alignment in better. I also have a Panasonic LX-HD20, which is the same player, missing the entire upper disc clamp assembly. I'm going to try to build one -- pray for me!

Yep - Sony OEM'd to Panasonic and NEC (for the Fish Club series) their players. Pioneer OEM'd their player I believe to Mitsubishi (the X9 - but can't remember). My latest upload i have a list and pictures (incomplete) of players from Sharp, but I've seen other Pioneer players (HLD-V700, etc.). If you download the latest and last of the Hi-Vision (sans NEC Fish Club that'll come next), you can see a whole slew of players many weren't aware of. But the Sony players were fantastic (and at the time, 1/10 the cost of an X9 back in early 2000s). I don't care what anyone says, they looked as good as my X9, and they did an amazing job like the X9 playing back NTSC discs. I remember buying (without shipping which wasn't cheap) Sony HIL series players from Japan for $200-$300 compared to 10x ++ for the X9 series.

I also have photos of a variety of different MUSE decoders. The Sony photos are mine, and I had all 4 Sony MUSE decoders (MST-1000/2000, MSC-3000/4000), never saw a difference in testing between any of them or the laserdisc players (except the X0). I tested on a Sony 28" PHM reference series monitor at the time.

Finally, they're old and may not be accurate, but I posted a Hi-Vision FAQ and disc list I wrote and edited so long ago (again, may not be accurate anymore). But one thing I noticed, for example, Breakfast at Tiffany's had not only a B-mode soundtrack, but also a regular analog track that could be played right off the disc/player. Only disc I'm aware of like that, while on the opposite end, you have Tahiti, which only had A-Mode (4 channel) soundtrack, and no EFM track.

Someone wanted to see an HDVS disc, inside the download there's a picture of the box and the case.

http://we.tl/iETBMhqVKn

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 04:56 
Young Padawan
Young Padawan

publius wrote:

Incidentally, it's not possible for the HDL-2000 to play MUSE or NTSC discs, because it relies on reading two tracks side-by-side. So even if the electronics were compatible, the optics aren't.

I meant this player, Sony HIL-C1. It has HDVS, Hi-Vision LD and Laserdisc logos on the front face.
Attachment:
C1.jpg
C1.jpg [ 88.85 KiB | Viewed 9033 times ]

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2015, 05:03 
Shows curiousity
Shows curiousity

substance wrote:
publius wrote:

I meant this player, Sony HIL-C1. It has HDVS, Hi-Vision LD and Laserdisc logos on the front face.
Attachment:
C1.jpg

Yes that one plays Hi-Vision

Page 1 of 2 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next