It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:00

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: For anyone interested in CED in the UK
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2011, 01:06 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

I was recently in Stratford Upon Avon and found a great new record shop there called Purple Vinyl. While I was in there I noticed a stack of CEDs in the corner, I can't remember what titles but what caught my attention is that the guy who owned the place said he had a working CED player to sell.

I didn't enquire any further as I'm not that interested in CEDs beyond seeing them as a curiosity and my girlfriend was with me and giving me that "I'm putting up with laserdiscs but don't push me" look.

I thought I'd pass on the info though as it's pretty rare to find a working CED player in the UK, if anyone is interested in exploring the format this could save on postage from the US.

Post subject: Re: For anyone interested in CED in the UK
PostPosted: 03 Nov 2011, 17:36 
Advanced fan
Advanced fan

The CED title database for UK PAL CEDs shows 272 titles. If you get a working player, it sounds like a good start on a collection.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 04:52 
True fan
True fan

hippiedalek wrote:
I was recently in Stratford Upon Avon and found a great new record shop there called Purple Vinyl. While I was in there I noticed a stack of CEDs in the corner, I can't remember what titles but what caught my attention is that the guy who owned the place said he had a working CED player to sell.

I didn't enquire any further as I'm not that interested in CEDs beyond seeing them as a curiosity and my girlfriend was with me and giving me that "I'm putting up with laserdiscs but don't push me" look.

I thought I'd pass on the info though as it's pretty rare to find a working CED player in the UK, if anyone is interested in exploring the format this could save on postage from the US.

Just be aware that stacking CEDs is a bad idea. 5 or more and the discs at the bottom will wind up with crushed grooves.

The format was much better supported in the USA, with over 1,700 NTSC titles.

STAY AWESOME! :)

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 10:11 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Well, they weren't stacked, a bad choice of word on my part, they were leaning against each other in a row in the corner of the room.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2011, 15:27 
True fan
True fan

hippiedalek wrote:
Well, they weren't stacked, a bad choice of word on my part, they were leaning against each other in a row in the corner of the room.

Well, that's better, although storing CEDs that way will cause alot of wear on the spine.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2011, 11:09 
I would be interested in CED however I have NEVER seen a player in Australia. Also no discs in Australia.
But the big killer for me with CED is that you are slowly losing infomation from the disc. An analogy of this would be slowly losing a friend to some disease. It's really heartbreaking when your CED copy you've had for ages eventually doesn't work. :cry:

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2011, 06:05 
True fan
True fan

randomtvandmovie wrote:
I would be interested in CED however I have NEVER seen a player in Australia. Also no discs in Australia.
But the big killer for me with CED is that you are slowly losing infomation from the disc. An analogy of this would be slowly losing a friend to some disease. It's really heartbreaking when your CED copy you've had for ages eventually doesn't work. :cry:

The same can be said of analog videocassette formats like VHS. I have a large VHS collection and am still buying them. I would love it if Julien would add VHS to the Database, although I'm probably alone in that.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2011, 16:05 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

cessnaace wrote:
randomtvandmovie wrote:
The same can be said of analog videocassette formats like VHS. I have a large VHS collection and am still buying them. I would love it if Julien would add VHS to the Database, although I'm probably alone in that.

Nope you are not alone!....I would love VHS to get added as well although I will reduce the amount of work for Julien by only requesting music titles be added!!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 09:00 
True fan
True fan

laserdisc_fan wrote:
cessnaace wrote:
randomtvandmovie wrote:

Nope you are not alone!....I would love VHS to get added as well although I will reduce the amount of work for Julien by only requesting music titles be added!!

I would only exclude kiddie titles and excercise videos. Other than that I'd love to see everything released, even in PAL countries. Especially all the cool Video Nasties banned by the BBFC. I do have some of them on LaserDisc and DVD. I highly recommend the Japanese exclusive release on laserDisc of the uncut version of "Possession." It's a stunning film that I highly recommend. It's weird, but I found it a film impossible to stop watching.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 13:58 
Hardcore fan
Hardcore fan

Given that anybody with two VCRs could be his own video label, I don't believe there's any conceivable way to track VHS "releases". Besides which, why bother? Most of your LDs will be watchable ten years from now, while most VHS tapes aren't now, & a lot of them never really were.

Somebody gave me a brand-new pre-recorded commercial tape once which, judging from the video & audio quality, seemed to have been through the washing machine. Both picture & sound were flaky in the extreme & sometimes dropped out altogether.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 19:54 
Jedi Candidate
Jedi Candidate

VHS went through a really cheap and nasty period in the early 90's where companies were licensed to churn out re-issue after re-issue of the same old fodder.
Many of those later copies were absolute garbage with tonnes of drop outs etc. I tend to buy first edition VHS copies or Japanese tapes which are far higher quality and more durable as they use thicker tape.
Many Japanese VHS tapes 25+ years old play perfectly without a single dropout and contrary to popular believe VHS looks fine on a modern screen if watching through a decent upscaler.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2011, 05:39 
True fan
True fan

publius wrote:
Given that anybody with two VCRs could be his own video label, I don't believe there's any conceivable way to track VHS "releases". Besides which, why bother? Most of your LDs will be watchable ten years from now, while most VHS tapes aren't now, & a lot of them never really were.

Somebody gave me a brand-new pre-recorded commercial tape once which, judging from the video & audio quality, seemed to have been through the washing machine. Both picture & sound were flaky in the extreme & sometimes dropped out altogether.

It depends on the era. I have tapes released in the late 70s and early 80s that play perfectly to this day. Tapes released after the introduction of VHS Hi-Fi were cheaply made. Companies like Blackhawk Films and The Nostalgia Merchant made tapes of extremely high quality.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]