LaserDisc Database
https://forum.lddb.com/

Gold Laserdisc?
https://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8492
Page 1 of 1

Author:  vectrex3000 [ 08 Jul 2019, 13:30 ]
Post subject:  Gold Laserdisc?

Hello, everyone.

Recently i picked up "From Beijing with Love" on Laserdisc (boy was it hilarious! Love Stephen Chiao.) and to my surprise, the disc was actually golden. I have been enjoying Laserdisc for many years now and i've never come across a golden, or 'colored', disc in my life.

I'm curious as to how many people actually own this film and if their disc is golden. I'm also curious if other films may have colored discs or perhaps a golden disk as well.

This is the version i own:
From Beijing with Love (Gwok chaan Ling Ling Chat) (1994) [GD 024]

I bought it brand new (yes, i kept the OBI and original wrapping on it). When i opened it, the disc was gold.

Maybe it's colored due to a chemical reaction? Or maybe this is officially colored.. i don't know. I played the film, 100% in tact. No rot, no playback issues.

This pressing is from Mei Ah Laserdisc company; I wonder if their other titles may be like this.

Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uoe8hqarypctg ... 9.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ux170cj9nvma ... 2.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zb3v3r9p8m523 ... 4.jpg?dl=0

Thanks..

Author:  admin [ 08 Jul 2019, 16:17 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

vectrex3000 wrote:
Recently i picked up "From Beijing with Love" on Laserdisc (boy was it hilarious! Love Stephen Chiao.) and to my surprise, the disc was actually golden.


There are many, many "gold" releases on LD.

Basically it's still an aluminum reflective layer but the acrylic plastic sandwich is yellow colored, making the disc look golden.

All Japan Rental-only titles were released "gold".

Image

A lot of PAL releases were also "gold".

Ex: Image

For HK releases... I can't call myself an expert! But From Beijing with Love (Gwok chaan Ling Ling Chat) (1994) [GD 024] correctly shows plastic as "yellow".

Julien

Author:  signofzeta [ 08 Jul 2019, 17:23 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

Yeah, I have that same disc, a terrific movie. I think that label made tons of gold discs. It’s really common in HK.

I’m pretty sure there is no obi though.

Author:  gypsy [ 08 Jul 2019, 22:34 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

I have a few good lds.

This movie looks great, added to my list.

Author:  forper [ 09 Jul 2019, 00:24 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

I have no gold LDs : ( Lots of Mei Ah and other Hong Kong releases though.

I wanna gold LD!!

Steven Chao annoys the hell out of me

Author:  rein-o [ 09 Jul 2019, 02:31 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

forper wrote:
I have no gold LDs : ( Lots of Mei Ah and other Hong Kong releases though.

I wanna gold LD!!

Steven Chao annoys the hell out of me

I can't say I've seen many of his films other than what was pushed here in the USA.
Shaolin Soccer and Kung Fu Hustle.
The first I didn't really like and the latter I do own on DVD.

This seems like it may be an interesting film but the DVD is sort of expensive for some reason :thumbdown:

Oh wait, I did see another one on LD years ago from a lot I had, he was a lawman in ancient China? or something, not great at all.
Watchable but not great.

Author:  vectrex3000 [ 09 Jul 2019, 06:10 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

signofzeta wrote:
Yeah, I have that same disc, a terrific movie. I think that label made tons of gold discs. It’s really common in HK.

I’m pretty sure there is no obi though.


@OBI, You mean you think it does not have an OBI or you personally don't have the OBI? It has an official OBI.

Anyways, glad to know this is normal. I quite like the gold colored disc.. it's pretty cool. Certainly stands out in the collection.



To the other person above, yes, i heavily recommend this movie!

Author:  rein-o [ 09 Jul 2019, 14:52 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

Some of these non Japanese Asian discs did actually come with obi type strips.
Not like the Japanese ones which had prices on them but just info.

I had Deadly Melody Deadful Melody: Six-Fingered Strings Demon (1993) [94-009] and that had an obi type strip, smaller than the disc but it was there.

Author:  admin [ 09 Jul 2019, 15:22 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

rein-o wrote:
I had Deadly Melody Deadful Melody: Six-Fingered Strings Demon (1993) [94-009] and that had an obi type strip, smaller than the disc but it was there.


I updated to "side, folded" obi for this release, is that accurate?

Julien

Author:  signofzeta [ 09 Jul 2019, 15:51 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

I’ve never had a non-Japanese release of any LD come with an obi so I don’t know. Occasionally I get a little something with a record but that’s it.

Author:  admin [ 09 Jul 2019, 17:07 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

signofzeta wrote:
I’ve never had a non-Japanese release of any LD come with an obi so I don’t know.


Some pan-Europe UK releases had Obi as well.

Ex: Wayne's World (1992) [PLFMB 32301]

Image

And for "colored" discs, Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn: Special Edition (1987) [EE3845] is famous for the red plastic :-P

Julien

Author:  rein-o [ 09 Jul 2019, 17:20 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

admin wrote:
rein-o wrote:
I had Deadly Melody Deadful Melody: Six-Fingered Strings Demon (1993) [94-009] and that had an obi type strip, smaller than the disc but it was there.


I updated to "side, folded" obi for this release, is that accurate?

Julien

Yes thank you.
I did own it, bought it sealed in Chinatown and it had an obi but was about 1 inch shorter than Japanese ones.

I'll see if I can find one on ebay and post a pic, they used to have plenty of copies but as now ebay doesn't have as much.

Author:  vectrex3000 [ 09 Jul 2019, 18:48 ]
Post subject:  Re: Gold Laserdisc?

admin wrote:
rein-o wrote:
I had Deadly Melody Deadful Melody: Six-Fingered Strings Demon (1993) [94-009] and that had an obi type strip, smaller than the disc but it was there.


I updated to "side, folded" obi for this release, is that accurate?

Julien


Yes, the OBI folds around the side.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/