It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:53

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any way make 5" VSD/CD-V LaserDisc?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 00:36 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Just started looking into all the size of LDs from 12" to 8" but never known too much on the 5" disc that are just CD-ROM for the most part & are setup more or less like LDs.

So I thinking (just for fun) can we make are own 5" LaserDisc in the same from in a some way? (or can we just make backups of others?) Its analog video & digital sound, so we need a way to make the analog video for it.

Post subject: Re: Any way make 5" VSD/CD-V LaserDisc?
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 01:10 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

There is almost nothing in common between CDV and CD-ROM. CDVs are audio CDs for a few mm and then standard LD for the rest. CD-ROM is all digital with a file system and parity bits and all that stuff.

There is no known way to burn a CDV, this has been brought up here many times as the most likely method. So far we haven't had a senior optical disc engineer or anyone like that contribute to the topic so we don't really know how hard it would be. It would require absolute expertise of the lowest level of CD-ROM operation, clearly, since CDROM drives don't usually burn infinitely variable pits and lands, for starters.

https://youtu.be/b3O-vHpHRpM

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 04:37 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Sounds a lot like a GD-ROM then, it like a CD-ROM for the most part but burner can't read them but they do a some CD audio at the start & sometimes photos & text files. (GD-ROM is the disc type used on the Sega Dreamcast & Naomi, holds 1.2GB of Data on CD like hardware)

That was what I was thinking, sadly it looks like we don't have much hope for anything new on LaserDisc... however we got more or less all the greats from 2002 & back, so I'm happy.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 05:11 
Absolute fan
Absolute fan

CDV-R existed at a prototype/patent level at least, and IIRC the patent used a special blank.

And sadly, it wouldn't be very practical... a regular CD-R using the latest codec tech could hold an entire movie's worth of content in at least somewhat watchable quality, and could easily hold an hour of LD quality video.

GD-ROM is basically a CD at slow speed - they didn't even use EFMplus which would've given it another 6% of density.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 16:56 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

Maybe if they didn't have the CD part of the Disc, they probably could have gotten that 6% back & a little more.

What we really need is in 12 inch and 8 inch Blu-ray disc & be a 8k blu-ray player.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2017, 02:56 
Serious fan
Serious fan

Naah, i think it is two worlds diverting.
One is the old world with analogue media as even CDV is for the video part (which makes it so interesting)
The other world is all digital, which can be had as 4K or 8K on a micro sd card.

I shoot for example 4K video with my Sony A6300 where you can basically see every detail,
but also enjoy watching CDVs on standalone cdv players as they have something special about them bringing back fond memories of my teenhood and shine on a crt.

One thing i can think of, when 3D printing will reach nanolevels, to figure out the efm signal and 3D print a disc.
One day one could sort of copy an existing disc that way, find out the toc, markers and efm signal and reverse engineer it and apply it to existing analogue equipment, a former cd plant, or something.

The other way around is like capturing the efm signal as raw and pure as posible and digitize it to let's say 720P or higher.
Like for example in this thread: (WIP) Laserdisc software image decoder from raw signal

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 06:05 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I am convinced the thing can be done. At this time I have no results to report, or indeed any really clear avenue to follow.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2017, 06:53 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

publius wrote:
I am convinced the thing can be done. At this time I have no results to report, or indeed any really clear avenue to follow.

We are in total agreement then.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2023, 17:28 
Genuinely interested
Genuinely interested

So I've got my hands on my first VSD title...

Sagashiteta Onna: Art Japanesque UKIYOE

Quote:
Still shots of old Japanese prints accompanied by synthesizer music "performed live" by Masabumi Kikuchi. Released by Dentsu. Includes insert with credits, which folds out to 20x20 cm. "Not for sale or rental" given as a gift in boxset [PCLX-00009], apparently a promo for full-length release, Pony Canyon [G98X5053] or V150X8212 (VHS, JPY 14,502), according to insert.

Sagashiteta Onna: Art Japanesque UKIYOE (1991) [DVS-00009]

Video Single Disc (VSD) is a disc-based format that carried the same analog video information as a LaserDisc, but on a 12-centimetre (4.75 inch) diameter CD-DA-sized disc. It was spearheaded by Sony and was released in Japan in 1990.[2][3] It was a new variety of laserdisc and variation on the CD Video (CD-V) format, except that VSD disc carried only a video track (of up to 5 minutes' duration), and its associated audio, with no CD-compatible partition. The disc is the same size as a standard CD and holds five minutes of video with digital sound.[1][4] It did not have any additional audio tracks like CD-V. Like CD-V, VSD discs could be played back by multi-disc or LaserDisc players that had VSD playback capability.

So I'm wondering if we could make new titles for LD based on this VSD format? Could it be done???

Attachments:
i-img333x333-1698398368ds7mv71620038.jpg
i-img333x333-1698398368ds7mv71620038.jpg [ 25.26 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2023, 01:40 
Site Admin
Site Admin

laserdick007 wrote:
So I'm wondering if we could make new titles for LD based on this VSD format? Could it be done???

With unlimited engineering time and money, you can give it a go!

=> Recording CDV's on a modern CD/DVD Burner

Julien

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2023, 02:36 
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

laserdick007 wrote:
So I've got my hands on my first VSD title...

Sagashiteta Onna: Art Japanesque UKIYOE

Still shots of old Japanese prints accompanied by synthesizer music "performed live" by Masabumi Kikuchi. Released by Dentsu. Includes insert with credits, which folds out to 20x20 cm. "Not for sale or rental" given as a gift in boxset [PCLX-00009], apparently a promo for full-length release, Pony Canyon [G98X5053] or V150X8212 (VHS, JPY 14,502), according to insert.

Sagashiteta Onna: Art Japanesque UKIYOE (1991) [DVS-00009]

Video Single Disc (VSD) is a disc-based format that carried the same analog video information as a LaserDisc, but on a 12-centimetre (4.75 inch) diameter CD-DA-sized disc. It was spearheaded by Sony and was released in Japan in 1990.[2][3] It was a new variety of laserdisc and variation on the CD Video (CD-V) format, except that VSD disc carried only a video track (of up to 5 minutes' duration), and its associated audio, with no CD-compatible partition. The disc is the same size as a standard CD and holds five minutes of video with digital sound.[1][4] It did not have any additional audio tracks like CD-V. Like CD-V, VSD discs could be played back by multi-disc or LaserDisc players that had VSD playback capability.

There’s no meaningful difference between CDV and VSD. Neither is more or less difficult than the other to make so see the other threads about this same subject. IIRC no one with an advanced knowledge of low level burner hardware has posted anything so it’s all theory.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]